• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone in West Haven have any permit issues?

KIX

Curious if anyone here is from West Haven and has had any permit issues.

Working on a project and am stuck on West Haven.

Jonathan

CTSurvivor

A few years ago, a few of us were harassed for concealed carrying.
We got pulled over for being on our motorcycles. We weren't to loud or a nuisance, it was just part of the motorcycle break down they called it. Apparently to many problems with people on motorcycles. :rolleyes:

IH8SPM

Curious if anyone here is from West Haven and has had any permit issues.

Working on a project and am stuck on West Haven.

Jonathan

Waiting on my permit since 2/15. Spoke to a recent permit holder and it took 2 months (8 weeks). 12/11-2/12

Last edited:

KIX

Thanx.

This is all for some proposed legislation going on at the capital and some work I'm doing there.

IH8SPM, how was your interview process? Were you asked for extra information and such?

Jonathan

IH8SPM

I applied on 2/15, its only been three weeks. My friends took almost two months.

They asked for 3 letters of reference non specific. A bill of some sort and basic identity info on a separate department made form. I would say other than the limited finger printing hours it was smooth for me. I have also sent for the Florida license forms as well since I travel there alot. Their license also has other travel value.

IH8SPM

Updated
1. 2/15 submitted paperwork to pd
2. 3/12 FBI received prints and sent back to PD on 3/13.
3. 3/15 SPBI received prints and processed??????

I know based on some missed deadlines I can appeal, but if the Pd issues the temp before the hearing I need to cancel my appeal. My question is why bother filing? Is there a record kept on filed appeals that get resolved? Other than securing a place in line what is the true benefit. Clearly the fbi has no backlog and spbi doesn't either. The real culprits are the local pd's. What can be done about the local towns dragging their feet without having them harass you afterwards.:cuss:

Rich thanks for your advice and Jonathan thanks for asking about WH. I will scan the additional requested items and email them to ya.

motoxmann

Updated

I know based on some missed deadlines I can appeal, but if the Pd issues the temp before the hearing I need to cancel my appeal. My question is why bother filing? Is there a record kept on filed appeals that get resolved? Other than securing a place in line what is the true benefit. Clearly the fbi has no backlog and spbi doesn't either. The real culprits are the local pd's. What can be done about the local towns dragging their feet without having them harass you afterwards.:cuss:

Rich thanks for your advice and Jonathan thanks for asking about WH. I will scan the additional requested items and email them to ya.

the timelines useable for an appeal are:
date fingerprinted and app submitted - date PD sends prints to SPBI (5 days max)
date SPBI sends your background check to PD - date PD calls you with approval/denial (1 week max)
date fingerprinted and app submitted - call/letter from PD of approval/denial or reason for delay (8 weeks max)

so the dates you listed above dont apply, there's no reason to be able to appeal yet. there is no timeline for how long before FBI gets your stuff
the in between parts: DPS processing prints and sending to FBI, fbi processing prints, DPS receiving background check from FBI and sending to PD. these things are not timelined, as long as the entire process takes 8 weeks or less

Last edited:

Rich B

Updated

If the National (FBI) background check was received back on 3/13 at the local PD, you should have an appeal in. Yes, if they issue the temp, you will need to withdraw your appeal. The only other question is whether you not only filed your appeal letter, but if you supplied the questionnaire you were supposed to fill out as well.

I don't understand where there is an issue from there. Not appealing is silly and foolish, people that advise you don't appeal don't understand the process.

motoxmann

this is the part that is confusing. the FBI doesnt send the results to the PD. The FBI sends the results to DPS, who then has to process it and then forward it on to the PD. isn't this where the 1080 backlog happened previously?
I think IH8SPM meant the FBI processed his prints and sent the results back to DPS on 3/13. which would mean it could still be a few weeks or more before the PD gets it, or they may have already gotten it. but the timeline for appeal is for 1 week from when the PD gets the results from DPS, no? hence why I was saying there's no grounds for appeal, yet. it's just an assumption though, interpreting what he posted

IH8SPM

April 15th is the my hopeful due date. I'll keep everyone posted. In the meantime I will send my Florida paper work out tomorrow. Chance are Florida's will be here first.

KIX

Yes.

SPBI sends fingerprints to FBI, FBI's automated system returns them to SPBI (usually within 48 hours), and SPBI sends them back to PD.

I think there is an option for some of the more "updated" towns to have the prints sent to them directly if they have a certain type of FBI connected printer.

Don't recall if I heard this at the Legislative Office Building last week or what.

Jonathan

IH8SPM

April 15th is the my hopeful due date. I'll keep everyone posted. In the meantime I will send my Florida paper work out tomorrow. Chance are Florida's will be here first.

Well no CT permit yet but Florida permit is almost back. I spoke to a very nice lady who told me to call her back on the 4/26 if it's not in my hand by then. She went on to say that would have been plenty of time to process. FYI Florida processed 50000++ permits last month. I also love the tracking number on the application.

KIX

Still going on, huh?

My initial request for North Haven was so I can let a representative know the problems his constituents were having.

Good news, we made it past that part. What happens now..... is still up in the air.

CT's legislative process is indeed not for the timid.

Good luck!

Jonathan

IH8SPM

To top it off another citizen from Trumbull already has their permit in hand. He apparently applied 2 weeks before me but he states it only took 6 weeks. Funny thing is in the almost 8 weeks I have been on this forum everyone who has complained has gotten theirs and signed off. I thought forums were supported by the members?

KIX

Some come and go. But there are "die hards" from various groups that will still be here and help/support.

Rich's "CT Carrry" is one.
My "ctpistolpermitissues.com" is another.

I can't speak for Rich's group, but I have volunteers throughout the state that have helped me get paperwork and research to help out.

There are plenty of us, just many aren't as verbal as some.

I'm NOT very good at biting my tongue.

Jonathan

IH8SPM

PHP:
To top it off another citizen from Trumbull already has their permit in hand. He apparently applied 2 weeks before me but he states it only took 6 weeks. Funny thing is in the almost 8 weeks I have been on this forum everyone who has complained has gotten theirs and signed off. I thought forums were supported by the members?

WELL today marks 8 weeks since I dropped off my application to be permitted to a right to carry. I called and some civilian informed me it could take a while even upto a year because the application goes to slot places. What bs. When I said I already called Middletown and the FBI she said to call back next week if I don't hear anything. I going to look at filing an appeal.
I guess west haven is part of the we don't know the states group. I was almost certain this was going to happen from the day I applied.