• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun vaults in the car

J_Oliver

I have a lockbox by GunVault strapped to the seat support in my truck, as many people probably do. If my G19 is locked up and I'm in the vehicle, is it considered concealed whereas I can get in trouble for it? It is within reach, and locked. And I know the law makes no distinction between whether or not a container is locked. Normally if I'm outside my vehicle, my firearm is on me. Having a CHP I'm not concerned, but my wife is. What say the masses?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

ManInBlack

I have a lockbox by GunVault strapped to the seat support in my truck, as many people probably do. If my G19 is locked up and I'm in the vehicle, is it considered concealed whereas I can get in trouble for it? It is within reach, and locked. And I know the law makes no distinction between whether or not a container is locked. Normally if I'm outside my vehicle, my firearm is on me. Having a CHP I'm not concerned, but my wife is. What say the masses?

I say that when you are in the vehicle, the weapon should be out and available for use. If you're going need it, you're going to need it quickly, and getting into a locked container is just not time-efficient. Use the lockbox for its intended purpose: to store the weapon safely and securely when you (or your wife) are away from the vehicle.

J_Oliver

I say that when you are in the vehicle, the weapon should be out and available for use. If you're going need it, you're going to need it quickly, and getting into a locked container is just not time-efficient. Use the lockbox for its intended purpose: to store the weapon safely and securely when you (or your wife) are away from the vehicle.

Unfortunatly, my wife isn't as comfortable with firearms as I am so she prefers to ride with it put away. I put it in the passanger seat for the purpose of easy access. She hates putting it in the trunk to transport it, but hates for it to be visible while she's driving. She's getting more comfortable everyday, and she's taken all the retention/weapon safety classes. She's just as proficient as I am she just doesn't have the self-confidence or knowledge of the law to outwit a nitwit, nitpicking LEO. Little steps...

Dreamer

If you have a CHP, then you can have your handgun ANYWHERE in your vehicle, loaded or unloaded, locked up or not, and NOT be in violation of any law.

The difficulty comes when you have someone ELSE in your car with you, if that person doesn't have a CHP, and you are not in direct possession (have it in a holster on your person), and it is loaded and/or readily accessible.

So if your wife does NOT have a CHP, and is in the car with you, the gun needs to be either:

1) on your hip, or
2) uloaded, locked up, and inaccessible

If the gun is loaded and readily accessible to someone else in the car, but is not clearly visible (like in a vault under the seat) a good argument can be made for "constructive possession of a concealed weapon" by that other person.

Either have your wife get her CHP, or keep your handgun where it belongs when you are in your car--ON YOUR HIP.

IANAL so my opinion is worth exactly as much as you paid for it, but that's how I'm reading the law, and that is how I practice it with my family...

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Unfortunatly, my wife isn't as comfortable with firearms as I am so she prefers to ride with it put away. I put it in the passanger seat for the purpose of easy access. She hates putting it in the trunk to transport it, but hates for it to be visible while she's driving. She's getting more comfortable everyday, and she's taken all the retention/weapon safety classes. She's just as proficient as I am she just doesn't have the self-confidence or knowledge of the law to outwit a nitwit, nitpicking LEO. Little steps...

If an armed carjacker approaches her window, the weapon may as well be in the trunk...just my $0.02.

This reminds me of a girl I dated [briefly], who, when I asked if she had anything to protect herself with, showed me a giant can of mace wedged tightly underneath her driver's seat. I asked if she really thought she'd be able to deploy it if she needed it in a hurry. Her response? "Maybe not, but it makes me feel better just having it!"

Different strokes for different folks, I reckon.

J_Oliver

She's taking baby steps at getting comfortable with having a firearm in her posession. I have all the faith in the world that should a situation arise that she will handle it appropriately and efficiently. Dreamer, I always appreciate your valued input. My gun stays within arms reach of me at all times. She is going to get her CHP, to avoid an issue, she just wants to adjust to carrying on her person first. She's only been OC'ing with me a handful of times. Just getting used to getting strange looks and learning not to care. she has a lot to learn yet.

aosailor

You guys are all getting too technical and are over thinking the solution.... Just get a new wife! :D

Last edited:

NC-Heel

No difference than it being in a locked glove compartment where you are allowed to have it. Needs to be locked though.

chiefjason

If it's accessible, and she's meaning to access it if needed, I think that's going to be your problem. If the key is on the keyring in the ignition, it's not easily accessible anymore it may be less of an issue. FWIW, if I get pulled over and my firearm is locked up I don't declare I'm armed. YMMV.

How about a happy medium. Find a place in the vehicle it's not easy to see, then transfer it to the seat if she needs to deal with LE. I used to keep mine jammed between the seats and just toss it on the passenger seat if I needed to. Once she gets the CHP it's a lot less to worry about.

J_Oliver

If it's accessible, and she's meaning to access it if needed, I think that's going to be your problem. If the key is on the keyring in the ignition, it's not easily accessible anymore it may be less of an issue. FWIW, if I get pulled over and my firearm is locked up I don't declare I'm armed. YMMV.

How about a happy medium. Find a place in the vehicle it's not easy to see, then transfer it to the seat if she needs to deal with LE. I used to keep mine jammed between the seats and just toss it on the passenger seat if I needed to. Once she gets the CHP it's a lot less to worry about.

I think that's the best choice for her for now. Thank you all for your advice. Keep up the OC fight!

silverflash

so new to handguns here. I do not have a concealed permit- I don't think i need one for my purposes. OC works for me.

I do need to transport my firearms to my mountain property in ashe county from time to time. That is a 3 hour drive. To get there I drive my suv that does not have a trunk. I have read the State Highway Patrol page that states keeping the firearm in a LOCKED glove box or center console is LEGAL. Loaded or unloaded makes no difference.

I plan on keeping the firearm either a) on my hip or b) in it's case in the cargo area of the vehicle. The cargo area is accessible by the rear seat passengers- my kids- if they really wanted to get there by undoing their seat belts and wriggling back to there. It would be quite hard to do that without me seeing. They are older at 14 and 12. I have no issues padlocking the case if that's a better way to avoid a concealed weapons charge.

I see no difference between a LOCKED glovebox and a LOCKED gun case except in my case the LOCKED gun case is well out of reach of all occupants normally.

thoughts????

WalkingWolf

You guys are all getting too technical and are over thinking the solution.... Just get a new wife! :D

I hate to say that crossed my mind also~~or maybe tell her you are uncomfortable with her riding in the car with a top on, and you would be more comfortable with her topless. If she says she does not want to ride around naked, then say "well duhhhhh".