• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is it with Gun Stores?

REALteach4u

Hey Tony, want one of my Glocks?

Just kidding and you know it.

However, if you pick up that FN be sure to post up how it shoots. I simply cannot find one that fits my hand the way I would like, but I certainly won't pass up a chance to shoot one.

peterarthur

In my experience, about 90%+ of gun stores/gun store employees, pretty much suck. I've been into dozens upon dozens of gun stores over the years and about 9 out of 10 are run by pompous, self-important, "experts" that wouldn't know good customer service if it bit them in the backside. Heck, half of the shops I've been into treat you more as an inconvenience rather than a customer.

I can appreciate a helpful employee that will help point out features and differences between various models I might be looking at, but I'm not much on any salesperson trying to push their "pet" brand/model/caliber on me for whatever reason.

You know, I thought it was just the stores I went to. Now that I think about it, I find the majority of gun store sales people "inconvenienced".

Good thing that 95% of my purchases are NOT in stores. Screw them, let their business fail.

peterarthur

You have to buy what you like, feel comfortable with, and what does the job you need done.

I buy Glocks because I do NOT enjoy the meticulous care many handguns require and I would feel very comfortable taking my Glock on the road in a SHTF scenario with little or no maintenance materials. It is the least likely to rust and performs very well in the weather.

Now if I just wanted a pretty gun for a shooting hobby, I would definitely get something else. But my Glock is purely a tool, not a toy. I would get an anniversary 1911 for show :)

Gunslinger

Some stores get kickbacks on certain guns. Completely legitimate, but they obviously will push you to that brand. Glocks are good guns; FNs, SIGs and H&Ks are great guns. They don't compete with each other as they are different fire control systems: striker vs SA/DA, and different price points. Glocks are in with M&Ps and XD/Ms, not FNPs. I have an XD/M which I really like--far better imo than a Glock. But, price aside, I'd buy an FN or SIG over a Glock any day. If price is a concern, check out the SA and Smith striker fires. Also, not a damned thing wrong with a Ruger.

Mas49.56

I've created many new shooters over the years. I take them out to the range with a wide variety of handguns and simply let them decide what works for them. Always try to shoot one before ya buy one. Stick to your guns and buy exactly what works best for you! Girls are funny, they almost always pick up the little 22lr, 380's first to shoot. But, by the time the day is done they wind up loving a mid/full size 9mm-.45! Nothing pisses a gun counter know it all off more, than a woman telling him to get stuffed and hand her the exact one she wants! Don't let them boss you around!

MKEgal

MAC702 said:
Do your own research...
Always know more about the product than the salesmen.
Amen.
Though I've found one shop in my area with staff who are honest, knowledgable, & not at all sexist. Them I'm OK learning from; other places I'll listen, take notes, then go research it myself.

REALteach4u said:
Hey Tony, want one of my Glocks?
If you're giving them away I'll take one. :D

Mas49.56 said:
Nothing pisses a gun counter know it all off more than a woman telling him to get stuffed and hand her the exact one she wants!
When I was shopping for my first pistol I had _one_ clerk try to steer me to something I'd already determined was unsuited to my purposes (mostly 'cause it was too small for my hands).

When I'd decided on a particular Glock as my next acquisition, I rented one first then went to a show to find one to bring home. To their credit, none of the vendors at that show tried to steer me away from what I was looking for.

I've also had the "fun" of the range know-it-all trying to give advice.
I'll listen, in case they do know something useful, but so far the ones I've run into don't actually know much & seem to assume boobs make one unable to understand how to shoot.
If he's obnoxious I'll explain my credentials... :rolleyes:
One afternoon I had a couple guys assume that I was the student (outdoor range, shooting with a friend for fun & zombies) & my friend explained that no, I'm an instructor. Loved their faces. :cool: