• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL class question

GlockIt

This place will let you.

http://www.ccwnow.com/faq/

I think most ranges that hold cpl classes will rent guns if you dont have one.

Most of them however, will not rent any to people under 21.

If you have one, good. If not, maybe somone you know who does
would let you use theirs. They would also have to be present for you
to do so.

Best bets to call and ask.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Legally you can do that. I plan on doing the same thing on May 23rd of 2013.

pacman552SD

I thought you had to take the class within a year.

My CPL instructor had guns for use if you didn't have one of your own.

this is what i have heard too, i was hopeing someone would have a little more info on if it is true there is a timelimit after you take the class to when you apply to get the cpl.

i have guns availible to me to use for carry and compleating the range time for the class

xmanhockey7

I was hoping someone could prove me right or wrong.

Finding the law stating how long the certification is good for is like finding a law stating that open carry is legal with a CPL.
28.425b
(j) A certificate stating that the applicant has completed the training course prescribed by this act.

28.425j Pistol training or safety program

You can read through 28.425j which talks about the training and nothing in it says the certificate is only good for so long. Also 28.425b says nothing about it either.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
About to finally get my wife to submit her application.
Her certificate is dated 2001.
She may have to explain some things to the clerk regarding the language on the certificate. From MCRGOs

Q:My county clerk won’t accept my NRA Personal Protection in the Home Course certificate because it was issued more than 1 year ago. Is she correct?
A:No, NRA certificates do not expire or go “stale.” The NRA alone decides how long their certificates are valid, not county gun boards. According to the law, it is NOT the responsibility of the county gun board to review or approve pistol safety training programs. The statute only states that the applicant must present a certificate signed by a certified firearms instructor with a statement that the course complies with the requirements of the law and that the individual successfully completed the course. If the validity of a certificate comes into question, the board may wish to confirm the firearm instructor’s certification with the organization that provided certification. In most cases, that is the NRA. It is a 4-year felony to issue a bogus certificate. That is intended to keep instructors honest.

There is similar situation where I have seen clerks attempt to reject certificates because they do not contain the language set forth in MCL §28.425j. Pursuant to 2004 PA 254, after October 1, 2004, the pistol safety training certificate must read “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.” Of course, if your certificate was issued before that date, it probably contains something similar but not exact. The ones I issued before October 1, 2004 state, “This course meets the requirements of 1927 PA 372 as amended by 2000 PA 381 5j and 2002 PA 719.” If you are in this situation you have two choices, 1) you can point out to the clerk that the new “magic” language of MCL §28.425j only applies to pistol safety training certificates issued after October 1, 2004, or 2) you can have the instructor that issued the certificate either add the “magic” language for you or give you permission to add it yourself.

Onnie

No you don't.

They have to be registered to you for you to posess them legally.

WRONG
750.234f Possession of firearm by person less than 18 years of age; exceptions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234f.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), an individual less than 18 years of age shall not possess a firearm in public except under the direct supervision of an individual 18 years of age or older.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an individual less than 18 years of age who possesses a firearm in accordance with part 401 (wildlife conservation) of the natural resources and environmental protection act, Act No. 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.40101 to 324.40119 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, or part 435 (hunting and fishing licensing) of Act No. 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.43501 to 324.43561 of the Michigan Compiled Laws. However, an individual less than 18 years of age may possess a firearm without a hunting license while at, or going to or from, a recognized target range or trap or skeet shooting ground if, while going to or from the range or ground, the firearm is enclosed and securely fastened in a case or locked in the trunk of a motor vehicle.

(3) An individual who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 80, Imd. Eff. Feb. 27, 1996

he can borrows someones and use it at the range.........the person who owns the gun would have to take it to the range, but once there, he can BORROW IT

Last edited:

Onnie

Then why do we tell people they have to be the registered owner to OC?

I shall research some more, i am strictly referring to shooting at as gun range target practice, i can let anyone that is a non cpl holder, shoot my gun regardless of age. I will see if i can find something "handgun" related. I recall seeing something that restricted HANDGUNS to ranges.

Onnie

thanks. its been a long time since I thought about this one.

324.43513 Carrying, transporting, or possessing firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow; hunting license not required; carrying or possessing unloaded weapon.
Sec. 43513. (1) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle. A person may carry, transport, or possess a slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting license if the slingshot, bow, or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.
(2) Regardless of whether the person has a license or it is open season for the taking of game, a person may carry, transport, possess or discharge a firearm, a bow and arrow, or a crossbow if all of the following apply:
(a) The person is not taking or attempting to take game but is engaged in 1 or more of the following activities:
(i) Target practice using an identifiable, artificially constructed target or targets.
(ii) Practice with silhouettes, plinking, skeet, or trap.
(iii) Sighting-in the firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow.
(b) The person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, either of the following: (i) The owner of the property on which the activity under subdivision (a) is taking place. (ii) The lessee of that property for a term of not less than 1 year.
(c) The owner or lessee of the property does not receive remuneration for the activity under subdivision (a).
(3) A person may carry or possess an unloaded weapon at any time if the person is traveling to or from or participating in a historical reenactment.

still looking.............

Onnie

thanks. its been a long time since I thought about this one.

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure;
forging application; implementation during business hours.

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:
(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.
(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.
(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a
pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.
(13) The licensing authority shall provide a basic pistol safety brochure to each applicant for a license
under this section before the applicant answers the basic pistol safety review questionnaire. A basic pistol safety brochure shall contain, but is not limited to providing, information on all of the following subjects:
(a) Rules for safe handling and use of pistols.
(b) Safe storage of pistols.
(c) Nomenclature and description of various types of pistols.
(d) The responsibilities of owning a pistol.
(14) The basic pistol safety brochure shall be supplied in addition to the safety pamphlet required by

imo and I played a Klingon once but never a lawyer on TV, he can carry it at a target range, not on the street
I am sure the other cite was for LONG GUNS

Last edited: