• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Repeal 2 year requalify requirement

elebuttfish

As soon as my daughter's house sells I will be back to NM. I have been looking into the classes and they are too tactical for me. I am/was a hand gun hunter from the Dave Cargo / Bruce King era. I figure if the 2 year requalify requirement was abolished then the rest of the law would seem reasonable.

AH.74

As soon as my daughter's house sells I will be back to NM. I have been looking into the classes and they are too tactical for me. I am/was a hand gun hunter from the Dave Cargo / Bruce King era. I figure if the 2 year requalify requirement was abolished then the rest of the law would seem reasonable.

What do you mean by tactical? The class I took was not tactical at all. It was actually geared toward complete beginners to tell the truth. Almost all of the classroom time was spent on going over the laws. There was some discussion on avoidance and de-escalation, but not much more than that.

If you're coming back here, just take the course and get the license. It's really not that big a deal.

AH.74

I'm sure your right it is not that big a deal. One instructor that I looked into does not allow "single action" firearms to be used in his class. That is all I own.

Semi's or revolvers?

My instructor had a SA revolver as part of the class so everyone would know how to use them. He also had several others of his own out so people could check them out- both semis and revolvers.

It was required to have your own gun/s and ammo for the course but he did end up letting a couple of people use one of his large S&W revolvers for the revolver qualification as they only had semis with them.

elebuttfish

He will not allow "cowboy" western style handguns. My firearm useage is for recreational purposes only, not interested in "packin" when I go to the mall or anywhere else. When I put on my coat because I got cold and my gun is no longer visable I do not want to be in violation of the law. I have a CC permit here in Washington but I do not carry. It allows me to have it loaded in my truck.

Last edited:

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members

Awesome. Happy to have you back. If there's anything else about of firearms laws you're unclear about - be sure and ask.

You might peek at www.handgunlaw.us or www.nm-ccw.com for more details.

Steve Aikens

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
He will not allow "cowboy" western style handguns. My firearm useage is for recreational purposes only, not interested in "packin" when I go to the mall or anywhere else. When I put on my coat because I got cold and my gun is no longer visable I do not want to be in violation of the law. I have a CC permit here in Washington but I do not carry. It allows me to have it loaded in my truck.

Hmm. Though I don't mention 'cowboy western style guns' - I do not allow qualification of single action revolvers in my classes.

"I will not allow qualification with any single action revolver or any compensated/ported firearm. If you intend to qualify with these or any similar firearms - insure you contact me before signing up for the class. You may not be allowed to qualify if other arrangements for a firearm are not made.

This is a CONCEALED CARRY, PERSONAL PROTECTION COURSE! I reserve the right to disqualify any firearm during range sessions I deem unsafe or unsuitable for a concealed carry, personal protection firearm."

Further, there are several other firearms I refuse to allow in my classes, as well as derringers. I'm certain other instructors will allow students to qualify with them - that's their business. I won't. If I know from experience that a particular firearm is unsafe, unreliable or for some other reason unsuitable for on-the-body concealed carry any student that wants to qualify with those firearms will have to find another instructor. My training and certifications - my policies.

With 403 Approved Instructors in New Mexico, I don't think anyone will have trouble finding an instructor that's willing to accept qualifications for anything you want to shoot.

Steve Aikens

elebuttfish

Thanks Steve, I am not after personal protection carry that is why I am calling it "tactical" , two hand hold , shoulders square to the target and in a semi crouched position firing double action and in the class room the related info pertaining to self defense and the like. My shooting is deliberate aimed and controled fire required for hunting. Again I put on a coat and it is then concealed. I will find someone, I did receive a PM from a fellow and I will be in contact with him. In Washington we have a 7 day wait on purchase of a short gun but the CC permit allows you instant pick up without the wait. Also we allow firearms in state parks. In this day and age if you travel or move you need to have a laptop and a lawyer along with your roadside emergency kit. Again thank you.

castiel

This isn't legal advice, but ...

Honestly if you're just going to be carrying your gun in the forest while you're hunting with no one else around I wouldn't even worry about putting a jacket over the gun. Just be sure it's off when you go into town for breakfast.

gunscribe

500 S&W in my last class

In my last NM CHL class there were two students that qualified with a 500 S&W revolver.

One of them had been bear hunting last year on a cold, wet rainy day. His 500 was in a chest holster and due to the weather he kept it covered with his coat. He was "checked" by a NM Game & Fish officer who told him that if he caught him with it concealed again he would be cited for concealed carry without a CHL.

His only reason for owning the 500 was hunting and not CCW, but due to the threat of a citation he felt the need to get a CHL for it.

Depending on the reason it is entirly practical for someone to quailfy with a SA for a CHL.

elebuttfish

Gunscribe, yes this is exactly what concerns me. New Mexico law allows you to hunt with a handgun and any "resonable" person would understand that you may at times have to coverup with an article of clothing. Some how some way there needs to be an "exception to the rule". I am from the Dave Cargo, Bruce King era and back then people had common sense. I moved from NM in 2001 and I thought Washington was the most liberal thinking state that I had ever lived in. I would boast about how common sensed the NM gun laws were. WHAT HAPPENED? Washington laws are nothing compared to NM.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Qualify? Sounds like a guaranteed moneymaker for the instructors. Has anyone ever asked if "qualifying" accomplishes anything worthwhile? How many times does one have to read about police firing X number of rounds at a suspect, and hitting the suspect once or twice? How many times does one have to read about some police officer "accidentally" shooting himself? Remember, these are the supposed experts.

Here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (definitely not the "Wild" West, although once upon a time it was the western frontier), to get a license which allows one to carry concealed (among other things), one must fill out a one-page application and fork over twenty bucks. Written test? None. Safety class? None. Firearms proficiency course? None. Fingerprints? None. Anything else? None. Over 700,000 residents possess a License to Carry Firearms. Problems? None.

AH.74

Qualify? Sounds like a guaranteed moneymaker for the instructors. Has anyone ever asked if "qualifying" accomplishes anything worthwhile? How many times does one have to read about police firing X number of rounds at a suspect, and hitting the suspect once or twice? How many times does one have to read about some police officer "accidentally" shooting himself? Remember, these are the supposed experts.

Here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (definitely not the "Wild" West, although once upon a time it was the western frontier), to get a license which allows one to carry concealed (among other things), one must fill out a one-page application and fork over twenty bucks. Written test? None. Safety class? None. Firearms proficiency course? None. Fingerprints? None. Anything else? None. Over 700,000 residents possess a License to Carry Firearms. Problems? None.

What's your point?

You do what you have to do, if you want to have a license from this state.

That's what we have to do, so those of use who want to, do it. Those of us who choose not to are welcome to that choice as well.

You are fortunate to not have to do that. Good for you. But don't come in here and criticize, it does nothing constructive.

Statkowski

What's your point?

You do what you have to do, if you want to have a license from this state. That's what we have to do, so those of use who want to, do it. .... But don't come in here and criticize, it does nothing constructive.

The point is, you have to lobby your elected representatives. Ask them why they don't trust the citizenry. Ask them why you have to jump through additional hoops when other states don't require the same. Ask them if their additional requirements actually accomplish anything. Please, if necessary, use Pennsylvania as an example.

AH.74

The point is, you have to lobby your elected representatives. Ask them why they don't trust the citizenry. Ask them why you have to jump through additional hoops when other states don't require the same. Ask them if their additional requirements actually accomplish anything. Please, if necessary, use Pennsylvania as an example.

Please read Steve Aikens' recent post about the political climate in this state, and his posts in this very thread. I have faith in the people who are doing all they can to enact such change. These changes don't just come about as easily as you suggest.

All state laws are not the same. And most likely they never will be.

In actuality, the requirements are not that big a deal. While they are more than yours, it's not so much of a burden in the grand scheme of things.

Statkowski

In actuality, the requirements are not that big a deal. While they are more than yours, it's not so much of a burden in the grand scheme of things.

From handgunlaw.us for a New Mexico CHL (Concealed Handgun License):

(1) Complete two-page application
(2) Photocopy of New Mexico Driver License of ID
(3) $100.00 Application Fee (no cash) for a four year license
(4) Certified Original Birth Certificate
(5) Training Certificate (New Mexico Certified Instructors)
(6) Two Fingerprint Cards, complete and signed
(7) Health Information Release Form
(8) Authorization for Release of Information

For a Pennsylvania LTCF (License to Carry Firearms):

(1) A photo copy of a license to carry a firearm (concealed carry permit) from your home state if that state has a concealed carry law. If from IL you should bring your FOID Card.
(2) A photo copy of your Driver's License.
(3) Names, Addresses and Phone #’s of 2 references.
(4) $20.00 for five year license and out of state processing.

True, every state is different and, compared to some, New Mexico's process is better than some. Of course, you don't issue nonresident licenses, and you have more restrictions on where you can and cannot carry, OC or CC. But, looking at what they're asking for your application, it appears they're assuming you're guilty until proven innocent.

If my initial comparison comments offended anyone, I apologize, but we all have to work hard at getting our respective state legislatures to do a better, less-intrusive job on firearms laws.

AH.74

I know what the requirements are- I've gone through it here. You don't have to quote them for me.

We here in NM know what we have to deal with. We don't need you to come in here and tell us how much less restrictive your state's laws are, and that we need to be more like PA.

XDm

I remember instructors talking about 2yr recertifcations but the licenses only reflect the 4yr span of valid dates. Does DPS track you down if you miss the 22-26 month window and revoke your permit? Anybody ever missed the recert?