• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is off limits?

bones

I will be in NM this weekend and am trying to get more information regarding where OC is/ is not allowed. All information is appreciated. Thanks!

Mr .454

Off Limits in NM

Places off limits to both open and concealed carry are the following

Eateries serving alcohol
Government buildings
liquor stores
bars
schools

The irony is that these are the places a responsible armed citizen is MOST LIKELY to need a gun! I have been acosted twice at gas station/mini marts. As most alert people know these places are megnets for dregs and criminals so be alert and aware of your surrounding when patronizing them.

AH.74

Places off limits to both open and concealed carry are the following

Eateries serving alcohol
Government buildings
liquor stores
bars
schools

The irony is that these are the places a responsible armed citizen is MOST LIKELY to need a gun! I have been acosted twice at gas station/mini marts. As most alert people know these places are megnets for dregs and criminals so be alert and aware of your surrounding when patronizing them.

Where did you find this? It is absolutely wrong on several counts. In the future, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting bad information that is easy to verify.

The only ones off-limits on that list are bars and schools. Otherwise, state and local government buildings are not off-limits, whereas any federal building is.

The alcohol establishment laws changed a while back. Read up on that to get up to date.

What do gas-stations and mini-marts have to do with your list? Even if you can't go inside if you're not licensed (if they sell alcohol), that does not mean the parking lots or areas outside the buildings themselves are off-limits; they're not.

If you're going to carry weapons, best to be much more familiar with how things work. You're obviously ill-informed and that's not good.

Go to the link shown in the posts above in this thread to find accurate information.

Last edited:

AH.74

So, if you hunt with a handgun and and you are not on private property or maybe even BLM land you must have a CC permit. then where is OPEN CARRY allowed? thanks Jerry

You got me, Jerry. I'm not a hunter so it's not an area I'm familiar with. I've thought about getting into it but also have access to a good amount of private property if I ever do.

I know in some states you can carry a handgun while hunting under some circumstances. I am not sure if that's the case here, maybe Steve or someone else will pop in to clarify for us. It would be worth a call to Game & Fish to hear what they have to say.

elebuttfish

It is a lot more challenging than most people think, if you limit youreself to 25 yd shots it makes you a more skilled hunter and stalker than someone with a rifle shooting long distances and hoping to hit something. In an earlier post Tim was relating a comment about a hunter that was checked by a Game Warden and the warden told him if he did not have a CC permit he would be cited. I am still trying to figure out how all this stuff got out of hand. Years ago I would share a motel room in Chama during Elk season with guys from G&F and no one back then would ask me for my CC permit. Man I yearn for the "good ole days". The more I think about it OPEN CARRY in NM is a myth, sort of like the "UNICORN". thanks Jerry

castiel

What does: National Forests YES (concealed only) mean?

National forests follow state law and there is nothing in NM state law prohibiting open carry in national forests. I don't know where handgunlaws.us got their information but it is incorrect in this case.

Open carry is NOT prohibited in National Forests in the state of NM.

AH.74

Thanks for the clarification, Castiel. I had a nagging feeling that something didn't seem right.

Mr .454

Which are you talking about?

Where did you find this? It is absolutely wrong on several counts. In the future, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting bad information that is easy to verify.

The only ones off-limits on that list are bars and schools. Otherwise, state and local government buildings are not off-limits, whereas any federal building is.

The alcohol establishment laws changed a while back. Read up on that to get up to date.

What do gas-stations and mini-marts have to do with your list? Even if you can't go inside if you're not licensed (if they sell alcohol), that does not mean the parking lots or areas outside the buildings themselves are off-limits; they're not.

If you're going to carry weapons, best to be much more familiar with how things work. You're obviously ill-informed and that's not good.

Go to the link shown in the posts above in this thread to find accurate information.

Your reply is very unclear. Are you talking about open or concealed or both...break it down so it makes sense please. My list deals with both

AH.74

Your reply is very unclear. Are you talking about open or concealed or both...break it down so it makes sense please. My list deals with both

Your list is still wrong. I wouldn't waste your time otherwise, really.

I don't think my reply was unclear. But for your sake-

Off-limits means for both OC and CC.

You cannot open carry in any place serving or selling alcohol. You CAN CC in beer and wine restaurants (which do not serve liquor) and places such as gas stations, mini-marts, grocery stores and liquor stores that sell for off-site consumption. Bars are off-limits, period.

You can OC or CC in any government building other than a federal one- federal is off-limits. State and local buildings are not off-limits. In fact, in one of the threads below there are details about a state legislator who recently got herself into a tizzy over someone OC'ing into the roundhouse where he was perfectly legal to do so.

Schools are off-limits although you may have weapons in your car in school parking lots.

Again- go to the handgunlaw site linked above. The current regulation summaries are all there. Also go to the NM DPS website for links to the latest alcohol regulations, and for links to the other regulations in their entirety.

Last edited:

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
What does: National Forests YES (concealed only) mean?
It means Gary made an error. We'll look into it. Thanks

Steve Aikens

EDIT: This has been corrected. Note that you can reach us easily at admins@handgunlaw.us if you see something you question. Obviously, we would much rather field a question/complaint with an email than we could see it on a public forum. As you see here, we respond as soon as someone finds something. Had you just emailed us - or even me at steve@nmpcs.com - this would have been fixed much faster.

Thanks.

Steve Aikens

Last edited:

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
You can OC or CC in any government building other than a federal one- federal is off-limits. State and local buildings are not off-limits. In fact, in one of the threads below there are details about a state legislator who recently got herself into a tizzy over someone OC'ing into the roundhouse where he was perfectly legal to do so.
Just for a little more clarification on the situation in The Roundhouse in case someone doesn't locate the other thread. This was a case of poor judgment and poor timing. The timing coincided with a couple protester incidents in The Roundhouse and at a closed event elsewhere. In both protestor incidents, legislators were injured. The legislator in question was a committee chairwoman. She was at both locations where the protesters hurt someone. It was after those incidents that she was in committee when someone open carrying came in. She asked the person leave the room or conceal if he was licensed to do so. The poor judgment was, he refused and had to be removed - from the room. As the committee chair, she is in effect the manager of the room and if she can justify why she would ask someone to disarm, conceal or leave the room, she would have that authority to ask that person to leave the room, but not The Roundhouse. The individual in question was removed from the room, not The Roundhouse. Her justification was one of her committee members was one of those injured shortly prior to the committee hearing starting and he commented [paraphrasing here] - looks like they're sending hired guns after me now - as a joke, and she took it to an extreme.

She is an anti-firearms person at best and simply over-reacted. The person carrying blew it because he presumed he could carry openly in The Roundhouse - which he can. He didn't understand that he could be asked to leave a hearing room by the committee chair if it was justified.

That said, in my opinion, she was wrong to ask him to leave the room. However, he was wrong to not just step out - then try to correct the issue in a non-confrontational and adult way. Making a scene and not leaving first to ask questions was wrong - carrying in The Roundhouse is not - openly or concealed.

Lastly, the Senator is not running for re-election.

Steve Aikens

elebuttfish

I did not know it was an error, it seemed more like a " huh, what ". thanks Jerry --- oh by the way. Back in the mid 80's I had business at Cannon, I can not for the life of me figure out why you have an Air Force base there. It is so damned flat out there you can see the enemy comming for at least 50 miles .