• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any anti-facebookers here?

DWCook

Activist Member
Just curious as to know how many people here have never used or quit using Facebook? I recently closed my account due to too much privacy issues and my information being thrown on the net when it was suppose to be secured. Yes I understand anything you post online people can and will find. I'm pretty much staying away from Facebook, Google+, etc, due to websites and corporations bending over to allow information of others to be seen every where. Facebook used to be a good social site, but now its turned into a problem. Nothing is secured anymore no matter what the site policy states or the company, I figure I stop now.

You can call this a rant/ question for everyone here, but I'm personally tired of Facebook due to its got its fingers into everything. Some sites I used to visit now require you to have a Facebook account to even post or view. I call this an easy way for websites to get your information all in one place. I personally do not like how websites are using your Facebook account as a membership for their site, easy way for them to get information, pictures, your friends, etc.

jeeper1

I have never bothered with any of the social web sites. I would not even go to one of them if somebody posted a link to something on them. I also don't go to videos from links that get posted on forums BECAUSE i CAN READ A LOT FASTER THAN i CAN WATCH OR LISTEN!

Otto Schreck

DWCook, my feelings are the same as yours. After closing my Google account my spam mail virtually disappeared. Google is evil, Facebook totally is no big deal to me. Any website that wants me to register to view their content is nuked by me instantly. I do not need them.

Facebook is getting more ridiculous by the day. I also no longer have an account.

Last edited:

FMJ 911

I've been using Facebook and Google for many years.

I might formally Complain to Facebook for all their tomfoolery. I don't think it'll do much good, so I might just quietly leave them behind.

DWCook

Activist Member
I don't have any personal hatred towards the creators of Facebook, but now its a money game and a privacy issue. Everyone wants a piece of Facebook and wants money out of it. I'm getting tired of the stupid requests of Facebook games, the take this survey and win this crap. I have pretty much slim down my internet usage to practically nothing. Yes I use Netflix and a few forum sites for info and such, but other than that, my internet usage is nothing. Not blaming the internet by any means, but Facebook used to be a normal social gathering site, now its a money making business. If they would have kept Facebook the way it originally started, I would have not mind keeping my account. But since they changed, including google, I have deemed them not friendly.

As again don't mind the typing errors as I'm using my Sprint Evo 4G phone at the moment.

OC for ME

Doesn't anyone 'talk' on the phone (cellphone) any more?

....as I type these words in a gun forum....on the Interwebs....from my Mom's basement....in my PJs....eating Captain Crunch....

Never use 'social media' because it ain't social, just media. Folks just want to see their name & face on the Interwebs....a little fame, so to speak.

Google yourself, if you get anything more than 'phone book' (yes, I still use the paper phone book) data you have too much information out on the Interwebs.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What is this "FacePage" you refer to? More to the point, what is "social networking"?

I think I have a page because someone I communicate with said I should. I then found that folks were so busy posting what they were doing that they had no time to actually do anything. And their "friends" were telling me what they were doing, as well. Those were people I had never been introduced to! Why were they telling me anything?

I will either call you on some sort of telephone, or I will send you an email. If you want to know what I'm doing, contact me by either method and ask. If you need to know where I am, or I need to let you know where I am, it's probably a time when the rounding-up of money and lawyers would be a good idea.

If I ever replace my current cellphone I will not only be able to fit it into my pocket but - so I'm told - have, whether or not I want them, all sorts of "features" that I have managed all these years to do without. If I wanted to watch a movie on a screen less than an inch across I would have had better eyesight! So maybe LawDog needs a phone that has both bells and whistles after all ( http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2012/02/but-but-but.html ), but I see no need for letting that into my hermit cave.

stay safe.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Leaving/un-accounting Facebook

That may not be possible. Back in the early days of social networking, before its abuse was clear and rampant, I made accounts on a number of such sites. They are still there despite my best efforts to delete them. About G00gle's abuse, at one of the link URL above are instructions on adjusting your G00gle account search history to be minimal.

ncwabbit

dwc, et al., mght wish to go search ur open carry 'name' with/or without the words opencarry behind it, ( dwcook opencarry)
and see your entire posting history revealed via say IE. same happens if john q public pings some firearm subject!

never endulged in facebook antics...

wabbit

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
dwc, et al., mght wish to go search ur open carry 'name' with/or without the words opencarry behind it, ( dwcook opencarry)
and see your entire posting history revealed via say IE. same happens if john q public pings some firearm subject!

never endulged in facebook antics...

wabbit

I sure hope it shows up - I wrote it and I meant it! Never typed a word I was not prepared to let the whole world see. I knew going in that the intertubes were a public record even on a private board like OCDO.

stay safe.

WOD

I had a MySpace page for about two months. I originally started an account there to "hopefully" enlarge my listening audience, and to have exchanges with other people. Well, as it turns out, the main use by the people there, seemed to be the "look at me" aspect, rather than actually taking an interest in other people. So, even though some people I actually know in reality had pages there, I closed my account. I still have my Last.FM.com page for posting my music, but I don't actively pimp my wares there. If people are curious, they'll find it. I figured Facebook was more of the same, and I don't have the desire to be so self important, that I need to publish my everyday activities to the world. I hate cell phones too... but that's another topic.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Never used Myface or Spacebook. No one needs to know that much about me and my bowel movements. :)

Besides OCDO is all I need for internet social interaction.

Last edited:

DangerClose

May as well use Facebook and other things since the gubmint follows everyone home from this site anyway cuz you guys are evil with your liking guns and all.

Nope, I don't have accounts like that.

Speaking of search engines tracking you...
Bing.com only holds your info for like 90 days. There's also startpage.com people might want to check out.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm reaching close to 3,000 people every time I find something worthwhile to post, which, as a member of many groups and pages, as well as my own 300+ friends, is usually many times a day.

The clearest picture of how many people I'm reaching are the number of shares others do in response to what I post, and that's over ten a day.

MNMGoneShooting

Facebook is worse than smoking. I deleted my account several times only to go back and deactivate it.

I'm happy to say I've been Facebook free for about a month. I find Tapatalk on the gun forums fill my void.

Hopefully OpenCarry won't read the texts on my cell phone!