Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: CO Supreme Court rules against CU gun ban.

Campaign Veteran

BREAKING: CO Supreme Court rules against CU gun ban.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

denver (ap) - the colorado supreme court has sided with opponents of a campus gun ban at the university of colorado who claimed the ban is illegal because it was not approved by the legislature.

The court ruled monday that lawmakers intended to take away the authority of the board of regents to regulate concealed handgun possession on campus.

Opponents said lawmakers would have listed universities as exceptions in a law passed in 2003 if they wanted guns banned on campus.

The concealed carry act prohibits local governments from limiting concealed carry rights, with the only exceptions being k-12 schools, places where federal law bans it, public buildings with metal detectors and private property where owners object to concealed weapons.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...ampus-gun-ban-
    Last edited by luv_jeeps; 03-05-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Sometimes they do get it right.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Well, isn't that exceptional!

When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

Campaign Veteran
    So what happens now?
    Not being a legal beagle, at the end of the opinion, they mention that the case be "remanded with proceedings consistent with this opinion."

Does that mean that the case still has to go back to the Court of Appeals for more discussion?

scubabeme
    Of significance--it was unanimous!!! Also see: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20104814

Don't forget to vote in the poll on the right. The antis are leading right now!

Quote Originally Posted by scubabeme View Post
    ...Don't forget to vote in the poll on the right. The antis are leading right now!
    Not any more... but it's still closer than it Should be.

I am carrying starting tomorrow!

Banned
    I don't need any stinking lawyer telling me I can carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle8338 View Post
    There is going to be HUGE class discussion on this.

Student interviews about guns on campus.

I find it beyond comprehension how that one student points to Columbine and VT as examples of why guns should not be allowed on campus. That rule seemed to work so well for them, didn't it?

O2
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle8338 View Post
    Go for it !

Quote Originally Posted by luv_jeeps View Post
    So what happens now?
    Not being a legal beagle, at the end of the opinion, they mention that the case be "remanded with proceedings consistent with this opinion."

Does that mean that the case still has to go back to the Court of Appeals for more discussion?
    Goes back to the original jurisdiction to reverse the decision in line with CSC findings. Basically, a rubber stamp for the SC decision.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post

I find it beyond comprehension how that one student points to Columbine and VT as examples of why guns should not be allowed on campus. That rule seemed to work so well for them, didn't it?

O2
    Oh Gavin ... do some more dope ... think Ruby Ridge, Waco, Rodney King, Hurricane Katrina etc etc etc ..

And Sarang ... I really was not paying attention to your speech, I was focused more on your video ... forgive me .. nice

Gavin will be found dead with a dildo in his rectum ... that's a too-bad Then he'll change his mind "I'm FOR gun access .. I'm FOR gun access.."

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Not any more... but it's still closer than it Should be.
    In a victory for gun-rights advocates, the Colorado Supreme Court struck down the University of Colorado's campus gun ban on Monday, read a related article. Do you think permitted students should be allowed to carry concealed guns on college campuses in Colorado?

Total Votes = 3221
    Yes.
    1790 Votes, or 55.57 %

No.
    1376 Votes, or 42.71 %

I don't know.
    55 Votes, or 1.707 %

Read more: Colorado Supreme Court affirms that CU students with permits can carry concealed guns on campus - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz1oMOZa3GA
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

To bring this directly on topic, how could/would/should this decision affect OC on campus?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Quote Originally Posted by eBratt View Post
    To bring this directly on topic, how could/would/should this decision affect OC on campus?
    Lacking a local ordnance to the contrary and lots of signs banning open carry, it is allowed. Local ordinances need to be researched, but I seriously anything exists [at this moment] because of the total ban that has been in place until now.

The only way OC could be banned on the entire campus is if Boulder tries to go the "home rule" route of Denver. They could ban open carry in all buildings after spending a fortune for signs for every door for every building.

O2

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post

O2

Quote from a liberal on that video "I would rather use my own abilities to protect myself from a person with a gun than have somebody else with a gun protect me"

What abilities are these? Bringing your fists to a gun fight? Idiots! Good old Boulder....

I am proud of the Colorado Supreme Court - and proud to be a Coloradoan.

Now that this matter has been settled students and staff can get back to learning and teaching.

The hysterical calamities so direly forecast by the opposition will never occur, and within a week no one will even be thinking about "concealed carry on campus" - unless some lunatic is foolish enough to think he can repeat VA Tech in Colorado - where it ain't gonna happen.

Good for the Colorado State Supreme Court!

Apparently, they're now fully aware of the law. They should review their botched 50/50 ruling on Denver's "home rule" fiasco.

By the way, the poll was replaced with another one about some smoking ban. I guess the Libtard Denver Post couldn't stand the thought that more people are for our 2A rights than against them.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

scubabeme

It's a start

Well, as I've stated elsewhere--ya gotta start somewhere!

After the yesterday I had, all I'm going to say is don't try it at Auraria.
    Last edited by JamesB; 03-14-2012 at 11:05 AM.

It'll ease me a bit. I spend so much time in my errands around Boulder having to think through if I'll be traveling near or through campus.

Also not being a legal beagle, is it effective immediately?

From the article: The State Supreme Court decision remands the case back to a lower court and it may take several weeks before CU is forced to drop its ban.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Meanwhile, back at the University

Howdy Folks!
    My wife is having surgery right now at the University of Colorado Hospital.
    Here is a sign I spotted today, June 27, 2012.
    Did the U of C get the memo on the CSC decision, or are they somehow exempt?

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast