• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms in Schools

Ironbar

You're a little slow on the uptake Warren. SB 1594 was already defeated in the House last week. It's still legal for permit holders to carry concealed on school grounds.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I wonder if the concerned mother in the news story realizes that the only people that would be capable of ending a school shooting are teachers and administrators. Ironic that it was a Medford teacher that sued a few years ago to be able to conceal carry.

Meanwhile the Higher Board of Education "bans" firearms from campus "for safety": http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2012/03/oregon_state_board_of_higher_e_7.html

Guess I'll be open carrying on campus more often.

We-the-People

The Boards "ban" has no force of law. All they can do is use university sanctions against a person who has a "contractual relationship" with them.

If you are properly concealed (i.e. no one sees it) then there is nothing they can do. They can't search you, if they call the police what's the crime? The police are not there to enforce contract law.....oh darn.

On the other hand, anyone concealing on campus that does have a "contractual relationship" should be prepared to stand up for their rights (i.e. disallowing searches and such).

I'm very vocal and visible on campus about the second amendment. I wear my open and empty holster while handing out flyers and such to those who ask for them and taking every opportunity to write/talk about the legality of concealed carry on campus. Whenever I've been asked if I'm carrying I simply reply "I will neither confirm nor deny that I carry on campus". So far, none has had the cahones (sp) to press it beyond asking and attempting to intimidate me.

For those that are in school.....check your campus rules and regs. You're quite likely to find a section that says (paraphrased and basically) that NO ONE may touch another individual in an unwanted manner, and something along the lines of no force can be used..... and there is often no exception in those rules for the security officers. In fact, if your school has contracted security, it is most likely that the security company policy is STRICTLY to observe and report....NOT to get physically involved. They will attempt to intimidate you, make you think they have more authority than they do, etc., but security companies insurance policies are expensive and almost universally have restrictions like that. Just a little food for thought and a tool for your use as a student or visitor to the campuses of higher education facilities in the state of Oregon.

VW_Factor

You're a little slow on the uptake Warren. SB 1594 was already defeated in the House last week. It's still legal for permit holders to carry concealed on school grounds.

SB1594 has nothing to do with a 17 year old student bringing a stolen loaded weapon into a high school.

VW_Factor

Really? And here I thought Warren's post was about encouraging teachers to carry in schools. Silly me.

Maybe I should be more clear.

His post in general about the news story has nothing to do with SB1594.

His comments about encouraging teachers to carry, have nothing to do with SB1594.

You are attempting to ploy this thread into something political about a bill which is done and over with, simply to make a insulting poke towards a member who you have already shown animosity towards.

Troll elsewhere.

Ironbar

Gee VW, perhaps I should have been more clear:

Just have a news alert in Medford: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAm16...cbFAAAAAAAABAA

I can't say it honesty that SB 1594 has anything to do DIRECTLY with a kid carrying a gun into school, but it's certainly related to Warren's following statements.

We need to encourage our teachers to carry firearms to protect their students, we don't want them to be vulnerable for an attack.

Not sure I agree with this or not. Time will tell. And quite frankly I couldn't find recent information on the Medford teacher who sued to carry in the classroom, but it certainly IS salient to SB 1594.

This will also encourage firearms in schools for lawful citizens.

This tidbit is what I was truly referring to in the first place. SB 1594 was defeated, thus allowing concealed handgun license holders to still carry on school grounds.

I promised the mods I'd play nice, but I'll make an exception in your case VW: F*** off.

Warren Drouin

Going to be a little more clearer then before.

We should encourage Teachers to carry, even though they are legally allowed to with a CHL. Except, most or all schools have "employment policies" to ban firearms from employees (Teachers). To which, we should try to discourage Schools for banning firearms from Teachers by "employment policies". By encouraging more Teachers to possibly carry a firearm, will help to rid away possible paranoia of "guns kill people" into "bad people kill good people, not guns". Which then the teachers will stand up and ask the parents of the students to help their cause, by promoting self defense for Teachers to carry a firearm for the use of preventing massacres from "crazy killing murderers". This will increase more safety for the students and at the same time decrease paranoia of guns being in "public buildings", in return promote law-abiding citizens to carry for their self protection. This might also show to the younger-generation to have a firearms or any other tool for their protection, in which show an increase support of the 2cd amendment of US Constitution and Article 1 Section 27 of our Oregon Constitution. If more Teachers carry, then less paranoia for our next generation.

OH! and one more thing. I know that SB1574 (banning CHL holders from being on schools and school property) FAILED. I even called the 2 Democrats to show my appreciations for defending our Article 1 Section 27 of Oregon Constitution. :cool: