• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is it with Gun Stores?

Tony4310

No offense to Glock owners.

As of late when I look at pistols ( FNH is what I've been looking at ). I find the sales people keep trying to get me to switch to Glock. I tell them I have no interest in Glock, but they persist by telling me " ONCE YOU GO GLOCK. YOU'LL FEEL SAFER " or my favorite " YOU'LL HAVE BETTER CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND LESS PROBLEMS THAN YOU DO WITH THAT RUGER YOU NOW CARRY " which is untrue because I haven't had any issues with mine. So, my question is this. Why the hell do they keep trying to push me towards Glock for? What part of I'M NOT INTERESTED IN GLOCKS do they not get?

Oramac

It's not like that where I've bought guns. Most of the places I go to try to push me away from Glock, even when I specifically want to look at a Glock.

I think they basically push whatever they get the most commission on at that time.

ncwabbit

stick w/your FN choice, thinking about the Five-seveN as it is a dream to shoot? i have enjoyed mine for quite a number of years and as for customer service...OUTSTANDING from my personal experience...

while on the range in active fire, the mag fell out on the ground. picked it up and slammed it back in...fell out again. inspection showed the mag release had broken and therefore wouldn't actively engage the mag to hold it in place.

sent an email that evening whining to the company about it. i received a response dated at 0930 the next day explaining the company was aware of the 'design' issue w/their reversable mag release clip. i received a call later that day from a FNH representative who personally explained the situation and they did not have any of the mag release button so couldn't send me an immediate fix. i mentioned i had the button but lost the steel spring clip which held the button into place. the rep said excellent i would get replacement springs immediately and to install them so it had a 'left' hand mag release capability. i received replacement spring clips the next day, installed them and i was back in business. i called 45 days later and asked if they had a fix yet and i was immediately sent the new clip spring(s) which have worked superbly for the last 2 years.

infact my next firearm is going to be their 9mm.

wabbit

ps: not a glock fan no matter how many times they are used in movies and on tv shows. (marketing works eh?)

Last edited:

cshoff

In my experience, about 90%+ of gun stores/gun store employees, pretty much suck. I've been into dozens upon dozens of gun stores over the years and about 9 out of 10 are run by pompous, self-important, "experts" that wouldn't know good customer service if it bit them in the backside. Heck, half of the shops I've been into treat you more as an inconvenience rather than a customer.

I can appreciate a helpful employee that will help point out features and differences between various models I might be looking at, but I'm not much on any salesperson trying to push their "pet" brand/model/caliber on me for whatever reason.

Morpheus97

stick w/your FN choice, thinking about the Five-seveN as it is a dream to shoot? i have enjoyed mine for quite a number of years and as for customer service...OUTSTANDING from my personal experience...

while on the range in active fire, the mag fell out on the ground. picked it up and slammed it back in...fell out again. inspection showed the mag release had broken and therefore wouldn't actively engage the mag to hold it in place.

sent an email that evening whining to the company about it. i received a response dated at 0930 the next day explaining the company was aware of the 'design' issue w/their reversable mag release clip. i received a call later that day from a FNH representative who personally explained the situation and they did not have any of the mag release button so couldn't send me an immediate fix. i mentioned i had the button but lost the steel spring clip which held the button into place. the rep said excellent i would get replacement springs immediately and to install them so it had a 'left' hand mag release capability. i received replacement spring clips the next day, installed them and i was back in business. i called 45 days later and asked if they had a fix yet and i was immediately sent the new clip spring(s) which have worked superbly for the last 2 years.

infact my next firearm is going to be their 9mm.

wabbit

ps: not a glock fan no matter how many times they are used in movies and on tv shows. (marketing works eh?)

I'm a big FN fan also and have the FNP-9 which is a great gun. Are you looking at the FNP, FNX, or the new FNS model? Tonight I'm planning to shoot the Five-seveN at the range as I've been looking at them for a long time but have never shot one. I just don't understand the $1000 price for it, but maybe after shooting one I may change my mind about justifying the price.

ncwabbit

me thinks it will be obvious after you run a couple rounds through it...hollar back w/your thoughts would enjoy hearing your thoughts..

not sure which 9 i will pick up as it depends on availability in the area.

enjoy the FivenseveN today

wabbit

ps: remember ammo is 24-28 per box of fifty...only draw back i can see to the weapon

Redbaron007

In my experience, about 90%+ of gun stores/gun store employees, pretty much suck. I've been into dozens upon dozens of gun stores over the years and about 9 out of 10 are run by pompous, self-important, "experts" that wouldn't know good customer service if it bit them in the backside. Heck, half of the shops I've been into treat you more as an inconvenience rather than a customer.

I can appreciate a helpful employee that will help point out features and differences between various models I might be looking at, but I'm not much on any salesperson trying to push their "pet" brand/model/caliber on me for whatever reason.

Agree 100%!

Seems the more I go into these stores, the more pervasive it is. However, I stopped in Academy Sports in Cedar Park TX last week and was looking at a Gen4 G26; starting talking to the clerk and he admitted he was not familiar with handguns to provide much info, except what the manufacturer had provided to them to say. Finally someone who was honest!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Glocks are the simplest. A lot of gun salesmen are simple people. Glocks have Gunny Hartman. We like Gunny Hartman.

I love cars, too. But I would never let a car salesman teach me the differences between models and makers on a lot of cars that he was selling.

Do your own research from known knowledgeable, non-biased parties, like us! :p

Always know more about the product than the salesmen.

Mo

Banned

Thanks, cshoff. You saved me a lot of typing. :D

Morpheus97

me thinks it will be obvious after you run a couple rounds through it...hollar back w/your thoughts would enjoy hearing your thoughts..

not sure which 9 i will pick up as it depends on availability in the area.

enjoy the FivenseveN today

wabbit

ps: remember ammo is 24-28 per box of fifty...only draw back i can see to the weapon

I shot the Five-seveN last night and was really happy with it. The box of 50 rounds at the range was almost $30 with tax, but I'm sure it would be cheaper by buying in bulk online. The grip felt different than my other FN's, but it fit nicely in my hand. Recoil was light, as I expected it would be. It shot tight groups at 7 - 15 yards. The only thing that surprised me was the bright flash from the 5.7 rounds. When I returned the gun to the range employee at the counter, I mentioned the bright flash and asked him if that was normal for the 5.7 round. He said it was normal, then smiled and told me I should try shooting it at night. I really enjoyed shooting it and am sure my wife would enjoy shooting it as well.

If I decided to buy one, I'm not sure how I would use it. The ammo is too expensive to be considered a great all-day plinking gun, and I'm afraid the small high velocity rounds would be likely to go through a person in a self-defense situation. Wabbit, do you carry it for SD purposes, and if so what type of SD ammo do you carry in it?

ncwabbit

I shot the Five-seveN last night and was really happy with it. The box of 50 rounds at the range was almost $30 with tax, but I'm sure it would be cheaper by buying in bulk online.
snip

Wabbit, do you carry it for SD purposes, and if so what type of SD ammo do you carry in it?

Morphesus, glad you were able to experience the firearm first hand and it seems were delighted in how it responded.

i have not found it much cheeeper than 20$ on line (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FESS197SR-1.html) plus shipping so cost wise it is about the same as buying from the locals. I normally try to buy at least one box every couple of weeks from the local establishments (i liken it to someone buying a cup of starbucks every couple of days...and since i have never had a cup of coffee!! :banana:)

Yes it is my carry, using a sepra holster, w/second mag kept in all vehicles . i use the HK USP 9 to initially train my muscle reflex and then followed up w/a couple of 5.7 rounds shot to assure i wasn't thrown off by the HK's weight. I used maybe 1-2 boxes of getting use to the firearm.

I purchased the browning 22 buckmark to replicate the lightweight of the 5.7 to work on different fire scenarios, e.g., moving, target, etc.

sidebar: several years ago right after i initially got the firearm, i took a NRA course where i was stuck w/only the 5.7 to use - we ran through 300+ rounds...i almost openly weeped when i was done w/that course. i now travel w/multiple firearms whenever i am teaching or participating in a course or during zombie shoots.

wabbit

ps: if you do not have the 'olde man' hand shake or bad eyesight it will accurately put a nice pattern at 20+ yards. my best is around 12 yards.

Last edited: