• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge rules for the 2A

markand

I'm intending to apply for a MD permit as soon as possible, but I don't see any training requirement in the application or noted in the MSP web site. Did I miss it?

Dreamer

I'm intending to apply for a MD permit as soon as possible, but I don't see any training requirement in the application or noted in the MSP web site. Did I miss it?

No, you did not miss it. The "Extremely strict and thorough" application process for obtaining a MD "unrestricted" carry permit has NO training clause. That is why the MD permit is so superior to all other states, accoring to the MSP, because training is just an inconvenience to "the RIGHT kinds of people" (meaning, the rich, well-connected, and politically correct).

In fact, there are NO sort of real "requirements" for a MD permit, except that you are "the right kind of person". Which in MD means you are well-connected, wealthy, or you are a frothing "anti" elected official like Babs Mikulski or Frank Conaway, who has spent their entire career voting AGAINST the carry rights of everyone else. Apparently, having a record of domestic violence doesn't even disqualify you from getting a permit in MD if you are someone as well-connected as Frank Conaway.

I think that we should FLOOD the MSP permitting office with applications in the next few weeks, before the MD AG's office has a change to forumlate their appeal and try to secure a "stay" on this ruling. Because, if we go by the letter of the law, this ruling means that ANY permit application submitted within the next 90 days (the required turnaround time for a permit app in MD) MUST be issued if the person is not otherwise prohibited, and the reason they want the permit is for "self defense". The wording of the judge was pretty clear. Perhaps attaching a copy of this ruling to the applications with the critical wording highlighted would be a good way to start.

Anyone who gets turned down in the next 90 days sould IMMEDIATELY file with the Appeals Board, and if turned down, they need to contact the judge who issued this ruling and DEMAND that the head of the Permitting Division and the members of the Appeals Board be PERSONALLY held in Contempt of Court. Then they should contact the media with their story.

It's time to play hard-ball, people. Let's show them how we feel--bury them in paperwork, and let them know in no uncertain terms how the People feel about this. Let them TRY to jerk us around now. We will NOT be denied our rights...

Last edited:

Dreamer

It's interesting that all states in the 4th Circuit except for Maryland have "shall issue".

It is also interesting that MD's violent crime rate is over 40% higher than the national average, and the City of Baltimore is more than 300% higher than the national average.

It is also interesting that VA, with nearly 140,000 active permits, has a violent crime rate that is nearly 40% BELOW the national average...

Sonora Rebel

As a Constitutional issue... Legg should just bitch-slap Gansler and order him to comply or be in contempt.

swinokur

Activist Member
Here is the agreement for expedited briefs on the State's request for clarification Plantiffs' brief due by tomorrow COB. Gura and company will no doubt make great arguments

Mr H

It is also interesting that MD's violent crime rate is over 40% higher than the national average, and the City of Baltimore is more than 300% higher than the national average.

It is also interesting that VA, with nearly 140,000 active permits, has a violent crime rate that is nearly 40% BELOW the national average...

Those statistics struck me as well.

As to your supposition... there already HAS been a flood of applications. It is recommended that everyone who believes themselves unlikely to be denied--AND can afford it without pain--put in application, citing "Self-defense, and all lawful purposes"

Dreamer

I especially like Gura's idea presented on p14:

If Maryland authorities truly wish to require all handgun carry permit holders to carry their handguns openly, Def. Br., 3/7/12, pp. 12-13, that option is not foreclosed by the Court’s opinion, and no stay need be obtained to effectuate that policy choice.

Now, wouldn't THAT be sweet? MD just bans CC altogether, and REQUIRES everyone with a permit who wants to carry to OC.

That one line alone must have caused dozens of heads to explode in Pikesville and Annapolis... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dreamer

Judge Legg issued a temporary stay of his order until May 23rd and MD has appealed to the 4th CA as of today.

attachments

What this means is that all those people who submitted applications the day after this ruling originally came out, can now have their apps summarily denied by MSP, because the Stay puts MDs issuance back to "business as usual" and doesn't force the MSP to abide by the Courts ruling until the judge issues his clarification.

Expect a whole lot of people to get denial letters in the next 6 weeks...

But the good news is that when the Appeals Court refuses to hear this case, and instructs MD to abide by the original ruling, everyone who got denied gets to take more time off work and file more paperwork to appeal their denial...

Business as usual in MD, this time with even more attitude. The AG and MSP have essentially taken a huge steaming dump on the Circuit Court, the US Constitution, and the People of Maryland. When are people going to start bringing these criminals in Annapolis and Pikesville up on Treason charges, and sending them to Gitmo for being the true domestic terrorists attacking the American way of life?

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
Here is the plaintiff's response brief to the defendant MD's brief. Defendant now has to May 23rd to submit response brief. Judge Legg will rule after the 23rd.

Last edited:

Dreamer

My wife is an RN, and used to be a psych nurse. I wonder if she could file a petition to have Gansler served with an "involuntary commitment" because he is obviously insane and incompetent, and presents a clear and present danger to the community, and needs to be put under observation by medical professionals.

At the very least, he should be disbarred for judicial incompetence and moral turpitude...

swinokur

Activist Member
Today MD's opening brief at the 4CA in Richmond. was submitted We are still awaiting District Court Judge Legg to rule on his stay. If he lifts, expect MD to ask CA4 for a stay.

It is large and I can't seem to upload it.

will try and upload it later

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
The stay was lifted by the District Court, not the the 4CA. MD still has an appeal pending and will most likely request the 4CA for another stay.

The chances of that look pretty bad for MD right now.

Last edited: