• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RPD COP vs. Parking Attendant: J1 violation?

Repeater

After reading this, I have to wonder why the RPD didn't charge Sgt. Anthony Papaleo with a § 18.2-308(J1) violation:

Parking-Lot Rage: City Cop vs. Parking Attendant
An allegedly tipsy off-duty police officer, a parking attendant and a dispute over parking validation. These led to a precarious situation in which Richmond Sgt. Anthony Papaleo finds himself.

Wayne Spencer, a 55-year-old downtown parking attendant, accuses Papaleo of assault and using a racial slur against him during an argument at a downtown parking garage. Papaleo counters that Spencer is the one who attacked him. Since the Feb. 19 incident, both men have filed arrest warrants against each other for assault with the Richmond magistrates' office.

In a warrant filed Feb. 21, Spencer says Papaleo got angry after being informed that without the ticket he'd have to pony up the full $12 parking fee. According to court documents, Papaleo allegedly began yelling threats and obscenities. Among them, a racial slur: "N—-er, I will shoot you."

Papaleo allegedly exited the vehicle and grabbed the parking attendant by the chest, while a passenger inside the car exited and started flashing a police badge. In his statement to the magistrate, Spencer says that Papaleo smelled of alcohol and that his eyes were "bloodshot."

Not only that, but why wasn't Papaleo arrested for public intoxication? Seems like a double standard.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
After reading this, I have to wonder why the RPD didn't charge Sgt. Anthony Papaleo with a § 18.2-308(J1) violation:

Not only that, but why wasn't Papaleo arrested for public intoxication? Seems like a double standard.

You would have to prove that he was under the influence at the time. My guess is that PD didn't respond to this and the 2 parties sought warrants at the Magistrate's office after the fact......but that is just my guess.

Marco

Aren't all the parking structures equiped with CCTV cameras at the exit/entrace to ensure folks don't skip out on paying?
Will this be another case were the video camera wasn't working??????????

I would like to hear the car passengers side of this story... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You would have to prove that he was under the influence at the time. My guess is that PD didn't respond to this and the 2 parties sought warrants at the Magistrate's office after the fact......but that is just my guess.

They didn't used to file cross warrants Jim. Apparently the Magistrate thought there was something there.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Aren't all the parking structures equiped with CCTV cameras at the exit/entrace to ensure folks don't skip out on paying?
Will this be another case were the video camera wasn't working??????????

I would like to hear the car passengers side of this story... :rolleyes:

Considering that the passenger is claimed to have exited the vehicle waving a police badge, I'm sure his story will back up Papaleo's story, irregardless of what actually transpired...

Roscoe

2a4all

Parking-Lot Rage: City Cop vs. Parking Attendant

Considering that the passenger is claimed to have exited the vehicle waving a police badge, I'm sure his story will back up Papaleo's story, irregardless of what actually transpired...

Roscoe
If the passenger was LEO, the s/he should have arrested Papaleo. Failure to do so should be considered dereliction of duty. However, this passenger will likely claim that Papaleo (Papa Leo? Really?) wasn't intoxicted,; after all it's a judgement call.

It's a case of he said, they said, and we know who they are. At the very least, this should be investigated by RPD IA. Oh, wait :banghead:

USNA69

Way OT, here, but I am curious.

Does a parking lot attendant incur any liability for returning a car to an obviously intoxicated owner/driver?
If the driver injures or kills someone shortly after retrieving his car, can the victim/family/estate sue the attendant or his company for not keeping a drunk driver off the road, when he had an opportunity to do so?

Thundar

I looked at google maps- satellite - and there is a building about 700 feet away on the other side of the toll road that has the features of a school. If the attendant saw the bloodshot eyed po-po's gun while being verbally threatened with being shot, then a very plausable felony brandishing charge should come forward.

Don't know for sure who is right or wrong about this one, but the attendant appears to have filed first. Late police charges are often CYA moves.

mobeewan

This smells of more than alcohol. Could it also be a 1983 suit against the passanger by trying to intimidate the attendant?

Last edited: