• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flare gun in vehicle

thenewchance

Just wondering, what is the legality of having a flaregun inside of a vehicle for the purpose of a distress signal? It's technically defined as a "firearm" so I'm not sure how this works.

msteinhilber

Carry it in your vehicle like you would any other firearm as per State law then as you're right, it could/would probably be technically classified as a firearm:

167.31(c) "Firearm" means a weapon that acts by force of gunpowder.

175.60(bm) "Handgun" means any weapon designed or redesigned, or made or remade, and intended to be fired while held in one hand and to use the energy of an explosive to expel a projectile through a smooth or rifled bore. "Handgun" does not include a machine gun, as defined in s. 941.27 (1), a short-barreled rifle, as defined in s. 941.28 (1) (b), or a short-barreled shotgun, as defined in s. 941.28 (1) (c).

On the other hand, the ATF doesn't consider a flare launcher to be a firearm by itself. It will, however, become classified as AOW if you have inserts installed to fire standard cartridges.

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Carry it in your vehicle like you would any other firearm as per State law then as you're right, it could/would probably be technically classified as a firearm:

167.31(c) "Firearm" means a weapon that acts by force of gunpowder.

175.60(bm) "Handgun" means any weapon designed or redesigned, or made or remade, and intended to be fired while held in one hand and to use the energy of an explosive to expel a projectile through a smooth or rifled bore. "Handgun" does not include a machine gun, as defined in s. 941.27 (1), a short-barreled rifle, as defined in s. 941.28 (1) (b), or a short-barreled shotgun, as defined in s. 941.28 (1) (c).

On the other hand, the ATF doesn't consider a flare launcher to be a firearm by itself. It will, however, become classified as AOW if you have inserts installed to fire standard cartridges.

I don't think flare guns are considered firearms. The ATF doesn't think they are. It may be an implement that acts by force of gunpowder, but it's not a weapon that acts by gun powder.

Fallschirjmäger

The answer may be contained within the statute itself; "167.31(c) "Firearm" means a weapon that acts by force of gunpowder."
There are 'powder actuated tools' that use gunpowder to drive fasteners yet are not thought of as weapons. I think one has to look at the entirety of the clause and understand the meaning behind it and not concentrate on a sub-set of words.
FH00FEB_POWTOO_02.JPG

Last edited: