• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ar 15 collapsable stock

tjkruck

ok so sometimes i like to go open carry with my XD. mainly when i go to the range, now my question is, i just bought an ar15 with collapable stock some people say i could carry that and some people dont, so im just wondering what the rules are for that i looked at mn laws and i dont understand all the other crap they say..... if i dont have to bring the case with that is less weight id have to carry, so im asking for a strait up answer

Fallschirjmäger

Very few states regulate the carry of long arms except in the sense of hunting.
Pistols are sneaky and concealed ones especially so, which is why some states have pistol and concealed pistol permits.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

It seems like Minnesota has some pretty draconian long gun carry laws, unless you have a pistol carry permit (logic fail):

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.

Subdivision 1.Definitions.

For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.
(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter.
(b) "Carry" does not include:
(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;
(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;
(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;
(4) the carrying of an antique firearm as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value; or
(5) the transporting of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun in compliance with section 97B.045.
(c) "Public place" means property owned, leased, or controlled by a governmental unit and private property that is regularly and frequently open to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the property's current dedication to public use but does not include: a person's dwelling house or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields, or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms.

Subd. 2.Penalties.

Whoever carries a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person under the age of 21 who carries a semiautomatic military-style assault weapon, as defined in section 624.712, subdivision 7, on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a felony.

Subd. 3.Exceptions.

This section does not apply to officers, employees, or agents of law enforcement agencies or the armed forces of this state or the United States, or private detectives or protective agents, to the extent that these persons are authorized by law to carry firearms and are acting in the scope of their official duties.

i looked at mn laws and i dont understand all the other crap they say.....

Dude...not trying to be harsh, but seriously, bro?

Last edited:

tjkruck

Seriously what. I ain't carrying a bb gun and thats all its talking about, I don't really intend to carry my ar but it would be nice to know I could. And yes I have a permit to carry

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Seriously what. I ain't carrying a nn gun and thats all its talking about, I don't really intend to carry my ar but it would be nice to know I could. And yes I have a permit to carry

Sigh...the public "schools" are even worse than I thought...

I assume you meant to type BB gun. However, if you would make even the slightest attempt at reading comprehension, I am sure even you can figure out that

BB gun, rifle, or shotgun

refers to more than just BB guns, but also rifles and shotguns.

The statute clearly states that a rifle or shotgun carried in a public place must be unloaded and cased unless you have a permit, or fall within one of the other exemptions. If you do indeed have a permit, you are good to go to carry a loaded AR.

However, I really would encourage you not to carry at all until you take some remedial reading courses. I am legitimately afraid that you will run afoul of the laws due to lack of understanding, get arrested or hurt, or worst of all, make us look bad.

tjkruck

Here's an idea why don't you stop being a ****-*****. I asked a simple question, I know that you can carry shotguns and long guns, I thought it may be different due to the fact that its an assault rifle, so maybe this isn't a site for me if responses are going to be rude and people are going to be jerks and disrespect others, and I passed high school on the B honor roll. Get checked

--Moderator deleted personal attack-- Warning

ManInBlack

Here's an idea why don't you stop being a ****-*****. I asked a simple question, I know that you can carry shotguns and long guns, I thought it may be different due to the fact that its an assault rifle, so maybe this isn't a site for me if responses are going to be rude and people are going to be jerks and disrespect others, and I passed high school on the B honor roll. Get checked

Oh, I'm sorry for answering your question and explaining the law to you, when you were too lazy and/or inept to figure it out yourself. Next time, if you would bother to read the statutes, you wouldn't have to rely on criminal law advice from an internet forum.

P.S.: Your AR-15 is not an assault rifle except to bedwetting Bradyites and liberal state legislators. A true assault rifle is a selective-fire weapon, fed by a detachable magazine, firing an intermediate cartridge between full-power rifle and pistol calibers.

Last edited:

tjkruck

I'm not meaning any disrespect to you maninblack, I just figured the forum was here so I'd ask the question.. I am very educated, and have heard back and fourth on the rifle/shotgun topic, laws change all the time and quite frequently nowadays. I asked because I was at the local gun shop and they told me that due to the fact that it had a collapsable stock that it would be unlawful to carry, I showed him this in the mn carry fundamentals book I carry in my car and he still backed up his comment, I am here to get more Intel and prove him wrong, I guess I'm sorry for inconveniencing you

madrevar

I would be interested to know what gunshop spread such misinformation so I can go down there and set them straight. PM me if you would rather not make it public.

tjkruck

Element arms in Becker along hwy 10. Not far from you. He said I could not carry it loaded, he said in order to actually carry it loaded I would have to get the ar pistol, I do not recall his name tho,, I really don't intend to carry it but its nice to know I can if it ever came down to it. Crime is kinda getting bad here and the neighbors have me nervous the other day he was outside smoking and talking to his buddies and said he is going to get his piece and blast everyone and the county cops don't respond like they should

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
  • (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My bad sorry

It is a public image thing, that and courtesy
icon7.png