• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa Laws?

Just spent three hours trying to find information on my rights in Iowa. It was slim pickings. I want to open carry but do not know what to say or do should an officer "detain" me. With all the different laws for the different states what are my rights. I.E Do I have to show ID? Do the have the right to take my firearm from me. Do I have to identify myself if I am not in a vehicle?

Please only answer if you know the actual law and can cite it to me. I NEED TO KNOW IOWA LAW.

Thank you so much!!!!

matt2636

Just spent three hours trying to find information on my rights in Iowa. It was slim pickings. I want to open carry but do not know what to say or do should an officer "detain" me. With all the different laws for the different states what are my rights. I.E Do I have to show ID? Do the have the right to take my firearm from me. Do I have to identify myself if I am not in a vehicle?

Please only answer if you know the actual law and can cite it to me. I NEED TO KNOW IOWA LAW.

Thank you so much!!!!

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

i guess i would start there. i would post on the iowa fourm though. yes you have to show your permit because its illegal to carry in city limits without a permit. remember you have the right to remain silent.