• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the news KHQ interview with Jeff Hayes

Batousaii

... See ....

And this is largely what I was talking about in our other post guys. People in positions of power, using their tools (money, power, positions etc.) to control an environment, misleading propaganda etc, and sway the masses.

- So am I "Smarter than that" ? - or are we clear now why i don't trust these types?

I am sure people would love to think for them selves (the sheeple), but fact is, thats really hard for them to do when they are constantly lead to believe lies and deceit.

Bat :dude:

Last edited:

Knowledge

On a lighter note, because they messed that one all up. Reading the posts on this thread taught me a lot. I look forward to meeting and learning from you all.:)

amzbrady

Hey guys,

They said on KHQ news that the building owner has the right to restrict OC. (not CC)
(According to Washington State law)
Is that right?

hadji

No, the news and the CEO of SPFD hosed that all up, NO ONE on the news cited anything, they did mention SMC, but FAILED to mention that RCW 9.41.290 PREEMPTS the SMC. Spokane PUBLIC facilities district is a "Municipality". From their own website: They are therefore PREEMPTED by state law! Sorry I'm still fuming a little bit. The link for the newscast hasn't been posted yet. But needless to say they reported that Jeff and I were in the wrong.....

-Thor

What part of

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

do they not understand???????????????????/

Well that just about set of my defibrillator. Jeff you did a great job but they just put out more serial misinformation.Dept. of licensing, REALLY??

I smell an Open Carry banquet in one of the conference rooms....

Orphan, can you post a link to this reporters email so that we can all send an email correcting the misinformation and asking for the truth to be told. Or maybe one to the general manager?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I would suggest going straight to the City Council Meeting and proceed from there. It is clear you will not receive a warm welcome from the convention center.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I would suggest going straight to the City Council Meeting and proceed from there. It is clear you will not receive a warm welcome from the convention center.

This. Plus Chan et al v. Seattle

"It is an incontestable fact that the State of Washington has the exclusive right to
regulate the possession of firearms in Washington. RCW 9.41.290. It is equally incontestable
that cities in the State of Washington may not enact local laws or regulations that prohibit the
possession of firearms on city property. Id. The Defendants have ignored these clear legal
principles by issuing a city regulation that bans the possession of firearms on certain city
properties. Defendants have no right to simply ignore aspects of the law with which they
disagree."

JoeSparky

Centurion
It is quite difficult to give out the ACCURATE information on any story WHEN IT GOES AGAINST YOUR OWN PERSONALLY HELD BELIEFS.....and we have just be provided an example of this on this news STORY!

Jeff Hayes

There is a Spokane Public Facilities board meeting on the 13th of March at 12:30 I will be there. They give you 3 minutes. If I can get no satisfaction I will then lawyer up.

The most interesting thing about the written portion on KHQ is; Chelsea Kopta (the Reporter) called the DOL and got such bad information. On top of that I vaguely remember the DOL can not give legal advice. I will be tracking down Ms. Anthony in the morning along with her boss. I am going to demand a public in person apology from Ms. Anthony along with a public retraction of her statements.

Last edited:

Squeak

I sent her an email stating that it would be nice if she got the facts before going public. Journalism 101.:banghead:

TechnoWeenie

I sent her an email stating that it would be nice if she got the facts before going public. Journalism 101.:banghead:

Shouldn't we be trying to be diplomats instead of soldiers?

My motto in life is 'Diplomat first, soldier second'...

Give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know any better, and give them a chance to fix it....

Instead we're a pack of wolves attacking and saying 'fix it bitch!'.....

:mad:

deanf

Orphan, can you post a link to this reporters email so that we can all send an email correcting the misinformation and asking for the truth to be told.

[strikethrough]Her two email addresses are listed at the bottom of the on-line story. I have already asked for a correction.[/strikethrough]

disregard already covered.

Last edited:

PALO

as for tactics with these issues, imo it's best to usually start small, from the ground up. often, you get redress/change with less muss/fuss and it's also respectful to the powers that be in these case many of whom are simply ignorant and have no bad intent

one of my local parks used to have a sign listing prohibited items, which included firearms. i sent him a polite email, with a few legal references and encouraged him to check with the city attorney, etc, and not just take my word.

within a couple of DAYS, all the signs were changed and he sent me a thank you letter.

i think for every person overtly hostile to OC, several are simply ignorant. iow, making it a teaching moment before taking the hardline approach is almost always best.

if you come in like a lamb, you can always escalate, but if you come in like a lion, it's difficult to de-escalate

obviously, some circ's require instant lion mode (tm) e.g. when confronted by an armed robber, but you get my point

BobR

as for tactics with these issues, imo it's best to usually start small, from the ground up. often, you get redress/change with less muss/fuss and it's also respectful to the powers that be in these case many of whom are simply ignorant and have no bad intent

Palo, not to be disrespectful to you, but, many people in this thread have been involved with the OC movement for years, including Orphan.

The history in Spokane is fairly straight forward on the part of the city, they have been told several times, over and over again, about the laws and choose to ignore them. This is obvious by the interview with the facilities manager, which is common when people don't know and don't want to learn the law and apply it properly.

Perhaps playing nice worked for you over in Kent, but it has gotten to the point that playing nice in Spokane is a sure way to get ignored and have your rights continued to be violated.

bob

PALO

Palo, not to be disrespectful to you, but, many people in this thread have been involved with the OC movement for years, including Orphan.

The history in Spokane is fairly straight forward on the part of the city, they have been told several times, over and over again, about the laws and choose to ignore them. This is obvious by the interview with the facilities manager, which is common when people don't know and don't want to learn the law and apply it properly.

Perhaps playing nice worked for you over in Kent, but it has gotten to the point that playing nice in Spokane is a sure way to get ignored and have your rights continued to be violated.

bob

i'm not disagreeing. i was speaking generalities, NOT about the instant case, which sounds... horrific.