• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ASSAULT/AGG/DWEAP but DISCHARGED CERTIFICATE ISSUED. Can I buy a firearm after this??

RTTech

Hello forum,

I live in Miami, FL. Back in July of 2006, I was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, however the disposition was(no action) and a discharged certificate was issued. I was never prosecuted, never did time or faced any charges whatsoever for this incident. I've been able to obtain jobs with no problems after background checks and I'm even currently working for the Federal Government(which usually does a rigorous and thorough check)..
Now, almost 5 years later; I'd like to purchase a firearm(shotgun). I'm not sure what could happen in regards to the law. I've been told I should not have any problems at the local gun shows; nevertheless, I'd like to take the proper steps prior to buying the gun so I ask:

1) Can this incident in my record prevent me from buying a firearm or can I be denied the right to buy a firearm?
2) And more importantly, can such record be sealed and/or expunged?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Unless there's a lawyer here that wants to hand out a freebie, you're not asking the right people. However, if the application asks if you have ever been CONVICTED, you can honestly say no. With that you should be good to go.

Remember, I too an not a lawyer. I don't even live in your state.

rvrctyrngr

Please clarify. Case was dismissed/charges dropped? No plea agreement/probation/pre-trial intervention/adjudication withheld?

An arrest is not grounds to deny you the purchase of a firearm.

RTTech

Please clarify. Case was dismissed/charges dropped? No plea agreement/probation/pre-trial intervention/adjudication withheld?

An arrest is not grounds to deny you the purchase of a firearm.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it..
A little more info about the case: I pleaded NOT GUILTY and I was represented by an atty, however I am not able to get in touch with him anymore.. I'm not really sure if the case was dismissed/dropped, instead this is what the public record reads:

Disposition: NO ACTION
Final Dockets: DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED

Is this what dismissed/dropped mean??

As I've said, I've been able to obtain jobs without problems after a background check and I've always noted (NO) when asked if ever been convicted of a crime. Just not sure where I'd stand with the law in regards to purchasing a firearm and if they'd be more strict and deny my right to buy one because of this record.

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it..
A little more info about the case: I pleaded NOT GUILTY and I was represented by an atty, however I am not able to get in touch with him anymore.. I'm not really sure if the case was dismissed/dropped, instead this is what the public record reads:

Disposition: NO ACTION
Final Dockets: DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED

Is this what dismissed/dropped mean??

As I've said, I've been able to obtain jobs without problems after a background check and I've always noted (NO) when asked if ever been convicted of a crime. Just not sure where I'd stand with the law in regards to purchasing a firearm and if they'd be more strict and deny my right to buy one because of this record.

I can't see where you would have any problems at all.

It takes a felony conviction or misdemeanor conviction for DV to deny you the right to purchase a firearm (couple of other things, too, but they don't seem to apply here).

Go buy your shotgun, get your concealed weapons/firearms license, but don't lose that certificate!!!!

RTTech

It takes a felony conviction or misdemeanor conviction for DV to deny you the right to purchase a firearm (couple of other things, too, but they don't seem to apply here).

Go buy your shotgun, get your concealed weapons/firearms license, but don't lose that certificate!!!!

He he.. Thanks again for the help.

I'll keep you guys posted of the outcome on this once I buy the gun and I apply for everything..

PS: Such certificate of discharge that was issued was never given to me personally. I guess the court must have kept it in their records.

rvrctyrngr

He he.. Thanks again for the help.

I'll keep you guys posted of the outcome on this once I buy the gun and I apply for everything..

PS: Such certificate of discharge that was issued was never given to me personally. I guess the court must have kept it in their records.

Contact the Clerk of Court and get a certified copy or two or three...I guarantee you will need it some day...especially if you apply for a CWFL.

RTTech

Contact the Clerk of Court and get a certified copy or two or three...I guarantee you will need it some day...especially if you apply for a CWFL.

Aha! Good to know that. I certainly haven't needed it until now.. The court is very close to my house, I will try and see if I can get the record expunged as well. Thanks!

bc.cruiser

To continue with what rvrctyrnger said: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the paperwork, make copies, and keep a file. With backup. Keep a report of who/when/how/why you talk to anyone about personal legal stuff. As he said, eventually you will need it.
Added: Get a copy of the background check or at least a notice of approval from any employer that does one.

mavidal

Back in Andrew, I was arrested for aggravated assault. Went to court and prosecutor dropped charges. Disposition shows no action. I had no issues getting my CWP with the exception that I had to prove I was an American Citizen, so I had to fax them the naturalization certificate with my picture (I was 18 at the time, 56 now) so you can imagine what a difference there was in the pictures.

You should not have an issue. As stated by others, it takes a conviction to deny you a permit. That is what they ask for in the app and you can answer no as I did.

MV
PS: I don't want to get into the story, as that was crazy times back then, but I had a dimwit of a bailiff who abused his power and accused me of something I did not do.

RTTech

Back in Andrew, I was arrested for aggravated assault. Went to court and prosecutor dropped charges. Disposition shows no action. I had no issues getting my CWP with the exception that I had to prove I was an American Citizen, so I had to fax them the naturalization certificate with my picture (I was 18 at the time, 56 now) so you can imagine what a difference there was in the pictures.

You should not have an issue. As stated by others, it takes a conviction to deny you a permit. That is what they ask for in the app and you can answer no as I did.

MV
PS: I don't want to get into the story, as that was crazy times back then, but I had a dimwit of a bailiff who abused his power and accused me of something I did not do.

Thanks for your input mavidal. Yes, whenever I am asked if I've ever been convicted, I answer no of course.

I should probably mention that I found my FBI record which was done not too long ago on Oct 2011. At the very last page, it states:

DISPOSITION: CHARGES DROPPED 2006 -**-**; DROPPED/ABANDONED)

It is stated a bit diferent in the Miami Dade County Clerk of Courts public records(NO ACTION/ DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED), but the wording sounds similar.

Do these terms mean the same? Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

Thanks for your input mavidal. Yes, whenever I am asked if I've ever been convicted, I answer no of course.

I should probably mention that I found my FBI record which was done not too long ago on Oct 2011. At the very last page, it states:

DISPOSITION: CHARGES DROPPED 2006 -**-**; DROPPED/ABANDONED)

It is stated a bit diferent in the Miami Dade County Clerk of Courts public records(NO ACTION/ DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED), but the wording sounds similar.

Do these terms mean the same? Can anyone confirm this?

Yup. Different terminology, same meaning. The Court in my county words things a little differently, too.

You're fine, though I would not be surprised to see you get an initial reply of 'conditional' on the background check when you go to purchase a firearm. No biggie.

RTTech

I see.. hopefully that "CONDITIONAL" won't require me to make an appeal.

Thanks for clarifying that man. btw.. this is the weapon I've been wanting to buy:

Benelli Supernova Tactical Shotgun

2ikcy.jpg

..and here's somewhat the mods I'd like for it.. except I'd keep the pistol grip, and the barrel and mag ext. would be flush

10xugif.jpg

rvrctyrngr

Nice choice, my friend.

'Conditional' just means they want to take a closer look at things. If they don't deny within 3 days (I think), no problem. You shouldn't get denied.

RTTech

Nice choice, my friend.

'Conditional' just means they want to take a closer look at things. If they don't deny within 3 days (I think), no problem. You shouldn't get denied.

Awesome, can't wait to do this.. will keep you guys informed of the outcome.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member

I've seen it done. FDLE can be quite fickle about these conditionals and about the denials. If the conditional turns into a denial, then you've got to apply for a UPIN number (which is Federal) as an appeal. Hopefully, your case won't get to that if you're merely buying a firearm, but if you're getting a CCL, you might want to hold on to your hat.

RTTech

I've seen it done. FDLE can be quite fickle about these conditionals and about the denials. If the conditional turns into a denial, then you've got to apply for a UPIN number (which is Federal) as an appeal. Hopefully, your case won't get to that if you're merely buying a firearm, but if you're getting a CCL, you might want to hold on to your hat.

Thanks for the info. man, good or bad this is good to know. I'll keep my fingers crossed.