• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

aberdeen, hoquiam, grays harbor, ocean shores, olympia, lacey

fire suppressor

A week or two ago I actually took a few days off from work and spent a few days relaxing in Ocean Shores with my lady friend. I had been to Ocean Shores before but never as a avid open carrier so I was not sure what to expect from the locals. We hit up Aberdeen on our way in to grab something quick to eat (quick is about all the time I wanted to spend in Aberdeen) before we continued. We ate at a Subway in Aberdeen and had not problems with my gun I even got a few smiles from the people in line. Aberdeen was a little dirty for my taste and the number bums, poorly dressed teenagers and no panhandling signs I saw did not make me feel very comfortable. After our food was gone so where we. We stayed at the Shilo and by the time I walked in to the hotel the weather had forced my jacket back on me so I was CC when I went up to the counter so I can not tell you how well the Shilo received my XD. We spent the next couple of days sight seeing and driving around general hoquiam, grays harbor and relaxing and exploring all over Ocean Shores. The weather was windy and wet our entire visit so I was CC outside in the weather and OC once inside a store or restaurant. We stayed for several days and had no problems at all people out there looked a little more laid back and even though I did not see anyone ells open carrying all the residents I saw on my trip looked like the 2nd amendment gun carrying type. My gun got us little if any attention witch was a nice surprise I thought maybe all the tourism had ruined the gun culture out there.

On our way back we drove through Olympia to look at the state capital and we parked and walked around a little bit. The weather was nicer now that I was off the cost line so my Olympia trip was all open carry. We walked around the capital building and the fountains and the statues outside all with out any problems. Next stop on out list was to Lacey for Sushi at Koibito, I had taken my lovely girlfriend there on a date a year ago and had a great time and we wanted to go back. The food was amazing as it was out first visit and I do not think anyone even noticed my gun. They do good business there and we arrived with the dinner rush and the restaurant was so busy I do not think anyone had enough time to look down and notice. After sushi we got back on I-5 the traffic we so bad we stopped at a big lots over near Cabela's to let the traffic thin out a little. After some time in the store and buying a few things we did not know we could not live without we where headed home.

All and all a very nice couple of days off and a great worry free open carry experience. I do not get out that way much so I thought I would share

amzbrady

I lived in Ocean Shores for 5 years. I carried concealed until I found this site and studied up before venturing out so I would know how to handle an interaction if one arose, I didnt want one of my first 11 posts to be one of those posts on "what do I do now". I worked for the local tow company which the bosses son had a very nice gun collection and WAS looking into opening a gun shop in the back of the mechanic shop. We opened crried during work too, unless we had to crawl under a vehicle. The local police, Grays Harbor sheriffs, and Washington State patrol got used to seeing me carrying. I never had a problem there. The weather being what it is means if there were alot of open carriers, you probably wouldnt see many there. I dont miss cleaning my firearm after every beach tow on a stormy day. Aberdeen has been increasingly going down, I did however spot my first unicorn in Aberdeen walking to a safeway with his wife and kid. I pulled up to see if he knew of this forum and yelled "Hey, Hang on a sec, I wanna ask you something", He yelled back "NO" and kept going. Bummer My unicorn was the wrong breed and wound up an ass instead of a unicorn. I do miss driving the beach and metal detecting out there. One of my favorite things was picking up sand toys after people left them, then handing them out to kids where the parents or grandparents came unprepared. I used to stop downwind and toss beach balls out in front of groups of people and let the wind take it to them.

Anyway hope you had a good time.

fire suppressor

All us out here in dirty Aberdeen still take baths and we open carry all the time with np.

How is the crime rate there? I try not to judge people biased on their looks but I saw a lot of questionable people when I was there, even stepped over a few needles

okkid

Well let me see 2 blocks away from me a man and his wife got killed over some gold rings
he had and then not to long ago a guy was killed in his home as well for drugs.

I have had to pull my gun one time to stop a guy trying to rob me and yes he run and he run very
fast.SO the crime rate here is going up with all the crack heads doing whatever they have to do to
get there next fix.

I have found needles by the river on 28th st in Hoquiam there is a look out tower and all
kinds of scumbags hang out there so this is not the best place to live anymore.

Stealth

I oc in Safeway and Walwart in Aberdeen all the time. Also oc in Elma. Never have any trouble.
But after today the police will be jumpy.

amzbrady

I had an interview at the Aberdeen Express Services and open carried to it. They sent me in to take a pee test and made me empty my pockets and said I'd have to leave my firearm too. I took my holster off my belt, and left it in the care of the guy waiting for the cup. I came back out and traded my cup o pee for my firearm. That was wierd, but no problemo. I never had a problem in Aberdeen.

BTW, did you know the toothbrush was invented in Aberdeen, If it was invented anywhere else it would have been a teethbrush. :banana: