• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Oc'er from Va

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
HI All,
Ill be visiting the charlotte are this weekend. just wanted to know how the area was for Oc and carrying in general.I have a Va cc permit i can utilize if need be. just wanted to know if there have been any problems in that area. Any info would be well appreciated.

Dreamer

I have OCed in the Charlotte area with no issues whatsoever. I even went to several stores and restaurants while there, and didn't have any problems. One clerk at an auto parts store I went to (had a burned out fuse) commented on my Para, and asked if I was a cop. I gave him a NC Gun Rights flyer, and talked to him a little bit.

Be aware of some of the weird restrictions in NC though--it's a LOT different from VA. You can't carry at all (OC or CC) in ANY establishment that serves alcohol--which means pretty much ANY sit-down restaurant that isn't a "family" restaurant like Cracker Barrel. Luckily, most of the good BBQ joints don't serve alcohol, so you've got that going for you... ;-)

Also, you can't carry (OC or CC) anywhere that charges admission (mostly this means movie theaters).

And government buildings are pretty much off limits too. And schools, obviously.

You CAN, however carry in banks (OC or CC) as long as they are not posted.

Many malls are posted, but not very obviously. Just be careful to read the "Rules of conduct" signs if you can find them. Also, remember there is NO statutory definition of an "appropriate sign", so there are some places (mostly malls) that do NOT post "gun busters" signs, but DO have a line of tiny type buried in their "Rules of conduct" signage.

Welcome to NC for your visit, and feel free to CARRY ON--just pay attention, and watch for signs...