• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What should I do if.....

Steve Larson

Please forgive the length of this...I want to paint the whole picture, and show my mindset in different situations... This happened to me and my wife the last time we visited but I wasn't carrying

We were walking down a street in Las Vegas, minding our own business, well off of the strip, and a guy crossed the street with no apparent need to do so, other than to meet up with us...as he approached, (still about 50 feet away, but closing quickly) he reached into his shirt, in a motion that I took to be reaching for a knife (I have a lot of security experience/armored car experience so I am on "yellow" all of the time, and I notice things that many do not)... As I was not carrying, and we had no where to really go, I just looked him square in the eyes and made a motion as if to be reaching behind my back for a concealed gun, and he suddenly found a reason to go back to his own side of the street... I have no doubt that through this "feign" we avoided being robbed or worse....

So, now, I will be OC this month when I visit again, and I want to make sure I am not breaking any laws by using threatening gestures or whatever else....So, if this situation was to happen again, what do I do? When im in uniform, and working armored car, I know what I am allowed, but this is different now that I am just a citizen...
Do I bring attention to the fact that I am carrying and ready to go, by putting my hand on my gun, leaving it in holster until im absolutely convinced this guy has a weapon and is actively "pulling it" on us or is that illegal? Or do I turn slightly, allowing him full view of the fact that I have a gun, but keeping my hand on my belt, near my gun? Or, is there something else?

Thank you everyone here, you are most helpful with a newbie/Canadian...I am so glad I found this website and I look forward to helping your cause to exercise your 2nd amendment rights.

FallonJeeper

We always want to be go about our business without worrying about what the bad guy will/may do. You were not in a good place if you were off the strip. Trust me, I've been there, it not comfortable and will put you in condition 2 or 1 very quickly. You probably did what you could do. Changing directions, or crossing the street to where the suspected bad guy came from will be a true tell of his/her intentions. If they are really after you, they will adjust.

Now, with that said, being in that situation is never good. Hopefully you can resolve the issue without having to draw your weapon or fire. If you can't, you need to do what you need to do, and regardless of your actions, you may have to explain to law enforcement.

I'm sure if you find yourself in that situation again, this time OCing, there are plenty of arm chair quarterbacks here that would tell you how they would have done it, or how they handled it in the past. You really don't know what you're going to do, until it happens, even if you've practiced it, because every situation is different. You can do as I described above, change direction to throw the BG off. If that doesn't work, you escalate, however slightly. Make sure he see's your strong side, even if it means you stop turn with your strong side facing the BG and point or look at something. It doesn't have to be a real thing, just an act. Just so he see it. If that doesn't work, you escalate again, bringing your hand down near your weapon. Still no display of your weapon has occured, but you're ready. From here it depends on the BG, you can tell them to stop, tell them you are armed. Now you've given plenty of warning and shown that you are armed.

Keep a cool head and be observant.

I only hope you never have to escalate to drawing your weapon and shooting somebody. But we carry for self defense.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Here is one of the important laws that come into play here:
NRS 202.320 Drawing deadly weapon in threatening manner.
1. Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person having, carrying or procuring from another person any dirk, dirk-knife, sword, sword cane, pistol, gun or other deadly weapon, who, in the presence of two or more persons, draws or exhibits any of such deadly weapons in a rude, angry or threatening manner not in necessary self-defense, or who in any manner unlawfully uses that weapon in any fight or quarrel, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Last edited:

hazek

Man there was a link to a forum post on another forum by some LEO who wrote a really really good and long answer to what you're asking OP. I just can't find it right now.

hazek

Maybe someone else will know which post I have in mind and will link it to you.. I really tried hard to find, spent more than 30min on it lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are many ways of communicating your willingness to defend w/o offering a direct threat or brandishing.

Command voice, hand help up in universal stop gesture, blading your body, and yes fake ready to draw from where the gun is NOT.

There have been multiple incidences of using these last two in combination - extremely effective.

FallonJeeper

There are many ways of communicating your willingness to defend w/o offering a direct threat or brandishing.

Command voice, hand help up in universal stop gesture, blading your body, and yes fake ready to draw from where the gun is NOT.

There have been multiple incidences of using these last two in combination - extremely effective.

These may work, they may not.

Keep in mind you don't always have to shoot somebody in the process of defending yourself. And, I'm not saying to draw your weapon at the first sign of danger. But, if you wait until the second that you have to shoot, to draw your weapon and shoot, to defend yourself, you've waited too long.

The "Drawing deadly weapon in threatening manner" statute doesn't apply if it's in self defense. Drawing your weapon, in preparation to shoot, if necessary, is all part of self defense.

Last edited: