Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Rock Hiking Area Open Carry?

Red Rock Hiking Area Open Carry?

I haven't been to the Red Rock Hiking area. I want to visit it this trip. Are you allowed to Open Carry in that hiking area. I'm not familiar with who owns that property and what statute enforces it. I don't have a Nevada CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by crash5150 View Post
    I haven't been to the Red Rock Hiking area. I want to visit it this trip. Are you allowed to Open Carry in that hiking area. I'm not familiar with who owns that property and what statute enforces it. I don't have a Nevada CCW.

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area in Nevada is an area managed by the Bureau of Land Management as part of its National Landscape Conservation System, and protected as a National Conservation Area. It is located about 15 miles (24 km) west of Las Vegas, and easily seen from the Las Vegas Strip. The area is visited by over 1 million visitors each year.

AS it is Federal, it follows state law. I have carried there many times with no problem.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Thank you for your reply. I have been so some BLM locations that have no firearm posted signs. If there was one, would it even apply?

Thanks again. I OC when I'm in vegas but I know parks have different rules. Would probably be good to read the pamphlet again.

Quote Originally Posted by crash5150 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I have been so some BLM locations that have no firearm posted signs. If there was one, would it even apply?

Thanks again. I OC when I'm in vegas but I know parks have different rules. Would probably be good to read the pamphlet again.
    State and Federal parks you are good to go. Henderson and Boulder City parks are also good. You most likely will have problems in LV and NLV as they just don't think state law applies to them.

Make sure you don't go into buildings on Federal land where employees hang out.

TBG

I thought it was ok to carry in red rock. IT IS NOT. Red Rock has a special rules regulation that exempts it. here is the rules. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...up%20Rules.pdf

I also have emails from the BLM director stating that you may CC with permit or OC BUT it must be unloaded. The gun is ok to have. BUT IT MUST BE UNLOADED.

I will post the emails as soon as I can. Please understand this can get you in some real trouble. I think we may be able to fight it at some point but they do have special rules. This is not a situation that only applies to hunting.

Here is the thread from NV shooters. I posted my letters there on the 2nd page. With contact info.

1993? I don't think they can prohibit OC.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 03-08-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    1993? I don't think they can prohibit OC.
    You can open carry just not loaded. What does 1993 have to do with anything. This land does not fall under the national parks bill that was passed and it is not state land either. So they can have special rules.

That's pretty old since the State Parks regulatuions just changed due to preemption.

If it's BLM it should be federal or state land. That's odd.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 03-08-2012 at 08:21 PM.

That's pretty old since the State Parks regulatuions just changed due to preemption.

If it's BLM it should be federal or state land.

OK one more time. Red Rock IS NOT a state park. It is not a National Park. It is a special conservation area. And could care less about state preemption.

They ARE federal lands and they should care, I do.

Perhaps it's something that the citizens can change.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 03-08-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    ...[Red Rock] can have special rules.
    Has anyone actually been cited, or just hassled?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I do not know.It carries a hefty fine and jail time. Are you willing to be a test case? Because I am not. Contrary to being a test case for NLV or county parks because I think I would have good standing, I think in the case of red rock I would not.In the NV shooters thread there is contact info for the head BLM leo out here, so maybe you could get with him. he seemed very willing to answer my questions.

They ARE federal lands and they should care, I do.

Perhaps it's something that the citizens can change.
    Again state preemption has no effect on fed land, if that was the case we wouldnt have needed the fed parks bill to carry. And if you read my post you would have read that maybe we can work on changing this as citizens.

OK one more time. Red Rock IS NOT a state park. It is not a National Park. It is a special conservation area. And could care less about state preemption.
    This could make sense (in the wrong federal legal sense) because the law that put national parks and recreation areas into state laws were quite specific, enough to where they had to write another law to get the same provision for land controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers. I can see it being possible that a "special conservation area" may not have gotten included yet.

Though I do find it odd that they would allow UOC, if they were going to be anti-gun...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I do not know.It carries a hefty fine and jail time. Are you willing to be a test case? Because I am not. ...
    No, just asking the question.

But, IF (a big if) the facts all came to show that they were in clear violation of the law, I MIGHT...

But, IF (a big if) the facts all came to show that they were in clear violation of the law, I MIGHT...
    True. Yet it does seem to point to all the facts are on the feds side on this one.

A few of us might!

I have not been sited, hassled or othewise told I can't carry there and I have been in there numerous times. Stood and talked to the gal at the gate, and had a picnic with lots of people around.

TBG

I have, at least 25 times ridden up on my motorcycle OC, I am left handed so they notice. There used to be a sign saying NO FIREARMS it is gone, they used to not honor the NATL. park pass, they do now. never an issue not a problem, when i asked about the sign, the old dude at the gate said "thats fer huntin" I am not arguing with the law side of things, I am deposing my experiences

Yep I carried there alot myself. Since finding this out last fall though we have not been back. I think the reason we get away with it may be uninformed officers???

I normally take what a LEO says is law very lightly because most of the time they are wrong, in this case it looks like his email to me was correct. So if we think it has been out dated by the new fed park law we need some research I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    ...they used to not honor the NATL. park pass, they do now...
    That's good enough for me!

That's good enough for me!
    Not for me. I really think we need to follow this more closely. I am going to start digging around some more. Like I said the fine is big and so is the jail time.

Here is some info concerning the parks pass they accept. Fron the Red Rock site...Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area began collecting fees in 1998. America the Beautiful Pass, which replaced the National Parks Pass, Golden Age, Golden Access and Golden Eagle began sales in 2007.

So they started taking that before the park law went into effect.

Now about the pass from the NPS website. A pass is your ticket to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites. Each pass covers entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges as well as standard amenity fees at national forests and grasslands, and at lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation

Now we all know that some of those things can be off limits to carry such as Reclamation sites. So taking that pass does not seem to imply or mean that it follows the parks law.

Again the NPS law is very clear on carry so I think it is a stretch to apply it.

From the BLM main site. Bold is mine. I think this is where they get the authority. OK I dont know how to bold so I separated it out.

BLM policy is to allow the safe use of firearms on public lands for both hunting and shooting sports as provided for in state law, and to cooperate with state authorities in the enforcement of firearms regulations. Individuals have BLM's permission to possess and use legal firearms on BLM-administered public lands,

except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations.

Both hunting and shooting are specifically prohibited near developed recreation sites and administratively closed areas on the public lands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast