• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Everyone on here is going to jail!!

10-79

...According to Pearl River County SO that is. So, this happened a bit back, but just getting around to posting. Day after Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday if you will, my gal and I were driving back from New Orleans on our way back on up to these parts via 59. We had just crossed back into MS from Louisiana and just a few miles shy of Picayune when I got pulled over by the aforementioned. Mind you, I wasn't speeding, wasn't driving recklessly, just me, minding my b... As I come to a stop on the shoulder, told my girlfriend to get ready for the full song and dance of being pulled out the truck and possibly searched. So, he comes to the truck, I hand him insurance card, DL, and FP, but still isn't clicking with this winner. I then proceed to inform him "Officer, I'm a State of MS licensed carry conceal." Then comes the routine:

"Where is it?"

"Right hip"

"Step out of the truck for me, please"

I step out and raise my right arm for him, make his job a little easier. I spot him being pretty careless with my firearm, going as far as pointing the barrel in his own face while trying to locate the serial where comes this gem of info:

"Umm, officer? There is one in the chamber and no safety on that gun."

(Removes mag, clears chamber, gets serial)

"You know, you really shouldn't be carrying a firearm on your hip like that. It is illegal in Mississippi."

"Oh really?"

(As if the doubt wasn't removed already by his death wish previously mentioned, it surely was confirmed at this point. His partner comes out of the squad car, removes my girlfriend from passenger seat as it's now becoming such an entailed stop at this point." Brings her around to back of my truck, dialog continues)

"The law in Mississippi only covers residents who have their firearms in their vehicles, when you step out like you just did, you are in violation of the law and I can take you to jail right now for doing so."

"Well, do what you have to, but my permit says differently."

(Looking at me blankly, talks to his partner, partner then chimes in.)

"You did it correctly, announced you had a firearm and presented your permit"

In what appeared to be an effort to save face, the first officer then gives me a long speech on why I shouldn't be carrying a gun anyways and how it becomes such a major offense if it were to flash for even a second if my clothing uncovered it at any point. Just shook my head, said "Thank you, have a nice day" and went on my way. Just a warning guys, if you carry a gun into Pearl River County, those geniuses might be inclined to lock you up! (Permit not withstanding)

<Still shaking my head>

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
/shakes head

good lord talk about the officer was not liking the fact he was proven wrong. So he had to pull out why he doesn't like the fact your carrying. Also when he stated I can arrest you for having your firearm outside your vehicle in Mississippi, he requested you to step out of the vehicle and you warned him before hand you had a firearm on your hip. The video tape in his squad would make a judge ask the officer, did you listen at the academy, or are you just plain stupid?

10-79

Nope! Not even once did he say why I was pulled over! I was doing about 60, though the speed limit was 70. Was stuck behind a semi in the left lane, couldn't get back into the right, more semis were merging into it from the weigh station ahead.

DCKilla

There is no need for a firearms permit in your car or to notify the LEO that you had a pistol. I can't stand cops who think that way. Calling you out to catch you in some kind of trap, what a POS.

Daylen

"You know, you really shouldn't be carrying a firearm on your hip like that. It is illegal in Mississippi."

"Oh really?"

"The law in Mississippi only covers residents who have their firearms in their vehicles, when you step out like you just did, you are in violation of the law and I can take you to jail right now for doing so."

"You did it correctly, announced you had a firearm and presented your permit"...

You're both wrong. The CONSTITUTION of Mississippi says otherwise. Your permit specifically avoids the topic of open carry as it would be unconstitutional for it to cover such.

Concealed carry is the only thing allowed in the vehicle but illegal once out of the vehicle (as concealing a weapon when afoot is a crime that is allowed with a license).

Funny how its "illegal", but he only wanted to berate you for it eh?

Last edited:

Daylen

Nope! Not even once did he say why I was pulled over! I was doing about 60, though the speed limit was 70. Was stuck behind a semi in the left lane, couldn't get back into the right, more semis were merging into it from the weigh station ahead.

So why did you notify him of anything before establishing what he pulled you over for, and if it was even a legal stop?

georg jetson

So why did you notify him of anything before establishing what he pulled you over for, and if it was even a legal stop?

How about this... Why did you notify him of anything PERIOD?

I've driven the I-59 corridor between Louisiana and Hattiesburg at least 4 times a year for the last 7 years. I've been pulled over once for speeding and did not disclose that my firearm was in a holster under my seat. The stop was quick and uneventful(except for the ticket). There's no requirement to disclose the possession of a firearm in a car in either state unless the firearm is being carried pursuant to the permit. By notifying, you put yourself in the position you described. Control the things you can control thus limiting the officer's options.

DCKilla

I've driven the I-59 corridor between Louisiana and Hattiesburg at least 4 times a year for the last 7 years. I've been pulled over once for speeding and did not disclose that my firearm was in a holster under my seat. The stop was quick and uneventful(except for the ticket). There's no requirement to disclose the possession of a firearm in a car in either state unless the firearm is being carried pursuant to the permit. By notifying, you put yourself in the position you described. Control the things you can control thus limiting the officer's options.
+1, Every time somebody annouces they have a firearm, it presses forward the mind set that officers need to know what you have for their "safety". In doing so, this has possibly set back the forward progress of securing yours and others' rights to privacy.

10-79

Hmmm, let's see, I've been pulled over three times whilst carrying. I have announced I was carrying all three times. I have been let go without a ticket or written warning all three times after doing so.

georg jetson

Hmmm, let's see, I've been pulled over three times whilst carrying. I have announced I was carrying all three times. I have been let go without a ticket or written warning all three times after doing so.

So... the lesson here is never carry in a car according to the requirements of a permit and there will never be a reason to notify. Thus, keeping your contact time with LEOs to a minimum.

Thanks for sharing your encounter.

bigz

Concealed carry is the only thing allowed in the vehicle but illegal once out of the vehicle (as concealing a weapon when afoot is a crime that is allowed with a license).

so your saying open carry is illeagle in your vehicle in mississippi?? if i understand your statement correctly that is not true

Daylen

so your saying open carry is illeagle in your vehicle in mississippi?? if i understand your statement correctly that is not true

That is not what I'm saying! Open carry is specifically protected by the MS constitution. It doesn't matter where you OC, no law can regulate nor prohibit it.

I'm trying to show a distinction. It was said previously that the officer said the carrier violated the law by stepping out of the vehicle with the pistol showing.

OC in MS is, by the constitution, legal and beyond the power of the legislature to regulate and/or prohibit, be it in a vehicle, on private land, on public land, while doing headstands, on a plane, in a boat etc; all are legal as all can not be made illegal.

CC in MS is, by the constitution, under the power of the legislature to regulate and/or prohibit. By the code of MS CC is illegal, one exception is if the weapon is in a vehicle. Another exception is if the person has a license and the weapon is a pistol or revolver.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

I'd contact the superiors at the dept. to make sure they inform their officers OC is legal in Mississippi.

sawah

OMG, can you imagine the furor if he'd have shot -himself- in the face with your naughty, naughty chambered unsaftied "weapon"? There'd been a hue and cry for...oh, IDK, smarter cops? Guns with soft rubber bullets? Safeties on people's brains? /snark

MKEgal

Hey, at least it would have been on dash cam,
including the OP warning the LEO about the condition of the pistol he'd just illegally obtained.
Not his problem if said officer is stupid or suicidal.
(And IMO he'd have to be at least one of those to have pointed the muzzle at himself.)

ETA... The thought occurs to me that maybe putting the serial # on the front end of the slide would be a good thing. It might deter some of the smarter cops from illegal searches (a.k.a. running the serial # w/ no RAS).

Last edited:

Potent Dagger

I am an Alabama resident, and a former LEO. I have a CCW permit that has reciprosity with Mississippi. I am also a member of the Pascagoula Gun club and travel there at least 2 times a month to shoot.

I also travel I-10 frequently and have long notoiced what appears to be a substantial number of LEO's crusing between Bioloxi and the LA state line. I assume that this is part of the High Intensity Drug Trafficing Area enforcement effort.

My question is this, what was the reason for you being pulled over? You were not speeding, you were not weaving, you were not driving in an agressive manner, so what was the basis for the stop?

This sounds to me to be a situation where you got profiled for one reason or another, as perhaps being a drug runner, but even if I strap on my "LEO Helmet", I am not real clear on why you were stopped.

Last time I checked, a police officer does have to have a valid reason to stop someone, you know, that whole Terry v. Ohio thingy,,,,,and a little Constitutional standard called reasonable suspicion.

Now I have a couple of questions:

What is the law in Mississippi on OC?

If I am stopped, except out of courtesy, do I have a legal obligation to infrom under Mississippi law?

Where is OC legal, and aside from "places of public nusense" is there anywhere else that will get you into trouble?

Based on this post,,,,if I was stopped in Pearl River County, the first words out of my mouth is going to be "Officer may I ask why I am being stopped",,,,,,and he better have a good reason or he can stand on the side of the road, and wave good bye.

...According to Pearl River County SO that is. So, this happened a bit back, but just getting around to posting. Day after Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday if you will, my gal and I were driving back from New Orleans on our way back on up to these parts via 59. We had just crossed back into MS from Louisiana and just a few miles shy of Picayune when I got pulled over by the aforementioned. Mind you, I wasn't speeding, wasn't driving recklessly, just me, minding my b... As I come to a stop on the shoulder, told my girlfriend to get ready for the full song and dance of being pulled out the truck and possibly searched. So, he comes to the truck, I hand him insurance card, DL, and FP, but still isn't clicking with this winner. I then proceed to inform him "Officer, I'm a State of MS licensed carry conceal." Then comes the routine:

"Where is it?"

"Right hip"

"Step out of the truck for me, please"

I step out and raise my right arm for him, make his job a little easier. I spot him being pretty careless with my firearm, going as far as pointing the barrel in his own face while trying to locate the serial where comes this gem of info:

"Umm, officer? There is one in the chamber and no safety on that gun."

(Removes mag, clears chamber, gets serial)

"Oh really?"

(As if the doubt wasn't removed already by his death wish previously mentioned, it surely was confirmed at this point. His partner comes out of the squad car, removes my girlfriend from passenger seat as it's now becoming such an entailed stop at this point." Brings her around to back of my truck, dialog continues)

"You did it correctly, announced you had a firearm and presented your permit"

In what appeared to be an effort to save face, the first officer then gives me a long speech on why I shouldn't be carrying a gun anyways and how it becomes such a major offense if it were to flash for even a second if my clothing uncovered it at any point. Just shook my head, said "Thank you, have a nice day" and went on my way. Just a warning guys, if you carry a gun into Pearl River County, those geniuses might be inclined to lock you up! (Permit not withstanding)

<Still shaking my head>

Eeyore

If I am stopped, except out of courtesy, do I have a legal obligation to infrom under Mississippi law?

Where is OC legal, and aside from "places of public nusense" is there anywhere else that will get you into trouble?

Start here: http://www.opencarry.org/ms.html

Last edited:

Daylen

Based on this post,,,,if I was stopped in Pearl River County, the first words out of my mouth is going to be "Officer may I ask why I am being stopped",,,,,,and he better have a good reason or he can stand on the side of the road, and wave good bye.

See the sticky just for this purpose: http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97455-Open-Carry-in-Mississippi-The-Law

The short version (read at your own risk):
The MS Constitution specifically prohibits regulation and prohibition of the right to bear arms except in the case of CC, so OC needs nothing but a pulse. There is no requirement to notify, just to have the permit if you are CC on foot while not on your property.

Our thoughts are in alignment as to the proper response to a stop. With no reason for the stop there is no reason for me to comply or stay.