• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah not accepting NV CCW?

28kfps

I guess I have been asleep at the keyboard on this old news. At work, we were talking about Utah not accepting NVs CCWs. I understand a NV CCW is no longer accepted by Utah, is this correct? In addition, if I remember correctly Utah allowed open carried loaded mag and chambered as long as the person had a Utah recognized CCW. Without a Utah, recognized CCW and choosing to open carry in Utah the OCer is not allow to have one in the chamber. If the above it correct no more open carry with one in the chamber or CCWing in Utah if the NV person only has a NV CCW? Looking for any correct input on this.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
UT honors all resident and non-resident permits from any state...

Or did something happen VERY recently?
But without any permit, you are correct that OC must not have a round in firing position, unless you are in your vehicle. It can be loaded in a vehicle.

Last edited:

28kfps

UT honors all resident and non-resident permits from any state...

Or did something happen VERY recently?
But without any permit, you are correct that OC must not have a round in firing position, unless you are in your vehicle. It can be loaded in a vehicle.

I checked on line for reciprocity listings looked at so many do not remember one from the other however, it would appear Utah may no longer accept NVs CCW.

Sorry about the double posting.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I checked on line for reciprocity listings looked at so many do not remember one from the other however, it would appear Utah may no longer accept NVs CCW.

Sorry about the double posting.

Reciprocity is different from recognition....

Since Nevada and Utah have no formal agreement between them on this--- NO RECIPROCITY.

Utah by Statute recognizes ALL permits issued by any State or County!

28kfps

Reciprocity is different from recognition....

Since Nevada and Utah have no formal agreement between them on this--- NO RECIPROCITY.

Utah by Statute recognizes ALL permits issued by any State or County!

Great, that make since. Had a friend that went to the gun show last weekend said there were a few talking about no Reciprocity with Utah and NV. I guess then offering Utah CCW training. Can you post the Statute you are referring to?

varminter22

NRS Chapter 202.

It is true that Nevada has no reciprocity.

Nevada does have a system of recognzing other states' permits IF said state's permit law is substantially similar to Nevada's law.
NRS 202.3688 Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:
(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and
(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he or she resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.
3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.
and
NRS 202.3689 Department to prepare list of states that meet certain requirements concerning permits; Department to provide copy of list to law enforcement agencies in this State; Department to make list available to public. 1. On or before July 1 of each year, the Department shall:
(a) Examine the requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in each state and determine whether the requirements of each state are substantially similar to or more stringent than the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
(b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.
(c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b). A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list.
(d) Provide a copy of the list prepared pursuant to paragraph (c) to each law enforcement agency in this State.
2. The Department shall, upon request, make the list prepared pursuant to subsection 1 available to the public.

NRS 202.369 Regulations. The Department may adopt such regulations as are necessary to carry out the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Great, that make since. Had a friend that went to the gun show last weekend said there were a few talking about no Reciprocity with Utah and NV. I guess then offering Utah CCW training. Can you post the Statute you are referring to?

Sorry about the delay in responding. Can't do it from work.

Here is the link:http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_052300.htm

And the specific statute. Pay particular attention to (2) (a) and (b)

76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
(1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
(a) a United States marshal;
(b) a federal official required to carry a firearm;
(c) a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
(d) a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
(e) a judge as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
(f) a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
(g) a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
(i) unloaded; and
(ii) securely encased as defined in Section 76-10-501.
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county.

28kfps

Sorry about the delay in responding. Can't do it from work.

Here is the link:http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_052300.htm

And the specific statute. Pay particular attention to (2) (a) and (b)

76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
(1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
(a) a United States marshal;
(b) a federal official required to carry a firearm;
(c) a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
(d) a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
(e) a judge as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
(f) a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
(g) a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
(i) unloaded; and
(ii) securely encased as defined in Section 76-10-501.
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county.[/QUOTE

Know what you mean about work. If it were not for the need of a paycheck, I would not show up for work. Thanks for taking the time to post the info.

Rollbar

Hum, and I was going to get a UT permit when I got my CCW.

I will keep watch on it until then.

Thanks,
Jim

JoeSparky

Centurion
Hum, and I was going to get a UT permit when I got my CCW.

I will keep watch on it until then.

Thanks,
Jim

I still see at least one advantage to getting a Utah permit after your home states permit.... Utah allows you to carry in ANY PUBLIC SCHOOL with a permit and a Utah permit will eliminate the FEDERAL restrictions on Utah school zones!

varminter22

Straight from the Utah Department of Public Safety, http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html
In accordance with U.C.A. 76-10-523, Utah will honor a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by another state or county.
and it goes on to say:
Of the states below that have formalized reciprocity or recognition with Utah, there are some states that will only accept the Utah concealed firearm permit so long as the permit holder is a resident of Utah.

It is the responsibility of all Utah concealed firearm permit holders to know and understand the applicable firearm laws of the states within which they plan to visit or venture. For information regarding firearm laws of other states, please contact the respective authority within that state.
Although there are many states that will recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit, the State of Utah has formal reciprocity (written agreement) with the following states (Click on the name of the state for further information):

The following states recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit. (Click on the name of the state for further information):

The following states DO NOT recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit. (Click on the name of the state for further information):

wrightme

So, looks like Nevada does not recognize UT permits, there is no reciprocity agreement between UT and NV, but according to the previously cited statute, reciprocity and/or recognition isn't required to be stated, they 'recognize' that a person with a permit from another state has a permit.

So, UT does not deny NV CCW.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I still see at least one advantage to getting a Utah permit after your home states permit.... Utah allows you to carry in ANY PUBLIC SCHOOL with a permit and a Utah permit will eliminate the FEDERAL restrictions on Utah school zones!

Just to clarify, as I know you did not intend otherwise, a UT permit does not allow you to carry in schools outside of UT, unless that state also allows it.

In general, while a permit from another jurisdiction is often recognized in various places, you must obey the carry laws of the locality, not the issuing jurisdiction.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Just to clarify, as I know you did not intend otherwise, a UT permit does not allow you to carry in schools outside of UT, unless that state also allows it.

In general, while a permit from another jurisdiction is often recognized in various places, you must obey the carry laws of the locality, not the issuing jurisdiction.

Correct, a Utah permit allows you to carry in ANY UTAH public school/university/college and eliminates the UNCONSTITUTIONAL but reenacted Federal restriction of carry within 1000 ft of a UTAH k-12 school!