• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida sheriff.......great quote

09jisaac

I would say "overkill" would qualify as "excessive use of force" which is illegal. One is only supposed to use force to stop a threat and I'm pretty sure the threat would have stopped well before all those rounds were fired

Excessive use of force is when the threat has been stopped and you continue. As short of a period of time as it takes to sling a magazine of lead the "victim's" gun was probably still pointed towards the swat members. You know much about guns or human physiology? I can dump a mag in my AR in less than 10 sec, the swat can probably do it in 4 with automatic fire. Since there was probably more than one shooting, we'll say 4 as an estimate, then they would probably have around 120 rounds loaded (assuming also they had standard 30rd mags). Now to the physiology part. If I was point at you and you took my head CLEAN off, naturally I would be dead but my muscles would need time to relax to stop me from point at you. Then you would have to take into account the reaction time of the officers. With so many inputs at once, and given the amount of adrenaline, it would be difficult to decipher the important parts that are obscured by your sight. It is hard to take a pulse anywhere further away than arms length and while someone is still pointing a gun at you and not pronounced dead then they are still a threat. I sure hope you can learn something here, because this is very basic things that I am surprised you didn't already know.

Now we'll get to the "well before" part. I consider well before, at MINIMUM to be around 30 seconds for most things. If you are like me then you are saying that the threat was stopped by the mere show of force and before the firing started? I am not saying that it didn't, but you and I weren't there so we'll just have to take the surviving members word for it. Unless you have some data to support your claim?

My appologies, I didn't know you where there. If you where not there then who are you to say he wasn't still a threat at bullet number 67? He might have been high on drugs or something.

I don't think he was there. If he was then he probably would have had more basic knowledge of how a situation like that would be very difficult to try to use any type of thought process more than the basics. I say even 5 min after anything like this he probably wouldn't even be able to remember his name clearly. Let alone decide if the threat is stopped in the couple of seconds during the firing.