Thread: What is off limits?

What is off limits?

I will be in NM this weekend and am trying to get more information regarding where OC is/ is not allowed. All information is appreciated. Thanks!

Look at this link it has all the info you will need

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Quote Originally Posted by RogueAussie View Post
    Look at this link it has all the info you will need

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

Thanks!

Off Limits in NM

Places off limits to both open and concealed carry are the following

Eateries serving alcohol
    Government buildings
    liquor stores
    bars
    schools

The irony is that these are the places a responsible armed citizen is MOST LIKELY to need a gun! I have been acosted twice at gas station/mini marts. As most alert people know these places are megnets for dregs and criminals so be alert and aware of your surrounding when patronizing them.

What does: National Forests YES (concealed only) mean?
    Last edited by elebuttfish; 03-17-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr .454 View Post
    Places off limits to both open and concealed carry are the following

Eateries serving alcohol
    Government buildings
    liquor stores
    bars
    schools

The irony is that these are the places a responsible armed citizen is MOST LIKELY to need a gun! I have been acosted twice at gas station/mini marts. As most alert people know these places are megnets for dregs and criminals so be alert and aware of your surrounding when patronizing them.
    Where did you find this? It is absolutely wrong on several counts. In the future, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting bad information that is easy to verify.

The only ones off-limits on that list are bars and schools. Otherwise, state and local government buildings are not off-limits, whereas any federal building is.

The alcohol establishment laws changed a while back. Read up on that to get up to date.

What do gas-stations and mini-marts have to do with your list? Even if you can't go inside if you're not licensed (if they sell alcohol), that does not mean the parking lots or areas outside the buildings themselves are off-limits; they're not.

If you're going to carry weapons, best to be much more familiar with how things work. You're obviously ill-informed and that's not good.

Go to the link shown in the posts above in this thread to find accurate information.
    Last edited by AH.74; 03-18-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elebuttfish View Post
    It means CC only in those areas, not open carry. So you must be licensed to CC in those areas.

So, if you hunt with a handgun and and you are not on private property or maybe even BLM land you must have a CC permit. then where is OPEN CARRY allowed? thanks Jerry

So, if you hunt with a handgun and and you are not on private property or maybe even BLM land you must have a CC permit. then where is OPEN CARRY allowed? thanks Jerry
    You got me, Jerry. I'm not a hunter so it's not an area I'm familiar with. I've thought about getting into it but also have access to a good amount of private property if I ever do.

I know in some states you can carry a handgun while hunting under some circumstances. I am not sure if that's the case here, maybe Steve or someone else will pop in to clarify for us. It would be worth a call to Game & Fish to hear what they have to say.

It is a lot more challenging than most people think, if you limit youreself to 25 yd shots it makes you a more skilled hunter and stalker than someone with a rifle shooting long distances and hoping to hit something. In an earlier post Tim was relating a comment about a hunter that was checked by a Game Warden and the warden told him if he did not have a CC permit he would be cited. I am still trying to figure out how all this stuff got out of hand. Years ago I would share a motel room in Chama during Elk season with guys from G&F and no one back then would ask me for my CC permit. Man I yearn for the "good ole days". The more I think about it OPEN CARRY in NM is a myth, sort of like the "UNICORN". thanks Jerry

National forests follow state law and there is nothing in NM state law prohibiting open carry in national forests. I don't know where handgunlaws.us got their information but it is incorrect in this case.

Open carry is NOT prohibited in National Forests in the state of NM.

Cool!!

Thanks for the clarification, Castiel. I had a nagging feeling that something didn't seem right.

Which are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by AH.74 View Post
    Where did you find this? It is absolutely wrong on several counts. In the future, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting bad information that is easy to verify.

The only ones off-limits on that list are bars and schools. Otherwise, state and local government buildings are not off-limits, whereas any federal building is.

The alcohol establishment laws changed a while back. Read up on that to get up to date.

What do gas-stations and mini-marts have to do with your list? Even if you can't go inside if you're not licensed (if they sell alcohol), that does not mean the parking lots or areas outside the buildings themselves are off-limits; they're not.

If you're going to carry weapons, best to be much more familiar with how things work. You're obviously ill-informed and that's not good.

Go to the link shown in the posts above in this thread to find accurate information.

Your reply is very unclear. Are you talking about open or concealed or both...break it down so it makes sense please. My list deals with both

Your reply is very unclear. Are you talking about open or concealed or both...break it down so it makes sense please. My list deals with both
    Your list is still wrong. I wouldn't waste your time otherwise, really.

I don't think my reply was unclear. But for your sake-

Off-limits means for both OC and CC.

You cannot open carry in any place serving or selling alcohol. You CAN CC in beer and wine restaurants (which do not serve liquor) and places such as gas stations, mini-marts, grocery stores and liquor stores that sell for off-site consumption. Bars are off-limits, period.

You can OC or CC in any government building other than a federal one- federal is off-limits. State and local buildings are not off-limits. In fact, in one of the threads below there are details about a state legislator who recently got herself into a tizzy over someone OC'ing into the roundhouse where he was perfectly legal to do so.

Schools are off-limits although you may have weapons in your car in school parking lots.

Again- go to the handgunlaw site linked above. The current regulation summaries are all there. Also go to the NM DPS website for links to the latest alcohol regulations, and for links to the other regulations in their entirety.
    Last edited by AH.74; 03-18-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Opt-Out Members
    It means Gary made an error. We'll look into it. Thanks

Steve Aikens

EDIT: This has been corrected. Note that you can reach us easily at admins@handgunlaw.us if you see something you question. Obviously, we would much rather field a question/complaint with an email than we could see it on a public forum. As you see here, we respond as soon as someone finds something. Had you just emailed us - or even me at steve@nmpcs.com - this would have been fixed much faster.

Thanks.

Steve Aikens
    Last edited by steveaikens; 03-19-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Note correction on www.handgunlaw.us

Opt-Out Members
    You can OC or CC in any government building other than a federal one- federal is off-limits. State and local buildings are not off-limits. In fact, in one of the threads below there are details about a state legislator who recently got herself into a tizzy over someone OC'ing into the roundhouse where he was perfectly legal to do so.
    Just for a little more clarification on the situation in The Roundhouse in case someone doesn't locate the other thread. This was a case of poor judgment and poor timing. The timing coincided with a couple protester incidents in The Roundhouse and at a closed event elsewhere. In both protestor incidents, legislators were injured. The legislator in question was a committee chairwoman. She was at both locations where the protesters hurt someone. It was after those incidents that she was in committee when someone open carrying came in. She asked the person leave the room or conceal if he was licensed to do so. The poor judgment was, he refused and had to be removed - from the room. As the committee chair, she is in effect the manager of the room and if she can justify why she would ask someone to disarm, conceal or leave the room, she would have that authority to ask that person to leave the room, but not The Roundhouse. The individual in question was removed from the room, not The Roundhouse. Her justification was one of her committee members was one of those injured shortly prior to the committee hearing starting and he commented [paraphrasing here] - looks like they're sending hired guns after me now - as a joke, and she took it to an extreme.

She is an anti-firearms person at best and simply over-reacted. The person carrying blew it because he presumed he could carry openly in The Roundhouse - which he can. He didn't understand that he could be asked to leave a hearing room by the committee chair if it was justified.

That said, in my opinion, she was wrong to ask him to leave the room. However, he was wrong to not just step out - then try to correct the issue in a non-confrontational and adult way. Making a scene and not leaving first to ask questions was wrong - carrying in The Roundhouse is not - openly or concealed.

Lastly, the Senator is not running for re-election.

Steve Aikens

Thank you Steve.

Opt-Out Members
    You're quite welcome. Thanks for catching the error.

Steve Aikens

I did not know it was an error, it seemed more like a " huh, what ". thanks Jerry --- oh by the way. Back in the mid 80's I had business at Cannon, I can not for the life of me figure out why you have an Air Force base there. It is so damned flat out there you can see the enemy comming for at least 50 miles .

Opt-Out Members

Red face

I can not for the life of me figure out why you have an Air Force base there. It is so damned flat out there you can see the enemy comming for at least 50 miles .
    I'd tell you - but then I'd have to kill you.....

Steve Aikens

Thanks Mucho

Your list is still wrong. I wouldn't waste your time otherwise, really.

I don't think my reply was unclear. But for your sake-

Off-limits means for both OC and CC.

You cannot open carry in any place serving or selling alcohol. You CAN CC in beer and wine restaurants (which do not serve liquor) and places such as gas stations, mini-marts, grocery stores and liquor stores that sell for off-site consumption. Bars are off-limits, period.

Schools are off-limits although you may have weapons in your car in school parking lots.

Again- go to the handgunlaw site linked above. The current regulation summaries are all there. Also go to the NM DPS website for links to the latest alcohol regulations, and for links to the other regulations in their entirety.
    I never meant to spread bad info. This is info I had interpreted from the statutes and other people obviously wrongly. Anyhow I yeild to your knowledge and will make sure I review the laws again. Lets be friends. Im a former Marine so you can trust me out there carrying along side you. If you would be so kind to let me know, because I'm new to open carry in NM the following:
    Do you open carry every day?, how long have been openly carrying? how do folks on the street react when you openly carry? would you be open to the organization of a gathering for 2012?

I never meant to spread bad info. This is info I had interpreted from the statutes and other people obviously wrongly. Anyhow I yeild to your knowledge and will make sure I review the laws again. Lets be friends. Im a former Marine so you can trust me out there carrying along side you. If you would be so kind to let me know, because I'm new to open carry in NM the following:
    Do you open carry every day?, how long have been openly carrying? how do folks on the street react when you openly carry? would you be open to the organization of a gathering for 2012?
    I would very much enjoy being friends, that's nice of you to say. Let's just say I have a strong feeling about people being familiar with law, no offense ever intended. I apologize if I came across too strong.

I myself do not normally open carry on a regular basis. I also live in Santa Fe so there are a lot of people around here who aren't so used to it and I would rather avoid any problems whatsoever. On the rare occasion when I have open carried here, no one has ever paid me any attention but those occasions are very brief, such as running into a store from my truck.

I do sometimes open carry if I am in more rural areas outside of the city. It is a lot different out there.

I would absolutely be open to attending any gathering. I wanted to join the one around Christmas last year but couldn't get away. I look forward to meeting you if the opportunity arises.

Stay safe out there and thanks for your past service.

Great!

I would very much enjoy being friends, that's nice of you to say. Let's just say I have a strong feeling about people being familiar with law, no offense ever intended. I apologize if I came across too strong.

I myself do not normally open carry on a regular basis. I also live in Santa Fe so there are a lot of people around here who aren't so used to it and I would rather avoid any problems whatsoever. On the rare occasion when I have open carried here, no one has ever paid me any attention but those occasions are very brief, such as running into a store from my truck.

I do sometimes open carry if I am in more rural areas outside of the city. It is a lot different out there.

I would absolutely be open to attending any gathering. I wanted to join the one around Christmas last year but couldn't get away. I look forward to meeting you if the opportunity arises.

Stay safe out there and thanks for your past service.
    Thanks..you be safe also. Lets keep an eye out for news on any upcoming events and perhaps we will meet.

Going back to the OC/CC issue in National Forest and the hunting confusion. My understanding is that there is no restriction in National FORESTS where hunting is allowed, except fenced off campgrounds, however there is a restriction of CC only in National PARKS where there are multiple visitors, hikers, etc, people that are not there to hunt but, to enjoy the outdoors or attractions. These should all be posted.