• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Definition of "Open"

JaredI

I just purchased a Glock 22 and I don't have the funds for a full blown CCDW right now but I was looking at purchasing a holster for acceptable OC between now and when I have the CCDW to hue me the option to carry either way.

This brought up an interesting question in the definition of open. Is my G22 grip and rear slide sticking up out of my pants in an IWB holster considered open? I realize I will have to have it exposed an no shirt over it or anything like that but is leaving the forward part of it inside my pants considered concealing it?

I am hoping to be able to buy only one holster and be able to use it for both CC and OC. I am poor you see and can't afford multiple holsters when I'm still trying to afford the CCDW class.

Thanks all,
Jared

KYGlockster

Activist Member
There is no case law on this subject to give you a definitive answer. What the state supreme court has ruled is as long as the firearm is worn outside of your shirt for all to see, no one can question yOur right to carry that way. My advice is if you can't afford your cdwl then you certainly can't afford to fight a concealed weapon charge in the courts, so buy a OWB holster with retention, like blackhawk serpa or galco with a thumbbreak. Better to be sure than arrested, and with a galco holster, it rides so close to the body, once you get your cdwl, you will not have a problem concealing. A holster is certainly one piece of vital equipment you don't wanna go cheap on. The new blackhawk leather rigs are very nice as well, I'm starting to like them more than galco for OC.

09jisaac

In my opinion it isn't concealed. You would show exactly as much gun as I do with my OWB holster. But like glockster said, you don't want to be fighting a legal battle.

neuroblades

I have to concur witrh the above two posts on this one. Unless you are willing to run the risk of an unneeded legal battle if some LEO decides to try to "make an example out of you", for now it's best to stick to an OWB holster, to be on the safe side. No one could argue against that.

P.S. I just noticed that you listed your location as Bardstown and figured I'd better toss this in quickly. Bardstown has been an "issue" area with KC3 (Kentucky Coalition to Carry Concealed). t would definitely be advisable to work with the OWB holster for the time being.

Last edited:

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard JaredI,

I would agree with the aforementioned opinion of "open" means visible. Concealed means not visible. I haven't heard of anywhere yet that has any real definition of "Open".

As for holsters, if you go to Tinyurl.com/new-to-guns you will find lots of info available. There is a list of popular holsters with prices and where to find some of them.

Also if your just looking for more general info check out Tinyurl.com/Opencarry-Wi for lots of informative info. Some is state specific, but much of it is general with lots of great videos etc. Both are linked below in my Signature.

JaredI

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys. I think based on reviews I'm going to go with the Glock Sport Combat holster. It's inexpensive enough to house my gun but it seems good enough for many to use indefinitely so I'm sure it'll be good enough, if for nothing else but to get used to carrying and determine what I want in the next holster.

As far as Bardstown, yes it's an oppressive little town with a moderately oppressive police force. I was at the gun show in Louisville on Feb 24 and talked to some fellas that were raffling an LC9 and they mentioned that Bardstown had three laws in violation of state law.

I don't want any trouble and I don't have deep pockets to get a lawyer on standby or take on the system. I just want means to defend myself and my family from all threatening critters both 2 legged and 4 legged. I actually live outside town in a rural area near Rooster Run but I work in Bardstown and am there every day.

I really appreciate all the input and I am lad to have found this board.

09jisaac

I would suggest something with a retention device. I OC with a fobus paddle holster because I got it before I even knew OC was an option but I would really rather have a retention holster. It is best to keep sharp but when you slip up it is good to have a safety net. The chances of someone going for your gun are slim to none, but it is possible.

Jbale22

I currently have Glock 27 that I OC but my next purchase will be a Glock 22. I have a Level 2 Retention holster and I love the break on it, it's an index finger break and puts your finger in a perfect position on the slide when drawn. I will be purchasing one for my future 22 as well. I bought it from CDNN and they are great to deal with. It's an Israeli made holster and by affordable but has held up great!

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl17resedeho.html

Carry on!!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I currently have Glock 27 that I OC but my next purchase will be a Glock 22. I have a Level 2 Retention holster and I love the break on it, it's an index finger break and puts your finger in a perfect position on the slide when drawn. I will be purchasing one for my future 22 as well. I bought it from CDNN and they are great to deal with. It's an Israeli made holster and by affordable but has held up great!

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl17resedeho.html

Carry on!!

If your holster has an open bottom you won't need to buy a different holster for a 22.
That's the great thing about glocks, a holster for a 22 for example will fit a 17,19,22,23,24,26,27,31,32,33,34,35,36.

Last edited:

Jbale22

That's actually what I thought as well, but before I got my 27 I was looking at a 23 and bought the same type of holster before I bought the gun, then decides on my 27. So I thought it would be fine and would fit the holster I had already bought but it didn't, I don't know if it was because of the release or if the dimensions were just a little off because the holster actually looks identical to an iTac retention holster and forms to the trigger guard so that could've been that too, but I don't know about other brands like Blackhawk! Etc.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If you bought a holster for a glock 23 it should have fit a glock 27 . They have the exact same dimensions, other than the slide is a little shorter and the grip, but that doesn't matter. The trigger guards are the same, the distance from the chamber to rear of slide is same, slide width is the same, distance from frOnt of trigger-guard to rear of slide is the same.... I have numerous holsters for all my guns, and a holster for a glock works for almost all my glocks, thTs why I only have to buy one holster for most of the glocks I carry. It's rather odd your's did not work. What brand is it?

Motofixxer

If your holster has an open bottom you won't need to buy a different holster for a 22.
That's the great thing about glocks, a holster for a 22 for example will fit a 17,19,22,23,24,26,27,31,32,33,34,35,36.

I thought the .45 models were all wider, hence not fitting the same holsters??? I can only comment on the 9mm and .40 working just fine. I agree...another great reason for glocks.

JaredI

All Glocks are the same size right around the area that the holster grabs. Excepting the 10mm and .45 models. Their slides are wider accommodating the required larger breach face and in the case of the 10mm the high pressure chamber. The barrels and slides are also longer than their 9mm/40S&W/357SIG counterparts at least for the full framed ones anyway I don't know about the compact and subcompacts.

At least this is what I have gleaned off the intarwebs.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I thought the .45 models were all wider, hence not fitting the same holsters??? I can only comment on the 9mm and .40 working just fine. I agree...another great reason for glocks.

You are correct. That is why you do not see a 10mm or 45 model stated in my post other than the single stack 36. The glock 20,29,30,and 21 will use the same holsters. the 36 uses the same holsters as a 22 or 23 or 17 or 19.......

Jbale22

@KYglockster, the one I have is the one linked a few comments up, I think it's an israeli made holster made by Target Sports which I believe is a break off company of the place that sells them(CDNN) honestly I have liked this holster much more than the Blackhawk Serpa and any leather rigs. But I think it looks almost identical to the iTac retention holster you're with the extra mag pouch. But I agree I thought it was really weird that my 27 wouldn't fit the 23 holster. It was almost like the 23 holster was too slim for the 27 which doesn't make sense because they are both .40.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You are right, they both have the same slide width. Just one of those problems with these machine manufactured products and not hand made. That's what I really love about leather, the fit is superb and I love the smell of opening the package on a new leather rig! If I wear a holster IWB, it must have a leather backside or I find it uncomfortable. If you ever start carrying IWB check out the comp-tac minatours. It's just like the galco king-tuk, but much higher quality. The kydex on the king tuk broke on both bolsters I had, and are being sent back, but the comp's are still working great. Excellent holsters!

Last edited: