• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Giving SS# to NM LEO's

MarkD51

Hope this topic is suitable for posting here?

Sitting here at home often, I'll listen to the scanner on my puter, hearing LEO's rattling off citizen's Social Security Numbers to their base after they encounter them.

I imagine agencies like this, because its ease of identification, and to check any criminal background nationally, besides statewide-locally.

Is this legal in the state of NM? Do you have to relinquish your SS# to LEOs?

I of course never carry mine, and the excuse I'll be using should I ever be stopped here, and asked, is I don't carry it, and I don't offhand remember it, I reckon is the best excuse without being offensive.

Can anyone provide a link to an ordinance of such? Thanks, Mark

PS: as I understand it, the DMV requests this information when applying for a license, correct? Isn't the SS# then perhaps on the card in the form of a magnetic strip that they can just simply scan?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Isn't it against Federal Law to require SSN for identification? Not that it doesn't happen everyday...

Fallschirjmäger

What's wrong with, "Sorry, Officer Friendly, I can't seem to remember mine; I've always been horrible with numbers"?
Only tangentially related, Georgia doesn't use SSN on the driving license, but the DL number has the same number of digits and would probably be said the same way as a SSN.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Supermoderator Mike knows this stuff really well.

I have this vague recollection that it is actually a violation of federal law to demand an SSN without citing the legal authority and describing what the SSN will be used for.

To read it out over the air for anybody with a scanner to copy down and misuse strikes me as a serious violation of personal security by police. I wonder how often the police receive an SSN consensually vs a demand.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Supermoderator Mike knows this stuff really well.

I have this vague recollection that it is actually a violation of federal law to demand an SSN without citing the legal authority and describing what the SSN will be used for.

To read it out over the air for anybody with a scanner to copy down and misuse strikes me as a serious violation of personal security by police. I wonder how often the police receive an SSN consensually vs a demand.

ESPECIALLY, since so many times the SSN is recited along with the NAME AND DOB!

AH.74

I would never give my SS# to an officer out in the field. I don't see any reason why it would be necessary especially if I have a valid form of ID.

I transferred my DL from another state so don't specifically recall if my SS# is associated with it, but I tend to think not.

On the other hand, NM's CC licenses certainly do have it associated.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
There is no circumstance under which you are required to disclose your SS# to any officer in the field.

If asked for it, the polite answer is simply "Officer, you are not authorized to ask for Social Security numbers under Section 7 of the Federal Privacy act and I refuse to disclose that information."

http://www.justice.gov/opcl/1974ssnu.htm

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER USAGE
Section 7 of the Privacy Act (found at 5 U.S.C. § 552a note (Disclosure of Social Security Number)) provides that:

"It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual's refusal to disclose his social security account number." Sec. 7(a)(1).

Steve Aikens