• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry HB2522 Passes the House

hrdware

Hmmm... I wonder if a certified concealed carry instructor from Arkansas would be qualified?

The proposed law specifically states from someone in this state. This would be due to the fact that the instructor is saying that you know the Oklahoma laws. Someone not from Oklahoma may interpret them differently.

Aknazer

The proposed law specifically states from someone in this state. This would be due to the fact that the instructor is saying that you know the Oklahoma laws. Someone not from Oklahoma may interpret them differently.

Which, imo, is ironic given that we have recoprocity for CC which means we allow others to CC in our state without them being specifically taught on our gun laws.

hrdware

Can you cite please?

The actual committee substitute is not yet available on the state's website, however I believe it is identical to SB1092, so here is the reference from SB1092

SB1092 Section 1289.6 Paragraph A Item 6 said:
6. When:
a. issued a document in this state by an individual certified as a National Rifle Association instructor or authorized as an instructor for the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The issuer shall retain the records for all documents issued pursuant to this paragraph for ten (10) years, and nothing in this paragraph shall make issuers liable to any person for any claim of damages as a result of issuing a document pursuant to this paragraph. The document shall conform to the following requirements:
(1) a size of three and one-fourth (3 1/4) inches in length and two and one-fourth (2 1/4) inches in height,
(2) a statement on the front of the document that:
(a) the undersigned has been instructed and understands the open carry laws of Oklahoma, and
(b) the undersigned has been instructed and understands the safe use and handling of firearms,
(3) a designated place for the signature of the holder, and
(4) the back of the document contains the full printed name of the issuer, and
b. the firearm is carried in a holster that is wholly or partially visible or in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible and the person is twenty-one (21) years of age or older. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.13 of this title, a person complying with the requirements of this subparagraph may transport the firearm in a vehicle in a manner provided by this subparagraph. Any person who carries a firearm in the manner provided for in this subparagraph shall be prohibited from carrying the firearm into any of the places prescribed in subsection A of Section 1277 of this title;

hrdware

HB2522 has an amendment filed on the Senate floor. We all expected an amendment, but nothing like this. If the amendment passes, it would add ammunition to the parking lot exemption, change the fine for failure to notify, and make notification on "first opportunity". The ONLY open carry this amendment would allow would be on your own private property that you owned, leased, rented or had legal control over. Since this amendment was placed by the Senate sponsor of the bill, I think our only chance will be SB1733 and I don't look for a conference committee.

hrdware

HB2522 has an amendment filed on the Senate floor. We all expected an amendment, but nothing like this. If the amendment passes, it would add ammunition to the parking lot exemption, change the fine for failure to notify, and make notification on "first opportunity". The ONLY open carry this amendment would allow would be on your own private property that you owned, leased, rented or had legal control over. Since this amendment was placed by the Senate sponsor of the bill, I think our only chance will be SB1733 and I don't look for a conference committee.

Apparently Senator Treat needed to file an amendment to keep this bill off the senate floor so he could have a few more days to work on what he really wanted the bill to say. Rumor has it that if the text of this bill can go back to the engrossed version that came out of the house, it will pass and the gov will sign it.

hrdware

From OK2A.Org:
ACTION ALERT: Open Carry Stalls Out

As people have asked me what chance open carry has of being signed into law this year, I have responded that I am "cautiously optimistic." However, my cautious optimism is slowly turning into aggravated pessimism. Neither HB2522 or SB1733 have been scheduled for floor hearings yet and the deadline is Thursday April 26. Why have these bills, which have sailed through seemingly without a hitch so far, suddenly stalled out?

SB1733 is supposedly being stalled because the Senate author, Senator Anthony Sykes, is playing games with a House bill. We've been told Sen. Sykes is using a House bill to try to redraw some judicial district lines so that he and some of his cronies will be able to run for the bench and win easily. Senator Sykes won't return our calls and has ignored repeated requests to schedule a meeting, so we have not been able to hear his side of the story, however, if this is true, then shame on him. But, that's not a valid reason to hold up a good bill. Using our time and our business to settle a personal vendetta is not acceptable. Call Speaker Steele and the Floor Leader, Representative DeWitt, and politely tell them to quit holding the Second Amendment hostage to settle a problem with another legislator. Tell them to schedule SB1733 for a hearing on the floor immediately. Speaker Steele can be contacted at 405-557-7345 or krissteele@okhouse.gov and Rep. DeWitt can be contacted at 405-557-7332 or daledewitt@okhouse.gov. If you would like to see if Senator Sykes will share his side of this story with you, he may be contacted at 405-521-5569 or lewis@oksenate.gov.

Some say HB2522 has stalled because it was changed and no longer would require a state-issued license. I don't believe that to be the case. Unlicensed open carry passed the Senate with ease last year. Also, I believe that Governor Fallin would sign the bill if it were sent to her. The House, however, is another story. I believe the House leadership would try to kill the bill. This bill is the strongest of the two and needs to be heard by the Senate and sent back to the House. The House needs to be forced to show us (not just tell us) where they stand on allowing you and me to exercise our God-given, Constitutionally-protected right without having to pay the state to do it. They need to be forced into an up or down, yes or no vote on unlicensed open carry. Senator Shulz has been helpful with 2A bills in the past, we want to encourage him to continue. Call Senator Shulz and thank him for his past support of 2A legislation and then politely tell him you are not comfortable with waiting to see what the House does with SB1733. Politely ask him to take the lead on this issue by immediately scheduling HB2522 for a vote on the Senate floor. Senator Shulz may be contacted at 405-521-5612 or schulz@oksenate.gov.

Therealgman

Kudos to Senator Treat

Senator Treat put HB 2522 on the floor calendar today to discuss the bill. Great News. Were still alive

hrdware

HB2522 passed the senate but most of the OC stuff was removed. The only OC in this bill is OC on your own property.

SB1733 will be heard later today and I expect it will pass the House, then go back to the Senate.

Peacemaker65

HB2522 passed the senate but most of the OC stuff was removed. The only OC in this bill is OC on your own property.

SB1733 will be heard later today and I expect it will pass the House, then go back to the Senate.

This did happen today with a Russell amendment to take the word "in" out of a sentence, I believe. This will send the bill back to the Senate in this political game of vollyball. At least they now have a passing vote by both branches of the legislature before the deadline and the Senate has a whole month to approve the final bill. I am looking forward with guarded optimism.

hrdware

This did happen today with a Russell amendment to take the word "in" out of a sentence, I believe. This will send the bill back to the Senate in this political game of vollyball. At least they now have a passing vote by both branches of the legislature before the deadline and the Senate has a whole month to approve the final bill. I am looking forward with guarded optimism.

While the Russell amendment did make a change, the biggest changes were the committee substitute. They removed all the language from SB1733 and replaced it with the engrossed text of HB2522 as it was when it left the house. The powers that be in the senate have said they will accept the changes.

Peacemaker65

While the Russell amendment did make a change, the biggest changes were the committee substitute. They removed all the language from SB1733 and replaced it with the engrossed text of HB2522 as it was when it left the house. The powers that be in the senate have said they will accept the changes.

Then do we have an OC bill or not? These bills have been messed with so much. From what I understand SB1733 now has what HB2522 had before it was all messed up.

Last edited: