Thread: Springfield XD .45 ACP?

Springfield XD .45 ACP?

I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about it good or bad? Im looking to buy my first handgun when I get back to the United States in a few days and this caught my eye. Any help would be appreciated.

I got a XD40 Service for my first semi-auto about 10 months ago. Absolutely love it!!! They are cheaper than Glocks, but I feel just as reliable and strong. The grip angle isn't as extreme, so I have a much better natural point of aim compared to Glocks. I think they just look better overall, too. I do have to say that Glock does have more aftermarket parts and toys for 'em, but there's plenty for me. Since it's my primary EDC, I'm not concerned with that as much. Even if I was, I don't have money to buy the extras, so that doesn't really matter. I'd say go for it! I wouldn't trade my XD for anything. (except maybe a .50 Desert Eagle)
    Last edited by HighFlyingA380; 03-08-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Smith View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about it good or bad? Im looking to buy my first handgun when I get back to the United States in a few days and this caught my eye. Any help would be appreciated.
    I love my XD .45 Service model. Fits very nicely in my hand and I like the trigger. I can't say anything bad about it. I haven't had any FTEs, FTFs or any other failures at the range. I'm with HighFlying - I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Enough said. This was my first handgun purchase and I still love carrying it 15 guns later. Absolutely reliable. You will not go wrong with buying one!!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I have not shot the .45 version, but I really enjoyed the 9mm XD. I would probably get an XDM if I was going to pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulld View Post
    I have not shot the .45 version, but I really enjoyed the 9mm XD. I would probably get an XDM if I was going to pick one up.
    This. The XDm is truly worth the extra money. I shot for a while with the medium grip, did well. Changed to the smaller grip did better but less control for quick reacquiring target. Changed to large back strap and now it's sweet.

I bought myself a 1911 a little while ago, I shoot pretty well with it. Still love to shoot it. But after a few months I went back to my XDm, it just feels better to me.

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

I own an XD .45 tactical and it will probably be all I ever own. As stated the grip angle is a little better, in my opinion. The grip isn't as wide either, it's a good middle ground. I am a huge fan of the grip style safety and how effective it is and I have done a few short torture tests ( can't be to mean to my baby ) and it just keeps on performing

There's a little 5 round 45 XD coming out soon. Might make a good BUG to it's big brother.

Would say that the XDM .45 ACP is the way to go. Have carried a 4.5" and love it have put around 2k down range with it.

Can't add much more except +1.

Have carried my XD .45 for close to 2 years now, I shoot IDPA with it almost every month.

Reliable, accurate, powerful.

springfeil xd

i just bought the same gun so far i like it i would recommend it to you

taurus

i also love my 2inch concelled hamer taurus in 357 mag the only downside its a little hard to handle with full powerded 357 rounds

I bought a Glock 19 for concealed carry its a nice gun I love it.

Im looking for more of an open carry gun for the summer time.
    Something a bit bigger like a .45. Im thinking about going
    with a Springfield but im not to sure about the backstrap
    safety.

Im use to the Glock and love that theres no external safetys.

If Springfield had no external safety
    id get one for sure.

Id like to carry more than one brand of pistol,
    but not sure if I can get away from the Glocks.

If I can, im definently going with a Springfield next.
    Id rather look at my ugly Glock than shoot your fancy S&W.

I have a compact XD .45. LOVE IT.

I love me my XD...

Quote Originally Posted by GlockIt View Post
    I bought a Glock 19 for concealed carry its a nice gun I love it.

Im looking for more of an open carry gun for the summer time.
    Something a bit bigger like a .45. Im thinking about going
    with a Springfield but im not to sure about the backstrap
    safety.

Im use to the Glock and love that theres no external safetys.

If Springfield had no external safety
    id get one for sure.

Id like to carry more than one brand of pistol,
    but not sure if I can get away from the Glocks.

If I can, im definently going with a Springfield next.
    Do you hold the grip when you shoot? If so, you shouldn't have a problem. It is not an external 'safety' per se.

Last edited by XDFDE45; 03-11-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderjohn View Post
    Do you hold the grip when you shoot? If so, you shouldn't have a problem. It is not an external 'safety' per se.
    It is an external safety "per se". It is just an external safety you naturally disengage when you grip the pistol.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

I love my XD45. Straight out of the box hit everything I point it at, NEVER a problem !!!
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

I'm with everyone else who loves their XDm! I have the 40 sub-compact for carry. Never had any issues with it (FTF etc), easy to break down like a Glock, yet the grib, as mentioned, just feels more natural. I like the ability to change the grip as well. And with the extended mag, it feels just like a full size.

--
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

I love my XD9 4" Service model. I have shot the XD45 a good bit too. I only went with 9mm because it was my first handgun and I wanted to be able to afford shooting more.

You will not be disappointed.

I went to a range with a friend a few months ago and he rented a couple of handguns. The first one he tried was a Ruger. He liked that and then he tried the XD and wouldn't pick the Ruger up again. I let him try my 9mm and .45 XDMs and it wasn't easy to get them back from him. I really like both the XD and the XDM, although the grip on the XDM feels more comfortable for me.
    I liked that both of them were more accurate out of the box than I am. I know that sounds stupid, but I think anyone who has fired one will understand what I mean. Rent one, see how it shoots, go to Bass Pro and see how they feel in your hand and then shop around for the best deal. If you decide to buy one you won't be disappointed.