• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Apparently, there's a war on...

since9

Campaign Veteran
My great-grandfather immigrated from Germany to Iowa before the Civil War. My grandfather carried a .410 to and from school every day because going hungry wasn't fun. He and the other kids in 5th grade stacked their firearms in the corner of the one-room schoolhouse.

Today I received the following, and I present it to you fellow Iowans, minus the calls for money (except to Iowa Gun Owners). Still, your choice. If you want to get involved with the NAGR, also, your choice. I feel you can do more good by contacting your legislators for free than filling the coffers of an intermediary:

In the middle of America, you wouldn't expect there to be much opposition to pro-gun legislation.

But in Iowa, there is -- a massive, well-funded army opposed to Constitutional Carry.

Just last year, NAGR worked with our state-level allies in Wyoming to pass a no-permit-needed Constitutional Carry law -- enacting real carry freedom for law-abiding gun owners.

In an effort to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, the institutional gun lobby has offered a "compromise" to derail Constitutional Carry in Iowa.

To many, that comes as no surprise, but not to me. I've seen "compromise" far too many times to let this one slip by.

Why would I write every gun owner in America for help on this issue?

First, Iowa is truly a pivotal state. Its early Straw Poll and Caucuses make it our nation's most watched political barometer.

Second, rarely does the chance come to pass historic Constitutional Carry legislation like this.

Every freedom lover in America should be excited about the possibility.

To carry the tools of self-defense in Vermont, Alaska, Arizona and Wyoming, you don't have to undergo a background enema, be fingerprinted like a common criminal, pay for state-mandated firearms training or have your name and address end up on some list.

You don't have to beg for your God-given rights.

That's what the Second Amendment REALLY means!

Unfortunately, some of the elitist gun owners in America -- the head-honchos of the institutional gun lobby and some of their state-level lapdogs -- have trouble understanding that.

And they love to partner up with weak-kneed legislators to sink true reform.

In many states, they even directly oppose Vermont-Alaska-Arizona-Wyoming Constitutional Carry.

Their opposition to freedom is nothing but a self-serving "I've got mine" attitude, seasoned with a dash of "Not EVERYONE should be able to carry a gun."

But let's examine that attitude: it means they don't really oppose gun control.

They just oppose gun control when it's imposed on them. Give them their own little tin-pot dictatorship, and they're happy to limit your freedom.

NRA Board Member Clel Baudler, who is also an Iowa State Representative, is the perfect example of this.

In fact, Des Moines political insiders say Baudler is one of the reasons Iowa's gun laws have been so weak.

His "me and my buddies are handling Iowa" attitude has now been exposed.

And Iowa Gun Owners is driving the agenda hard to pass Constitutional Carry, despite Baudler's opposition.

Constitutional Carry does NOT allow a criminal to carry concealed legally, since that criminal is already ineligible to possess a firearm in the first place.

Enacting a Constitutional Carry law simply affirms a God-given right, which is secured by the U.S. Constitution and all but a handful of state constitutions.

While it's true that permitless carry does not provide a mechanism to carry across friendly state lines, it does remove the hoops-and-hurdles in the home state.

If one is worried about reciprocity, acquiring a permit will still be an option.

Or, if you prefer, contribute directly to Iowa Gun Owners. As a fledgling group run by a young man of the highest integrity, Iowa Gun Owners is an organization I fully endorse -- in fact, I believe it's so important to help Iowa Gun Owners that I've donated directly to them myself.

Tucker6900

Mr. Baudler is one of the main reasons why we dont already have Constitutional Carry here.

IMHO, if we can purge our legislation of rumor mill ****** and fear mongers, we will be alot better off. The typical comments of the antis have been heard throughout the state house. The "Wild, Wild, West", "Blood in the streets", and "what about the children" excuses are flying around. The problem with these arguments is they are no longer relivent. There is no viable proof that law abiding citizens automatically become gun wielding felons after these laws pass. I have written several members of the anti party at our statehouse, with no response. They dont have to facts in place to back up their complaints. So they do what every other brainwashed person does in the face of common sense......They use ineffective excuses.

amaixner

As a fledgling group run by a young man of the highest integrity, Iowa Gun Owners is an organization I fully endorse -- in fact, I believe it's so important to help Iowa Gun Owners that I've donated directly to them myself.
The high integrity includes running an organization whos members spit on (literally) those who are not extreme enough for them, threaten legislators until they hate everyone and everything related to gun issues, and taking credit for others' accomplishments. I'll pass.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1294946_.html&page=3&anc=32669689#i32669689

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/12..._the_National_Association_for_Gun_Rights.html

As for Baudler, he's one of the 10 best reps we have in the house for gun issues, and he's in a position to actually get things to the floor so they can be voted on. Maybe people should focus on getting rid of the ones who vote AGAINST gun-freedom bills -- like this guy and his buddies:
Sen. Eugene Fraise, D-Fort Madison, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he was not inclined to move separate pieces of legislation – one a resolution for a constitutional amendment to protect gun rights and a second bill dealing with the justifiable use of reasonable force to defend oneself – through his committee . . . “I’m not willing to do the constitutional change at all,” he said. . . . “I think they [gun rights advocates] ought to sit and savor that [the passage of shall-issue] for awhile before they start pushing for more stuff,” Fraise said.
http://easterniowagovernment.com/2012/03/05/proposed-guns-laws-likely-to-stall-in-iowa-senate/

Thundar

If Iowa passes constitutional carry, then a huge income stream dries up for the NRA. The NRA leads the C2I2 (Concealed Carry Instruction Industry).

After all what do you think is more important to the Negotiate Rights Away crown, the constitution or their power?

amaixner

At OCDO there are two things that are not tolerated, open carry intolerance and long gun open carry

Interesting. Looks like you also have some rights that you don't mind negotiating away. (Unless you are using that to point out the problem, in which case I don't intend an offense there.)

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
If Iowa passes constitutional carry, then a huge income stream dries up for the NRA. The NRA leads the C2I2 (Concealed Carry Instruction Industry).

How much of the roughly $100 per person basic firearms safety course winds up in the NRA's pockets? If an instructor conducts 12 classes a year with 10 students each, that's $12,000 income. How much does the instructor pay the NRA? Perhaps $150 a year to maintain their own certification? That's just over 1%.

One of the local gun ranges requires all members to also be members of the NRA. That's one reason I'll never be a member of that gun range.

After all what do you think is more important to the Negotiate Rights Away crown, the constitution or their power?

I do agree that Constitutional carry is the way to go, not forced concealed carry. CC should be an option, nothing more.