Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: What is it with Gun Stores?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Tony4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    474

    What is it with Gun Stores?

    No offense to Glock owners.

    As of late when I look at pistols ( FNH is what I've been looking at ). I find the sales people keep trying to get me to switch to Glock. I tell them I have no interest in Glock, but they persist by telling me " ONCE YOU GO GLOCK. YOU'LL FEEL SAFER " or my favorite " YOU'LL HAVE BETTER CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND LESS PROBLEMS THAN YOU DO WITH THAT RUGER YOU NOW CARRY " which is untrue because I haven't had any issues with mine. So, my question is this. Why the hell do they keep trying to push me towards Glock for? What part of I'M NOT INTERESTED IN GLOCKS do they not get?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Mo., ,
    Posts
    490
    I dunno ... Not like that around here , really. At least not the places I go to.

    I'm not a Glock man myself, but I ended up with 3 of 'em.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    It's not like that where I've bought guns. Most of the places I go to try to push me away from Glock, even when I specifically want to look at a Glock.

    I think they basically push whatever they get the most commission on at that time.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

  4. #4
    Regular Member Tony4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    474
    That is what I'm guessing is they have a back log of Glocks and not moving them.

  5. #5
    Regular Member G30Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Joseph MO
    Posts
    120
    You should buy a Glock!
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    middle
    Posts
    8
    wrong store/s

  7. #7
    Regular Member mspgunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellisville, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,966
    advantage of Glock... "combat ready".

    I'm not in combat, don't care much for glocks.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

  8. #8
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    stick w/your FN choice, thinking about the Five-seveN as it is a dream to shoot? i have enjoyed mine for quite a number of years and as for customer service...OUTSTANDING from my personal experience...

    while on the range in active fire, the mag fell out on the ground. picked it up and slammed it back in...fell out again. inspection showed the mag release had broken and therefore wouldn't actively engage the mag to hold it in place.

    sent an email that evening whining to the company about it. i received a response dated at 0930 the next day explaining the company was aware of the 'design' issue w/their reversable mag release clip. i received a call later that day from a FNH representative who personally explained the situation and they did not have any of the mag release button so couldn't send me an immediate fix. i mentioned i had the button but lost the steel spring clip which held the button into place. the rep said excellent i would get replacement springs immediately and to install them so it had a 'left' hand mag release capability. i received replacement spring clips the next day, installed them and i was back in business. i called 45 days later and asked if they had a fix yet and i was immediately sent the new clip spring(s) which have worked superbly for the last 2 years.

    infact my next firearm is going to be their 9mm.

    wabbit

    ps: not a glock fan no matter how many times they are used in movies and on tv shows. (marketing works eh?)
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 03-05-2012 at 07:25 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    advantage of Glock... "combat ready".

    I'm not in combat, don't care much for glocks.
    I used to have you held in high esteem, but after that comment, I have second thoughts!! !
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Regular Member cshoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Missouri, USA
    Posts
    687
    In my experience, about 90%+ of gun stores/gun store employees, pretty much suck. I've been into dozens upon dozens of gun stores over the years and about 9 out of 10 are run by pompous, self-important, "experts" that wouldn't know good customer service if it bit them in the backside. Heck, half of the shops I've been into treat you more as an inconvenience rather than a customer.

    I can appreciate a helpful employee that will help point out features and differences between various models I might be looking at, but I'm not much on any salesperson trying to push their "pet" brand/model/caliber on me for whatever reason.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    stick w/your FN choice, thinking about the Five-seveN as it is a dream to shoot? i have enjoyed mine for quite a number of years and as for customer service...OUTSTANDING from my personal experience...

    while on the range in active fire, the mag fell out on the ground. picked it up and slammed it back in...fell out again. inspection showed the mag release had broken and therefore wouldn't actively engage the mag to hold it in place.

    sent an email that evening whining to the company about it. i received a response dated at 0930 the next day explaining the company was aware of the 'design' issue w/their reversable mag release clip. i received a call later that day from a FNH representative who personally explained the situation and they did not have any of the mag release button so couldn't send me an immediate fix. i mentioned i had the button but lost the steel spring clip which held the button into place. the rep said excellent i would get replacement springs immediately and to install them so it had a 'left' hand mag release capability. i received replacement spring clips the next day, installed them and i was back in business. i called 45 days later and asked if they had a fix yet and i was immediately sent the new clip spring(s) which have worked superbly for the last 2 years.

