• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SMACKDOWN: Seattle appeal denied by WA Supremes; parks gun ban goes down!!!!

Dave Workman

SMACKDOWN: Gun rights prevail as WA Supremes deny Seattle’s appeal

The Washington State Supreme Court has unanimously rejected the City of Seattle’s request for review in its loss to the Bellevue-based Second Amendment Foundation and National Rifle Association in a case that struck down the city’s attempt to ban guns in city park facilities…

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...-prevail-as-wa-supremes-deny-seattle-s-appeal

oneeyeross

Well written, thank you, Dave.

Now if we can just get the rest of the state to fully understand what this TRULY means, we'll be getting some where.

Freedom First

Now that's a darned shame. And me feeling much safer with a sign telling the bad guys to leave their guns at home. Now I have to keep carrying this heavy .45 everywhere I go...

It's a rare good deal from the machine. Nice to see once in a while.

amlevin

So does this refusal to review mean that Seattle gets to write a check for SAF/NRA legal fees? If so they should get their name on a plaque somewhere honoring them as among the other morons that lost on the issue of gun control, in court.

GoGo is right, expect a full court press in the next legislative session, assuming they can get their @$$es out of the budget crack they've found themselves in. If they're still flubbering around, gun legislation will be the farthest thing from their minds (assuming there is more than one or two complete ones among them).

deanf

I see the whole thing, starting with the original park's ban, as a ruse. They knew they would loose, and they plan to somehow use the loss as evidence that preemption should be modified.

Dave_pro2a

I see the whole thing, starting with the original park's ban, as a ruse. They knew they would loose, and they plan to somehow use the loss as evidence that preemption should be modified.

Of course.

decklin

It's frustrating to see them repeatedly wasting tax payers money when there are legitimate issues to be tackled.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
It's frustrating to see them repeatedly wasting tax payers money when there are legitimate issues to be tackled.

The only monies actually being spent by the city are the fees they'll have to reimburse SAF and NRA for as well as the the cost of the original signs and the man hours to install and remove them. The cities legal work was a pro bono thing by one of the local law firms.

amlevin

Since preemption has been in place since 1983, does anyone know if any parts have been challenged over the last 29 years?

I don't see much success in any effort to change it. The argument against letting every city and county pass their own versions of gun restrictions would go against the original argument for the law. Much of the rhetoric by City leaders is probably more for the purpose of vote getting.

Don't think the Legislators haven't considered the growing number of CPL's issued and the increased number of firearms owned by individuals. They see these numbers as voters and just like any other dedicated group, more likely to vote than the average apathetic registered voter.

John Hardin

The cities legal work was a pro bono thing by one of the local law firms.

...which they probably intended as "advertising" and are now regretting. "You spent how much of the partnership's money on a case you knew was doomed?"

What was the firm's name, so that we can point at them and laugh?

MT4Runner

Checking in from Montana--congrats Seattle residents--this is great news!

Good luck keeping the pre-emption on the books in Olympia next session.