• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Red Rock Hiking Area Open Carry?

crash5150

I haven't been to the Red Rock Hiking area. I want to visit it this trip. Are you allowed to Open Carry in that hiking area. I'm not familiar with who owns that property and what statute enforces it. I don't have a Nevada CCW.

The Big Guy

I haven't been to the Red Rock Hiking area. I want to visit it this trip. Are you allowed to Open Carry in that hiking area. I'm not familiar with who owns that property and what statute enforces it. I don't have a Nevada CCW.

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area in Nevada is an area managed by the Bureau of Land Management as part of its National Landscape Conservation System, and protected as a National Conservation Area. It is located about 15 miles (24 km) west of Las Vegas, and easily seen from the Las Vegas Strip. The area is visited by over 1 million visitors each year.

AS it is Federal, it follows state law. I have carried there many times with no problem.

TBG

crash5150

Thank you for your reply. I have been so some BLM locations that have no firearm posted signs. If there was one, would it even apply?

Thanks again. I OC when I'm in vegas but I know parks have different rules. Would probably be good to read the pamphlet again.

The Big Guy

Thank you for your reply. I have been so some BLM locations that have no firearm posted signs. If there was one, would it even apply?

Thanks again. I OC when I'm in vegas but I know parks have different rules. Would probably be good to read the pamphlet again.

State and Federal parks you are good to go. Henderson and Boulder City parks are also good. You most likely will have problems in LV and NLV as they just don't think state law applies to them.

Make sure you don't go into buildings on Federal land where employees hang out.

TBG

Vegassteve

I thought it was ok to carry in red rock. IT IS NOT. Red Rock has a special rules regulation that exempts it. here is the rules. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...les.Par.11865.File.dat/Red Rock Sup Rules.pdf

I also have emails from the BLM director stating that you may CC with permit or OC BUT it must be unloaded. The gun is ok to have. BUT IT MUST BE UNLOADED.

I will post the emails as soon as I can. Please understand this can get you in some real trouble. I think we may be able to fight it at some point but they do have special rules. This is not a situation that only applies to hunting.

FallonJeeper

That's pretty old since the State Parks regulatuions just changed due to preemption.

If it's BLM it should be federal or state land. That's odd.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

That's pretty old since the State Parks regulatuions just changed due to preemption.

If it's BLM it should be federal or state land.

OK one more time. Red Rock IS NOT a state park. It is not a National Park. It is a special conservation area. And could care less about state preemption.

FallonJeeper

They ARE federal lands and they should care, I do.

Perhaps it's something that the citizens can change.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Has anyone actually been cited, or just hassled?

I do not know.It carries a hefty fine and jail time. Are you willing to be a test case? Because I am not. Contrary to being a test case for NLV or county parks because I think I would have good standing, I think in the case of red rock I would not.In the NV shooters thread there is contact info for the head BLM leo out here, so maybe you could get with him. he seemed very willing to answer my questions.

Vegassteve

They ARE federal lands and they should care, I do.

Perhaps it's something that the citizens can change.

Again state preemption has no effect on fed land, if that was the case we wouldnt have needed the fed parks bill to carry. And if you read my post you would have read that maybe we can work on changing this as citizens.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
OK one more time. Red Rock IS NOT a state park. It is not a National Park. It is a special conservation area. And could care less about state preemption.

This could make sense (in the wrong federal legal sense) because the law that put national parks and recreation areas into state laws were quite specific, enough to where they had to write another law to get the same provision for land controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers. I can see it being possible that a "special conservation area" may not have gotten included yet.

Though I do find it odd that they would allow UOC, if they were going to be anti-gun...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I do not know.It carries a hefty fine and jail time. Are you willing to be a test case? Because I am not. ...

No, just asking the question. :)

But, IF (a big if) the facts all came to show that they were in clear violation of the law, I MIGHT...

The Big Guy

Has anyone actually been cited, or just hassled?

I have not been sited, hassled or othewise told I can't carry there and I have been in there numerous times. Stood and talked to the gal at the gate, and had a picnic with lots of people around.

TBG

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I have, at least 25 times ridden up on my motorcycle OC, I am left handed so they notice. There used to be a sign saying NO FIREARMS it is gone, they used to not honor the NATL. park pass, they do now. never an issue not a problem, when i asked about the sign, the old dude at the gate said "thats fer huntin" I am not arguing with the law side of things, I am deposing my experiences