• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shouting 'USA!USA!' is racist..

GhostOfJefferson

No, it's true!

For example, I'm not just an American, nor solely a North American, nor strictly just united States citizen, I'm a USA-American!

My race is USA-ian, you see. I surely expect to see "Race: USA-American" on the next census form.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I think they are saying its racist because the losing team's players were primarily Hispanic, so the chant was meant to be derogatory and implying the losing players were not American. So implying hispanic people are not Americans is racist and thus using the chant to do so is racist.

Beretta92FSLady

I suppose the first thing we would have to do is agree whether or not shouting "USA! USA!" in a particular context and for a particular reason can be viewed as racist--I say yes. Was it in this case? There might have been some racial undertones.

09jisaac

I think they are saying its racist because the losing team's players were primarily Hispanic, so the chant was meant to be derogatory and implying the losing players were not American. So implying hispanic people are not Americans is racist and thus using the chant to do so is racist.

If the losing team took it that way then they should go back to where they came from. If it is still in the United States then what is their problem? That is like some people calling blacks "African-American" like they are LESS american than the rest. I am never called "English-American" or "German-American" because I am 100% American. Most people in this country is.

09jisaac

I suppose the first thing we would have to do is agree whether or not shouting "USA! USA!" in a particular context and for a particular reason can be viewed as racist--I say yes. Was it in this case? There might have been some racial undertones.

I am not saying it wasn't MEANT to be derogatory, but you can only take offense to it if you allow it to be offensive. Nothing you say about me (as long as it is true) I take as derogatory, even if you meant it to be. Why? Because I am proud of what I am. I am not saying I am better than anyone because I am what I am, but I am proud of it.

DocWalker

If the losing team took it that way then they should go back to where they came from. If it is still in the United States then what is their problem? That is like some people calling blacks "African-American" like they are LESS american than the rest. I am never called "English-American" or "German-American" because I am 100% American. Most people in this country is.

I tend to agree that chantting USA in the USA is NEVER racist.

The school from the USA played another school from the USA, if nobody is breaking the law by attending either school illegally then what is the problem.

If I was the other school I would have started chanting back USA USA in unison with the other team as we are all Americans or they should have been.

If the winning team would have started yelling their team mascot then they would have been branded as poor winners and hurt the fragile egos of the loosing team.

ENOUGH OF THIS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS CRAP.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Hateful and Racist speech is protected by the first amendment.

Obviously, most of us would agree chanting USA sometimes is a rather normal thing in our society. The context and the intention of those who chose to do so is what is being questioned here.

Stanley

Kids do a lot of stuff that can be thoughtless or hurtful but I find it highly dubious that every single one of these kids hates Latinos and in a moment of "white solidarity" decided to ridicule the other team in a racist manner.

Is it just me or are there either 2 Latino kids or a Latino kid and a black kid shouting along with the white kids? EDIT: There's another "brown" kid in there (top left) as well that I missed. So 3 brown kids. At least one, the lower right is Latino. The other 2 are maybes...

racism?.jpg

I'm guessing just kids being kids without any racist intent...

That's just me though.

Last edited:

DocWalker

Kids do a lot of stuff that can be thoughtless or hurtful but I find it highly dubious that every single one of these kids hates Latinos and in a moment of "white solidarity" decided to ridicule the other team in a racist manner.

Is it just me or are there either 2 Latino kids or a Latino kid and a black kid shouting along with the white kids? EDIT: There's another "brown" kid in there (top left) as well that I missed. So 3 brown kids. At least one, the lower right is Latino. The other 2 are maybes...

View attachment 8081

I'm guessing just kids being kids without any racist intent...

That's just me though.

Again it is this political correctness crap that is the issue, the other team is from the USA also so why are they offended at all. They should have shooted USA right back as one big happy nation.

They lost and by claiming their feelings got hurt they are attempting to make the other team look bad. These are the same people that don't stand for the National Anthem.

I have no use for them.

Beretta92FSLady

I am not saying it wasn't MEANT to be derogatory, but you can only take offense to it if you allow it to be offensive. Nothing you say about me (as long as it is true) I take as derogatory, even if you meant it to be. Why? Because I am proud of what I am. I am not saying I am better than anyone because I am what I am, but I am proud of it.

I get what you are stating. I agree, for the most part.

Racism these days, because racism is looked down upon by society, has taken refuge in undertones, which makes it harder to identify, and call someone on when they are being racist. It is an easy out for some individuals who don't have the nerve to state what they have to state, in the open.

Beretta92FSLady

Again it is this political correctness crap that is the issue, the other team is from the USA also so why are they offended at all. They should have shooted USA right back as one big happy nation.

They lost and by claiming their feelings got hurt they are attempting to make the other team look bad. These are the same people that don't stand for the National Anthem.

I have no use for them.

The question is; Why would one USA team be yelling "USA" at the other USA team? Let's get real here, there is something implied in the "USA" chant. The chanting implies that the other team is not USA. We aren't talking about a USA team, and a Mexico team here; the statement is being made for a reason.

Just one more example of racist undertones run amok in this Country. I am not big on PC but when there is something being implied, well, it ought to be pointed out and dealt with. Sure, there are plenty of individuals who would rather brush it off and act as if it is some innocent chant that means nothing--the kids have watched racist undertones in our political system ramp up the past three years. Naturally, these kids are going to be more savvy when it comes to making racist statements.

DocWalker

The question is; Why would one USA team be yelling "USA" at the other USA team? Let's get real here, there is something implied in the "USA" chant. The chanting implies that the other team is not USA. We aren't talking about a USA team, and a Mexico team here; the statement is being made for a reason.

Just one more example of racist undertones run amok in this Country. I am not big on PC but when there is something being implied, well, it ought to be pointed out and dealt with. Sure, there are plenty of individuals who would rather brush it off and act as if it is some innocent chant that means nothing--the kids have watched racist undertones in our political system ramp up the past three years. Naturally, these kids are going to be more savvy when it comes to making racist statements.

Your answer to "why would one USA team be yelling USA at another USA team?" is the team that just won might have had a good intention. Instead of chanting "LOOSERS" at them they might have been chating USA as if to say "good game and we won, but we are all on a bigger team....USA"

But with all this PC crap and everyone playing a victim they are going to take it the way they did.

My question is why did they take it that way, are they not all US citizens on the other team? If they are not and are not exchange students then they are BREAKING THE LAW, and I don't give a crap about what criminals think.

DocWalker

Racism is over played.

If someone losses it is because the winner is racist.

If someone doesn't get the job then someone is racisit.

If someone hurts your feeling then that person must be racist.

I don't deny there is racism, but it has been called out so much when racism wasn't there that is is akin to the story of crying wolf.

Stanley

Listen... I get you. I'm half black. I grew up in Texas. If anyone here has actually experienced the real, scary, think you are going to die in a field at the hands of scary white people with guns in Vidor, Texas, not that far from where James Byrd was eventually dragged to death, screaming the N-word kind of racism it's me.

Generally I would agree with your point.

In THIS case I don't. Why?

1) They are kids. No way are this many kids feeling the same way about anything. At most one or two 2. There are 30+ in there.

2) More likely than not, one or two started it and everyone else jumped in. How many of us did things like this? I did.

3) There are brown people yelling too. So, even if the first kid to start it was racist, that in no way implies the others are.

4) There are brown people yelling too. This bears repeating.

Was it dumb? Yes. Was it racist? Eh... In this instance I'll err on the side of no. There are enough real racists running around that I'm not gonna worry about a bunch of immature kids.

Last edited:

DocWalker

Listen... I get you. I'm half black. I grew up in Texas. If anyone here has actually experienced the real, scary, think you are going to die in a field at the hands of scary white people with guns in Vidor, Texas, not that far from where Robert Byrd was eventually dragged to death, screaming the N-word kind of racism it's me.

1) They are kids. No way are this many kids feeling the same way about anything. At most one or two 2. There are 30+ in there.

2) More likely than not, one or two started it and everyone else jumped in. How many of us did things like this? I did.

3) There are brown people yelling too. So, even if the first kid to start it was racist, that in no way implies the others are.

Was it dumb? Yes. Was it racist? Eh... In this instance I'll err on the side of no. There are enough real racists running around that I'm not gonna worry about a bunch of immature kids.

+1

My point exactly, by calling everything racist people become numb to real racism.

fire suppressor

First off really? I can't even take pride in my country anymore without being racist!? I do not think that is what the founding fathers had in mind when they where dying to give us our rights. I could understand someone arguing the chant to maybe be derogatory or maybe intimidating... maybe but racist? I am not so sure. America was founded by Englishmen yes but then it was largely populated by people from all over the world. We are made up of such a diverse varying amounts of cultures to to form this country to say that only one race is yelling at another simply makes me laugh.

On a 2nd thought we are all so worried about offending each other now in this politically correct world we no long know how deal with our emotions. Part of growing up is hearing your parents tell you no and hearing people express views that are different than yours. We are not doing ours kids any favors by teaching them to be so intolerant or disobedient to one and other.

To get back on track I am not sure this was a case of racism as much as you could have called it intimidation but I think that is even a stretch. People need to find them selfs a hobby because all this politically correct lets makes the rules up as we go along stuff is getting way out of control

Beretta92FSLady

Listen... I get you. I'm half black. I grew up in Texas. If anyone here has actually experienced the real, scary, think you are going to die in a field at the hands of scary white people with guns in Vidor, Texas, not that far from where James Byrd was eventually dragged to death, screaming the N-word kind of racism it's me.

(1)Was it dumb? Yes. (2)Was it racist? Eh... In this instance I'll err on the side of no. (3)There are enough real racists running around that I'm not gonna worry about a bunch of immature kids.

The last portion of your post is what caught my eye.

(1) If the kids meant nothing racist by it then why would it be dumb?

(2) I am not black, but I am a dyke. I know when someone is making a statement that has discriminatory undertones to it; and you do as well. This portion of your response reflects precisely that. You can't definitively state that it wasn't racist, your long pause, but you know that there is a chance that it was, considering the context, and your experience in a racist, discriminatory society that typically surface as undertones--making a statement without making the statement.

(3) And then you point out that there are enough 'real raicsts' out there, and I agree. I do not mean to imply that these kids were being overtly racist, or discriminatory and grasping fully what it was that they were implying but they grasped enough to oddly chant "USA...USA." You are right though, they are immature kids.

Some individuals prefer to downplay it, call it "playing the race card," "PC" or whatever. I do believe that we are way to PC in this Country but that doesn't discount the reality that discriminatory statements are made about race, and they are presented in undertones, in order that the individual making the statement can back away from it, and deny stating what they stated to save face in the midst of a backlash.