    infact my next firearm is going to be their 9mm.

    wabbit

    ps: not a glock fan no matter how many times they are used in movies and on tv shows. (marketing works eh?)
    I'm a big FN fan also and have the FNP-9 which is a great gun. Are you looking at the FNP, FNX, or the new FNS model? Tonight I'm planning to shoot the Five-seveN at the range as I've been looking at them for a long time but have never shot one. I just don't understand the $1000 price for it, but maybe after shooting one I may change my mind about justifying the price.

  12. #12
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    me thinks it will be obvious after you run a couple rounds through it...hollar back w/your thoughts would enjoy hearing your thoughts..

    not sure which 9 i will pick up as it depends on availability in the area.

    enjoy the FivenseveN today

    wabbit

    ps: remember ammo is 24-28 per box of fifty...only draw back i can see to the weapon

  13. #13
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    In my experience, about 90%+ of gun stores/gun store employees, pretty much suck. I've been into dozens upon dozens of gun stores over the years and about 9 out of 10 are run by pompous, self-important, "experts" that wouldn't know good customer service if it bit them in the backside. Heck, half of the shops I've been into treat you more as an inconvenience rather than a customer.

    I can appreciate a helpful employee that will help point out features and differences between various models I might be looking at, but I'm not much on any salesperson trying to push their "pet" brand/model/caliber on me for whatever reason.
    Agree 100%!

    Seems the more I go into these stores, the more pervasive it is. However, I stopped in Academy Sports in Cedar Park TX last week and was looking at a Gen4 G26; starting talking to the clerk and he admitted he was not familiar with handguns to provide much info, except what the manufacturer had provided to them to say. Finally someone who was honest!
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Glocks are the simplest. A lot of gun salesmen are simple people. Glocks have Gunny Hartman. We like Gunny Hartman.

    I love cars, too. But I would never let a car salesman teach me the differences between models and makers on a lot of cars that he was selling.

    Do your own research from known knowledgeable, non-biased parties, like us!

    Always know more about the product than the salesmen.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  15. #15
    Regular Member Tony4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    474
    I've always gone with what I was comfortable with. Glocks shoot well, but just not my cup of tea.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    In my experience, about 90%+ of gun stores/gun store employees, pretty much suck. I've been into dozens upon dozens of gun stores over the years and about 9 out of 10 are run by pompous, self-important, "experts" that wouldn't know good customer service if it bit them in the backside. Heck, half of the shops I've been into treat you more as an inconvenience rather than a customer.

    I can appreciate a helpful employee that will help point out features and differences between various models I might be looking at, but I'm not much on any salesperson trying to push their "pet" brand/model/caliber on me for whatever reason.
    Thanks, cshoff. You saved me a lot of typing.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    me thinks it will be obvious after you run a couple rounds through it...hollar back w/your thoughts would enjoy hearing your thoughts..

    not sure which 9 i will pick up as it depends on availability in the area.

    enjoy the FivenseveN today

    wabbit

    ps: remember ammo is 24-28 per box of fifty...only draw back i can see to the weapon
    I shot the Five-seveN last night and was really happy with it. The box of 50 rounds at the range was almost $30 with tax, but I'm sure it would be cheaper by buying in bulk online. The grip felt different than my other FN's, but it fit nicely in my hand. Recoil was light, as I expected it would be. It shot tight groups at 7 - 15 yards. The only thing that surprised me was the bright flash from the 5.7 rounds. When I returned the gun to the range employee at the counter, I mentioned the bright flash and asked him if that was normal for the 5.7 round. He said it was normal, then smiled and told me I should try shooting it at night. I really enjoyed shooting it and am sure my wife would enjoy shooting it as well.

