• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the news KHQ interview with Jeff Hayes

DEROS72

Jeff (Orphan )gave me a call today and said KHG tv came out and did an interview with him regarding the open carry at the Ron Paul rally.He told me the reporter was enlightend to find out what the real laws are.I.E. state pre emption.also that the convention center was in violation of afformentioned state pre emption.Another positive step for OC here.The fact they they came to talk with him to get the real story was a step in the right direction.Now we'll see how they edit ad air this report.Jeff's guess it will air on the 5 o clock news and then posted on their website so we can get the link.This his the same station that covered our spokane picnic summer of 2010
. So keep an eye out for Jeff tonight in the news.Good job Jeff in not letting this slide and getting out the story as opposed to what Nick refers to as serial misinformation.

Jeff and Thor80 at Ron Paul Rally , Spokane picnic, Jeff and Michelle Hayes at Spokane picnic

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Looking forward to the news cast. Here's to hoping the editors don't have ill intentions.

Last edited:

Knowledge

That's really awesome! Looking forward to seeing it. I had a pleasant conversation today with a fellow college student, she asked if I had done anything interesting over the weekend. I told her I did my first OC. Which led into an explanation and she was surprised, she thought it was illegal.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Hopefully the news report will be an informed one, unfortunately most pick apart an interview and leave out so much.
I guess we will have to wait and see.

Thor80

Awesome! Glad we will get some light shed on this! I'm at work till 630ish but I just set my DVr to record it! Thanks for the follow up on this orphan. Unfortunatelyly I have a job that puts me in the publics view often so I would have been hesitant going on camera.... That and I'm too ugly for tv. :)

-Thor

Jeff Hayes

It will air at either 5 or 6 to night. 20 minute interview will get condensed down to less than a minute. The reporter Chelsea Kopta was very professional and had well thought out questions. She also interviewed the city attorney so we will see what they have to say.

hadji

Hey guys,

They said on KHQ news that the building owner has the right to restrict OC. (not CC)
(According to Washington State law)
Is that right?

hadji

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Hey guys,

They said on KHQ news that the building owner has the right to restrict OC. (not CC)
Is that right?

hadji

That is not correct. They can only require that you have a CPL. Nothing in law says you have to conceal and nothing allows them by law to regulate open carry.

Last edited:

Thor80

No, the news and the CEO of SPFD hosed that all up, NO ONE on the news cited anything, they did mention SMC, but FAILED to mention that RCW 9.41.290 PREEMPTS the SMC. Spokane PUBLIC facilities district is a "Municipality". From their own website:
Spokane Public Facilities District was created in 1989 by the Washington State Legislature by virtue of RCW 36.100. The District is a municipal corporation. It is an independent taxing authority and a taxing district as defined in the state Constitution. The boundaries are coextensive with the boundaries of Spokane County.
They are therefore PREEMPTED by state law! Sorry I'm still fuming a little bit. The link for the newscast hasn't been posted yet. But needless to say they reported that Jeff and I were in the wrong.....

-Thor

Jeff Hayes

What part of

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

do they not understand???????????????????/

Last edited:

Thor80

Hey guys,

Is that right?

hadji

In this particular case the "building owner" is a public municipality so they do NOT have the right to restrict carry. If it was your house, or a private business then yes they have the right to restrict carry on their PRIVATE property. We didn't get that far but had the Ron Paul campaign asked me not to go into their area I would have obliged since they "rented" that area from the city, but as far as what the employees of Spokane Public Facilities District did they were in the wrong.

-Thor

Stretch

Love how the anchor sunk that p.o.s report at the end too. Good job on TRYING to represent what the law says, and how you were protected constitutionally.

Shame on KHQ reporting.

DEROS72

Well that just about set of my defibrillator. Jeff you did a great job but they just put out more serial misinformation.Dept. of licensing, REALLY??

FMCDH

What part of

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

do they not understand???????????????????/

Its not that they don't, or cant, understand preemption.

Its a matter of understanding all the small details of private property vs public property, open carry vs concealed carry, CPL required vs no CPL required, human right vs privilege, ownership vs management, among many other details. Then to put them into a coherent, accurate context about a subject that few people (even gun owners) actually spend any amount of time thinking about. All packed into less than 60 seconds.

Even many here struggle to accurately put all these concepts together correctly, and almost nobody gets it correct 100% of the time.

That said, its not an excuse, and its a dangerous game to report only a part of a subject to its convenience.

The thing that the media has forgotten, or largely ignores in the name of expediency, is the devil is in the details.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It can be tricking dealing with News Agency's as in this case. I know you talked likely for 20 minutes but the more one talks the more opportunity is offered to pick and choose how they will report it.
Be brief in dealing with the News, get your point out and leave opinions out of it so they have little to twist and turn and misrepresent as they did in this story.

Lets not forget the WA State Attorney Generals Opinion 2008 No. 8

Dear Senator Morton and Representative Van De Wege:

By letter previously acknowledged, you have asked the following paraphrased question:

Does a city in Washington have the authority to enact a local law that prohibits possession of firearms on city property or in city-owned facilities?

BRIEF ANSWER
The answer to your question is no. RCW 9.41.290 “fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation” and preempts a city’s authority to adopt firearms laws or regulations of application to the general public, unless specifically authorized by state law. Accordingly, RCW 9.41.290 preempts a city’s authority to enact local laws that prohibit possession of firearms on city property or in city-owned facilities.

FMCDH

We all know that the media will not be swayed by the law, and facts. But just try to violate the 1st amendment, and OMG!

+1

But mostly facts.

Facts take time, careful research and consideration to report properly. All these things get in the way deadlines.