• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Democrats make budget demands -- we should make ours

Repeater

Democrats list demands for Va. budget

In particular:
Others involve changes in policy, ranging from implementing an indexed gas tax to funding the cost of ultrasounds that would be required of women seeking abortions under a bill that McDonnell signed Wednesday.

"Either the state picks up the cost for this or you amend the ultrasound bill to require insurance companies to pay for it," the letter states.

"There must not be any regulatory language in the budget that dictates what kind of medical procedure a doctor will perform."

All right then, the state should pick up the full cost of background checks for firearm transfers. Fight back with our own demands.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Budget report from Senator Mark Obenshain:

Yesterday, after weeks of refusing to enter into specifics on the budget, Senate Democrats sent an open letter outlining fifteen demands as a prerequisite for their consideration of the budget.

I do stress consideration, since Senate Minority Leader Dick Saslaw is still playing coy. As reported in the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star, "Asked whether the list of budget demands is enough to get a positive budget vote, or whether Democrats are also asking for committee seats, Saslaw was noncommittal. 'Life is a negotiation, so we will see what we will see,' he said. 'But the bulk of this is going to have to get done.'"

So are Democrats backing off their decision to hold the budget hostage to their demands for more political power? That remains to be seen. Senator Saslaw has been in the Senate for 32 years, and he knows full well that the appropriate time for presenting these demands has long past. The Senate Finance Committee took up the budget in early February, but Senate Democrats were silent, holding out for committee assignments and nothing else.

As Governor McDonnell's spokesman Tucker Martin put it, "They burnt down the whole house and suddenly they're concerned about what happened to some of the furniture?" Still, I thought you might want to see just what they're demanding.

Therefore, my office has tallied up the Senate Democrats' budgetary demands, which would add about $489.1 million in new expenditures and create a $360.7 million budget gap. I'm sure that much more discussion of these matters will follow, but for now, I wanted to provide you with a "cheat sheet" to let you know what it is that Senate Democrats are demanding, and what it will cost. Click here to view my cheat sheet on the Democratic budget demands - and let me know what you think!

Senator Saslaw continues to show fiscal irresponsibility and a willness to hold the entire state hostage.

mk4

That morphs P4P. Sure, let's have the TAXPAYERS pay for the privilege.

Or, the G.A. can dispense with the licensing requirement altogether.

I like the idea. Aggressive.

THIS!
we've gotta keep up the fight for constitutional carry. 'sides... it'll keep va's brady score moving the right way!

Repeater

McEachin agrees with us! Fees are unfair!

Yes, finally, a left-wing Democrat agrees fees are unfunded mandates and are unfair:

Democrats call on state or insurers to pay for ultrasounds
Senate Democrats today sent a letter to Gov. Bob McDonnell urging him to back a budget modification to the pre-abortion ultrasound law that would require either the state or insurance companies to pick up the cost for the mandated imaging procedure.

The letter, sent by Democratic leaders Sen. A. Donald McEachin, D-Henrico, and Sen. Richarld L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax, argues, in part, that the law imposes an unfunded mandate on women seeking an abortion.

"Not only does this legislation seriously impinge on a doctor’s authority and undermines the doctor-patient relationship, it imposes, through government fiat, an unnecessary financial cost on women," states the letter.

It calls on the governor to "demonstrate leadership and to work with your Republican colleagues in the General Assembly to ensure that this financial coverage is part of any final budget."

Well, State-mandated background checks are also an "unfunded mandate" that imposes, through government fiat, an unnecessary financial cost on men and women alike seeking a firearm.

Maybe McDonnell should ask the Democrats to agree to abolish the $2.00 fee?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, finally, a left-wing Democrat agrees fees are unfunded mandates and are unfair:

Democrats call on state or insurers to pay for ultrasounds

Well, State-mandated background checks are also an "unfunded mandate" that imposes, through government fiat, an unnecessary financial cost on men and women alike seeking a firearm.

Maybe McDonnell should ask the Democrats to agree to abolish the $2.00 fee?

Constitutional Carry would do that quite nicely, thank you.