• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BREAKING: CO Supreme Court rules against CU gun ban.

mahkagari

To bring this directly on topic, how could/would/should this decision affect OC on campus?

It'll ease me a bit. I spend so much time in my errands around Boulder having to think through if I'll be traveling near or through campus.

Also not being a legal beagle, is it effective immediately?

eBratt

From the article: The State Supreme Court decision remands the case back to a lower court and it may take several weeks before CU is forced to drop its ban.

M-Taliesin

Meanwhile, back at the University

Howdy Folks!
My wife is having surgery right now at the University of Colorado Hospital.
Here is a sign I spotted today, June 27, 2012.
Did the U of C get the memo on the CSC decision, or are they somehow exempt?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

davidmcbeth

Banned
From the article: The State Supreme Court decision remands the case back to a lower court and it may take several weeks before CU is forced to drop its ban.

It should go back to the original judge who sided with the Board ... I'm sure he will not apologize for violating the law ... its sad the court did not rule on the constitutional issue ~ like many courts do, they ran away from ruling on that ...

lucky256

Howdy Folks!
My wife is having surgery right now at the University of Colorado Hospital.
Here is a sign I spotted today, June 27, 2012.
Did the U of C get the memo on the CSC decision, or are they somehow exempt?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I believe CU can still ban weapons from buildings *if* they follow the law, i.e., placing permanent metal detectors at all entrances. See C.R.S. 18-12-214 (4) a through c.

M-Taliesin

I believe CU can still ban weapons from buildings *if* they follow the law, i.e., placing permanent metal detectors at all entrances. See C.R.S. 18-12-214 (4) a through c.

Howdy Lucky!
Nope. No metal detectors. Just a sign in the parking lot, and another on the front door.
No metal detectors, no being checked with metal detector wands, nothing that might be appropriate.
Just the signs. Which, unless I am real badly mistaken, should have been removed by the CSC decision months ago.

So, I ended up asking the question again.

How, in view of a CSC decision, can they continue to uphold a policy that the highest court in the state has declared unconstitutional?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

OC for ME

Funny.....check your guns at the door. Is it legal to enter the cop station with a gun so that you can check your guns?

BTW, apparently on-campus does not mean on-campus.

since9

Campaign Veteran
You could:

A) Send a dated copy of the picture to the DA, asking for clarification on the law.

or

B) Walk in armed and when they arrest you or ask you to leave, sue them.