Thread: RPD COP vs. Parking Attendant: J1 violation?

RPD COP vs. Parking Attendant: J1 violation?

After reading this, I have to wonder why the RPD didn't charge Sgt. Anthony Papaleo with a § 18.2-308(J1) violation:

Parking-Lot Rage: City Cop vs. Parking Attendant
    An allegedly tipsy off-duty police officer, a parking attendant and a dispute over parking validation. These led to a precarious situation in which Richmond Sgt. Anthony Papaleo finds himself.

Wayne Spencer, a 55-year-old downtown parking attendant, accuses Papaleo of assault and using a racial slur against him during an argument at a downtown parking garage. Papaleo counters that Spencer is the one who attacked him. Since the Feb. 19 incident, both men have filed arrest warrants against each other for assault with the Richmond magistrates' office.

In a warrant filed Feb. 21, Spencer says Papaleo got angry after being informed that without the ticket he'd have to pony up the full $12 parking fee. According to court documents, Papaleo allegedly began yelling threats and obscenities. Among them, a racial slur: "N—-er, I will shoot you."

Papaleo allegedly exited the vehicle and grabbed the parking attendant by the chest, while a passenger inside the car exited and started flashing a police badge. In his statement to the magistrate, Spencer says that Papaleo smelled of alcohol and that his eyes were "bloodshot."
    Not only that, but why wasn't Papaleo arrested for public intoxication? Seems like a double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Not only that, but why wasn't Papaleo arrested for public intoxication? Seems like a double standard.
    Or DWI...

The double standard, my friends, is what they call the "thin blue line."

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    After reading this, I have to wonder why the RPD didn't charge Sgt. Anthony Papaleo with a § 18.2-308(J1) violation:

You would have to prove that he was under the influence at the time. My guess is that PD didn't respond to this and the 2 parties sought warrants at the Magistrate's office after the fact......but that is just my guess.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Aren't all the parking structures equiped with CCTV cameras at the exit/entrace to ensure folks don't skip out on paying?
    Will this be another case were the video camera wasn't working??????????

I would like to hear the car passengers side of this story...
    Last edited by Marco; 03-07-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    You would have to prove that he was under the influence at the time. My guess is that PD didn't respond to this and the 2 parties sought warrants at the Magistrate's office after the fact......but that is just my guess.
    They didn't used to file cross warrants Jim. Apparently the Magistrate thought there was something there.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    Aren't all the parking structures equiped with CCTV cameras at the exit/entrace to ensure folks don't skip out on paying?
    Will this be another case were the video camera wasn't working??????????

I would like to hear the car passengers side of this story...
    Considering that the passenger is claimed to have exited the vehicle waving a police badge, I'm sure his story will back up Papaleo's story, irregardless of what actually transpired...

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Founder's Club Member
    so what does this have to do with OC in Virginia?

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend73 View Post
    so what does this have to do with OC in Virginia?
    Too easy.
    It re-enforces why a voice recorder is an important tool in our arsenal.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member
    Too easy.
    Well played sir. Well played.

Parking-Lot Rage: City Cop vs. Parking Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    Considering that the passenger is claimed to have exited the vehicle waving a police badge, I'm sure his story will back up Papaleo's story, irregardless of what actually transpired...

Roscoe
    If the passenger was LEO, the s/he should have arrested Papaleo. Failure to do so should be considered dereliction of duty. However, this passenger will likely claim that Papaleo (Papa Leo? Really?) wasn't intoxicted,; after all it's a judgement call.

It's a case of he said, they said, and we know who they are. At the very least, this should be investigated by RPD IA. Oh, wait
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Way OT, here, but I am curious.

Does a parking lot attendant incur any liability for returning a car to an obviously intoxicated owner/driver?
    If the driver injures or kills someone shortly after retrieving his car, can the victim/family/estate sue the attendant or his company for not keeping a drunk driver off the road, when he had an opportunity to do so?

Too easy.
    Isn't it wonderful that Virginia is a one-party consent state for purposes of recording?

I looked at google maps- satellite - and there is a building about 700 feet away on the other side of the toll road that has the features of a school. If the attendant saw the bloodshot eyed po-po's gun while being verbally threatened with being shot, then a very plausable felony brandishing charge should come forward.

Don't know for sure who is right or wrong about this one, but the attendant appears to have filed first. Late police charges are often CYA moves.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

This smells of more than alcohol. Could it also be a 1983 suit against the passanger by trying to intimidate the attendant?
    Last edited by mobeewan; 03-08-2012 at 02:02 AM.