    If I decided to buy one, I'm not sure how I would use it. The ammo is too expensive to be considered a great all-day plinking gun, and I'm afraid the small high velocity rounds would be likely to go through a person in a self-defense situation. Wabbit, do you carry it for SD purposes, and if so what type of SD ammo do you carry in it?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    I like my Hi-Point 9mm. It shoots anything, even steel-cased Russian ammo. No, it's not a Glock.

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    So... Did you buy a glock yet Tony?


    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  20. #20
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus97 View Post
    I shot the Five-seveN last night and was really happy with it. The box of 50 rounds at the range was almost $30 with tax, but I'm sure it would be cheaper by buying in bulk online.
    snip

    Wabbit, do you carry it for SD purposes, and if so what type of SD ammo do you carry in it?
    Morphesus, glad you were able to experience the firearm first hand and it seems were delighted in how it responded.

    i have not found it much cheeeper than 20$ on line (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FESS197SR-1.html) plus shipping so cost wise it is about the same as buying from the locals. I normally try to buy at least one box every couple of weeks from the local establishments (i liken it to someone buying a cup of starbucks every couple of days...and since i have never had a cup of coffee!! )

    Yes it is my carry, using a sepra holster, w/second mag kept in all vehicles . i use the HK USP 9 to initially train my muscle reflex and then followed up w/a couple of 5.7 rounds shot to assure i wasn't thrown off by the HK's weight. I used maybe 1-2 boxes of getting use to the firearm.

    I purchased the browning 22 buckmark to replicate the lightweight of the 5.7 to work on different fire scenarios, e.g., moving, target, etc.

    sidebar: several years ago right after i initially got the firearm, i took a NRA course where i was stuck w/only the 5.7 to use - we ran through 300+ rounds...i almost openly weeped when i was done w/that course. i now travel w/multiple firearms whenever i am teaching or participating in a course or during zombie shoots.

    wabbit

    ps: if you do not have the 'olde man' hand shake or bad eyesight it will accurately put a nice pattern at 20+ yards. my best is around 12 yards.
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 03-08-2012 at 11:01 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    26

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    I like my Hi-Point 9mm. It shoots anything, even steel-cased Russian ammo. No, it's not a Glock.
    It's close ....... maybe better .

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Spfld, Mo.
    Posts
    430
    Hey Tony, want one of my Glocks?

    Just kidding and you know it.

    However, if you pick up that FN be sure to post up how it shoots. I simply cannot find one that fits my hand the way I would like, but I certainly won't pass up a chance to shoot one.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    In my experience, about 90%+ of gun stores/gun store employees, pretty much suck. I've been into dozens upon dozens of gun stores over the years and about 9 out of 10 are run by pompous, self-important, "experts" that wouldn't know good customer service if it bit them in the backside. Heck, half of the shops I've been into treat you more as an inconvenience rather than a customer.

    I can appreciate a helpful employee that will help point out features and differences between various models I might be looking at, but I'm not much on any salesperson trying to push their "pet" brand/model/caliber on me for whatever reason.
    You know, I thought it was just the stores I went to. Now that I think about it, I find the majority of gun store sales people "inconvenienced".

    Good thing that 95% of my purchases are NOT in stores. Screw them, let their business fail.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

    "The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    613
    You have to buy what you like, feel comfortable with, and what does the job you need done.

    I buy Glocks because I do NOT enjoy the meticulous care many handguns require and I would feel very comfortable taking my Glock on the road in a SHTF scenario with little or no maintenance materials. It is the least likely to rust and performs very well in the weather.

    Now if I just wanted a pretty gun for a shooting hobby, I would definitely get something else. But my Glock is purely a tool, not a toy. I would get an anniversary 1911 for show
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

    "The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

  25. #25
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Some stores get kickbacks on certain guns. Completely legitimate, but they obviously will push you to that brand. Glocks are good guns; FNs, SIGs and H&Ks are great guns. They don't compete with each other as they are different fire control systems: striker vs SA/DA, and different price points. Glocks are in with M&Ps and XD/Ms, not FNPs. I have an XD/M which I really like--far better imo than a Glock. But, price aside, I'd buy an FN or SIG over a Glock any day. If price is a concern, check out the SA and Smith striker fires. Also, not a damned thing wrong with a Ruger.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •