• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fingerprint backlog - hear an official lie at the LOB

KIX

Yep......

I took audio from the day I testified last week and couldn't refuse this little gem.

Chief of Staff for DESPP or whatever the DPS's new acronym is now..... flat out lying about the process. Said they have 8 weeks to process prints! He also said pistol permits are being bumped up to the front..... we all know that ain't true.

Only a few minutes, I boosted the audio so it should be pretty clear for ya'll.

http://youtu.be/vDLX3B0GLOo

The only thing more sickening is him using the opportunity to get support for more funds to expedite prints...... like they don't get enough from citizens as it is.

Jonathan

Rich B

Said they have 8 weeks to process prints!

Well if we want to go letter of the law, they don't have any deadline other than 8 weeks to complete their fingerprinting process. So this is true. It certainly is against the spirit of the law however.

He also said pistol permits are being bumped up to the front..... we all know that ain't true.

What evidence do we have of that? We have been reassured many times they put a priority on pistol permits and there are many background checks languishing for many other things, not just permits. Can you show me where the data exists that they are not putting a priority on pistol permits?

The only part I hear in his testimony that is truly deceiving is that he is trying to get the fingerprint equipment and processing funding, when we can simply go by the Federal background check, mail it back to the local issuing authority and be done with it. The hold up is not in the fingerprinting or Federal check, it is in the returning of the Federal check to the local issuing authorities.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't see the NEED for fingerprinting nor that this is anything other than voluntary information provided. Unless they claim that you are not the person requesting the permit, then why is fingerprinting an issue at all?

KIX

Well if we want to go letter of the law, they don't have any deadline other than 8 weeks to complete their fingerprinting process. So this is true. It certainly is against the spirit of the law however.

I don't think so, as this is just one component of the law. If they take 8 weeks on prints, then it is impossible for a citizen to get a permit in the time allotted by law. No time for any investigation, interview, issuance of temporary permit, etc. The whole permit process is limited to 8 weeks, not just the prints. More than "the spirit of the law" in my opinion.

What evidence do we have of that? We have been reassured many times they put a priority on pistol permits and there are many background checks languishing for many other things, not just permits. Can you show me where the data exists that they are not putting a priority on pistol permits?

Can you or have they shown us that they have indeed put priority on the prints? I think the evidence speaks for itself. We know it's a fairly automated process and doesn't take that long. You have said so yourself.

I'm just not buying it, especially when you throw in the "if you help us get more funds....." angle in the mix.

I don't trust 'em as far as I can throw 'em. Bottom line - unlike other background checks, ours is mandated by a timeline and we pay a price for these background checks. They make more than enough money off of us for our background checks, they can afford to have enough staff to process them.

Jonathan

Ravery

I Get It Now

Okay, so it is not an issue of delaying the permit process because they are antigun. It is a case of using a vocal group of individuals (permit holders / applicants) to further ones agenda. Delay the process- permit holders complain- hearings take place-say you are really trying hard but if I had more money we could get the job done on time.

I feel used!

Rich B

I don't think so, as this is just one component of the law. If they take 8 weeks on prints, then it is impossible for a citizen to get a permit in the time allotted by law. No time for any investigation, interview, issuance of temporary permit, etc. The whole permit process is limited to 8 weeks, not just the prints. More than "the spirit of the law" in my opinion.

There is no deadline or timespan prescribed in the law about how long the SPBI has to take other than 8 weeks. The local issuing authority is not required to wait for the background check to be completed to issue the temp permit. What the man in the audio said was correct.

I think the evidence speaks for itself.

What evidence? The evidence I can see says everything that requires a background check is held up.

The people at DPS have been talked to by directors of Connecticut Carry and by state representatives and all of the documents so far show a huge generalized backlog. We have also had assurances that DPS has always and is currently putting permits at a higher priority. That doesn't mean I like, favor or trust DPS or SPBI or the statutes that make this mess in the first place (far from it since I am the only one who testified against giving DPS a mandatory 60 day excuse for EC background checks via SB 64), but this does seem to be the reality at the moment.

Legislation has been suggested and proposed to the legislature that would rectify much of this issue, but obviously I am not holding my breath during this legislative session. Nothing new is going to get entered at this point.

If you have evidence that shows something to the contrary, please present it.

Edward Peruta

We just need facts to know the truth

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:58 AM
To: 'reuben.bradford@ct.gov'; 'Hatfield, Thomas'; 'DPS Dawn Hellier'; Seth.Mancini@po.state.ct.us; 'christina.lussier@po.state.ct.us'
Cc: Cc: 'Rachel M. Baird'; 'attorney.general@ct.gov'; 'Anthony.Guglielmo@cga.ct.gov'; 'robert.ward@cga.ct.gov'Subject: Request for prompt access to computer generated and stored data

Commissioner Bradford,

Please forward this request to the SPBI Unit and Ms. Powell.

As the custodian of your department’s public records and information, I request that you direct the appropriate members of your department to provide prompt access to the information requested in this email.

The following is a request for prompt access to readily accessible non exempt computer generated data regarding the process of obtaining STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records check information from SPBI.

I request that this information be made available in a workable computer file where sorting of the fields is possible to analyze the information provided.

Following recent testimony by Steven Spellmanto the State Legislature regarding the current backlog of STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records checks in your SPBI Unit, I request the following. Mr. Spellman’s testimony is available for your review at this internet location: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDLX3B0GLOo&feature=youtu.be )

The list of codes used to identify and/or classify the reason for the STATE CRMINAL HISTORY records check being requested.

A complete computer file listing all fingerprint based requests for STATE CRIMNAL HISTORY records checks made to your Department’s SPBI unit SINCE OCTOBER 1, 2009, relating to applications, licenses, permits, employment or positions whether public or private. The following areas are specifically requested and may be expanded upon receipt of the codes used to classify the type of request made to SPBI.

1. Fingerprint based requests for STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records checks received regarding Public employment with any federal, state or local government agency or department.
2. Fingerprint based requests for STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records checks received regarding Public or Private Employment or positions where criminal history records checks are required by law.
3. Fingerprint based requests for STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records checks received from private employers.
4. Fingerprint based requests for STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records checks received regarding from private individuals.
5. Fingerprint based requests for STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records checks made where expedited handling is requested.
6. Fingerprint based requests for STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records checks received regarding ANY AND/OR ALL Federal, State or Local Permits and/or licenses.
7. Fingerprint based requests for STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY records checks received regarding applications to obtain or renew Permits to Carry Pistols or revolvers.

The minimum information requested includes but is not limited to:

The specific name of the company or government agency making the request on an individual
The date each request was received by SPBI
The date each request was completed by SPBI
The date each request was returned to the individual, company or government agency that made the request
The amount charged and/or received regarding the request.
The code assigned to classify the reason for the request.
A complete list of codes used to classify the reasons for the STATE CRMINAL HISTORY RECORDS CHECK being conducted.
Any recent or current directives put in place since October 1, 2009 to prioritize the handling of STATE CRMINAL HISTORY RECORDS CHECKS.
Any recent or current directives put in place since October 1, 2009 to prioritize STATE CRMINAL HISTORY RECORDS CHECKS pertaining to Permits to Carry Pistols or Revolvers.

This request is for PROMPT ACCESS due in part to the current backlog as recently testified to by Steven Spellmanto the Connecticut State Legislature in behalf of your department/agency.

The public records and information requested AT THIS TIME, does not currently include the name of the individuals who were the subject of the STATE CRMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECKS.

This information is similar to and an expansion of, information previously obtained regarding backlogged requests regarding Temporary Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

This information is needed to properly inform and discuss the issue with members of the legislature and public regarding the current situation regarding the backlog of STATE CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECKS many of which have been paid for in advance by those who made the requests.

I am prepared to discuss and explain this request should you or any member of your agency have problems understanding what is requested.

I authorized Attorney Rachel M. Baird to act in my behalf in obtaining the requested information and records.

Respectfully,

Edward A. Peruta
American News and Information Services Inc.
38 Parish Road
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
I am currently out of state for an extended period of time, and request any response to be made via email to edperuta@amcable.tv and/or rbaird@rachelbairdlaw.com

Edward Peruta

My thoughts to Gov. Malloy

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 10:54 AM
To: 'Lawlor, Mike'
Cc: 'Rachel M. Baird'
Subject: FW: Request for prompt access to computer generated and stored data

Mike,

Every individual who is the subject of a State Criminal History Records check for a Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols or revolvers has paid the unauthorized $50.00 fee top the state.

Kindly inform Governor Malloy that I would like him to instruct his agencies to strictly adhere to the laws as passed though the legislative process.

Obtaining and possessing a handgun or firearm in the home by non-disqualified individuals is a CORE Second Amendment Right under both the State and Federal Constitutions.
To collect fees without first performing the service paid for is outrageous.
To mislead elected public officials in the performance of their duties is also outrageous.
I believe that there is NO priority put on state background checks for those seeking Permits to Carry or Eligibility Certificates and the legislature was misled by Steve Spellman.
If the lack of manpower or funds is a valid reason to violate the law by government agencies, then it should be valid when done by private citizens.
Speeding to get to work or while working to generate more income is a perfect example.

davidmcbeth

Banned
On the form provided by DPS you sign an affidavit that is punishable by CGS Sec. 53a-157(b) ... its a crime to lie.

So, this is all they really need....they need your:
Name, Address, DOB, and maybe (just maybe) your SS# + the answers to all the questions directly regarding eligibility.

That's should be it. No fingerprints, no pictures, no DD214, no list of employers, no safety course

And this is not a license (as you cannot license a right) .. its voluntary ..

KIX

Ed, if there is anything I can do (pick up anything at DPS), let me know.

Jonathan