Thread: Carry on ride along?

Carry on ride along?

As far as I can tell, this would not be against the law. Can anyone else confirm?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    As far as I can tell, this would not be against the law. Can anyone else confirm?
    Are you talking about a ride along with LEO? If so, I couldn't imagine that it would be illegal. Unless of course, the LEO drove onto school property, that of course would be an issue.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mlutz View Post
    Are you talking about a ride along with LEO? If so, I couldn't imagine that it would be illegal. Unless of course, the LEO drove onto school property, that of course would be an issue.
    Yes and I would imagine that would be a problem if he drove onto school property.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Illegla, probably not. Will they let you carry, probably not.

Nothing illegal per se, but I would be shocked to hear that the ride along policy allowed it. Also, if you were required to enter the police station that would be an issue.

Many years ago I requested a ride along with the Madison PD. They never got back to me. So I mentioned to them that I was "on the list" for ride along for way too long and they said they'd look into it. Then they still never got back to me. So I gave up. This was all prior to becoming more "well known" in the community. At that time I would have just requested use of the Remington shotgun in the unlikely event things got ugly, but now only Madison SWAT uses shotguns, so it would be an AR-15.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

The last time I "rode along" I was in the back seat and my hands were behind my back.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    The last time I "rode along" I was in the back seat and my hands were behind my back.
    Haha! Thanks I just spit tea all over my phone. Thankfully it's no sweetened.

Back in 2006 I went on a ride along with the Wausau PD, and as far as I can remember all I had to do was sign a waiver. I did have to go into the police station and get a quick brief from the supervisor on duty about staying in the car, but thats it.