• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cruise Lines, Customs, etc......have questions

GONZO!!!

Hi Team...

I tried to do a search for this topic and couldnt find it. If there is an existing thread, please post it.

so, can anyone tell me if they have CC on a cruise line? Do they have metal detectors when you board or screening like they do at airports? Whta about at points of entry in island countries?

HYPOTHETCIALLY: I would like to do a week cruise with my wife around the Carribbean and wondered about "concealed carry" only. I had the thought of buying a "throw away" from some individual. I have traveled extensivley and I know that once you walk outside of the port docking area, some of the places can get rough, especially when it is evident that you are a tourist.

Anyone know of someone who has CC on a cruise line and disembarked and embarked and never had issues?

Just curious

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The first thought is that there are vanishingly few US flagged/registered ships.

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=luggage+restrictions#q-544510

said:
Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers
• Alcohol in unsealed containers
Firearms (Including, non-firing weapons and starter pistols)
• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (Including., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)
• Explosives or explosive component parts, (Including, detonators)
• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)
• Taser or electronic stun guns
• Pepper or mace sprays
• Telescopic or regular batons
• Martial arts equipment (Including., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)
• Handcuffs, brass knuckles
• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders
• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

[ ... ]

Last edited:

.45acp

You will be exiting the US when boarding the boat, in a US Customs secured area. When entering a foreign port, you are subject to the laws of that country.

As far as "picking up" a throw away from a stranger hanging around hustling tourists in a foreign port , I have to ask if you have just lost your mind?

I have been in over 40 countries and damn few have any sense of humor with a tourist carrying a firearm. There is more than one American hung up abroad
over illegally having a firearm.

My advice, take plenty of cash and leave it on the boat, you'll need it to buy your way out of the country, providing you get a corrupt cop, but he will probably be pals from the guy you buy the gun from and god help you if you wind up in jail.

Stanley

You will be exiting the US when boarding the boat, in a US Customs secured area. When entering a foreign port, you are subject to the laws of that country.

As far as "picking up" a throw away from a stranger hanging around hustling tourists in a foreign port , I have to ask if you have just lost your mind?

I have been in over 40 countries and damn few have any sense of humor with a tourist carrying a firearm. There is more than one American hung up abroad
over illegally having a firearm.

My advice, take plenty of cash and leave it on the boat, you'll need it to buy your way out of the country, providing you get a corrupt cop, but he will probably be pals from the guy you buy the gun from and god help you if you wind up in jail.

+1

Crazy talk...

GONZO!!!

you misunderstood...I would never buy a "throw away" from a local...I meant buy one here and take with me...again, my years traveling in the military and as a civilian has shown me what ports are truly like for the day tourists onceout of the touristy market areas. Of course it is understood that one is subject to the rules of whatever host country you are in (remember the american kid caned as punishment?) I have always carried a good blade with me, but wondered about cruise ship. The first poster was right of course, there are fewer and fewer american lines. DIdnt know if the rules aboard an american ship were the same or if anyone had any experience...BUt I was speaking ..um...hypothetically, of course.

so let's change the question...

so you are going on a cruise and possibly staying a few days here and there...knowing the poverty/crime stats of certain island countries, would you seriously "consider" attempting a CC for self and family protection? How about across the border in Mexico?

Mexico, almost 100% would find a way to CC. Thre are a lot more options for E&E and finding help than being stuck on a floating lillypad (my experience).

What would be your options?

GONZO!!!

Motofixxer

Yes there are metal detectors when you board at least at ports. Your belongings get run through an Xray machine. The cruise lines that I have seen, state specifically no firearms. They will enforce I'm sure. I have considered contacting and asking if they have some kind of lock boxes while your gone. But as for the foreign countries...you probably don't want to carry anything while there. It could suddenly get very complicated.

I have been on 2 cruises in the East and West Caribbean, and in many ports. I will also be taking another one soon. It is a bit unsettling, but you will have to be unarmed. The last one wouldn't even let me bring a large seashell back on board even though the locals said we could have them. Bottom line, you have to follow their rules, or don't set foot on their property.

Depending on where you are going you will likely be around others from your ship. There seems to be some camaraderie with the passengers. I was lightly harassed by a street peddler. That wouldn't take a polite no thanks for an answer. The third time I turned and firmly stated, "I said NO Thank You" He started following me and shouting rude things. We kept walking, the peddler finally gave up. There was a small group behind us that seen and heard everything. They said..."don't worry we had your back, we are from Chicago" LoL

Last edited:

GONZO!!!

MOTO...

thank you for the good info. SO it looks like even my combat folder stays home. Not real comfortable with that but it is what it is, I guess.

Thanks again...

GONZO!!!

Mas49.56

Hypothetically, a person could sign up for the Captains club upgrade.(around 300 bucks) This gets you a bunch of little perks. Hypothetically, one of these perks is your own 24/7 Concierge. Said Concierge can be called around 1am to bring a big old steak with a knife, hand delivered to your room. That person could take out a small perfectly legal whetstone and sharpen the knife up good. That person could then enjoy the shore day and ditch it before the detectors getting back on the boat. Hypothetically! i'm not suggesting anyone do this! Just an observation of the system.

MKEgal

I've had a similar question about domestic semi-public transit, Amtrak & Greyhound.

I know some train stations have airport-type "security", but since it's not at all stations the system isn't secure / safe... yet they insist on being told at least 24h ahead that you'll have a PPD and they store it in a locker in a non-public car of the train.

Do bus stations have the sheep-scanners?

How do I know that the people handling my baggage (for either business... or for that matter, a cruise or airline) aren't prohibited? If I were to pick up my bag in, say Chitcago or NYC, I would probably be arrested for possession, even before I opened the safe. So why isn't the baggage handler with a DV conviction arrested?

NoHadji

I have been on two cruises, and bro if you need a gun you are going on the wrong cruise!! Yes they have security on the ships, metal detectors and xray machines. Most foreign countries don't share our love of guns or the second ammendment. It's a battle you are not going to win.