• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB problems?

SovereignAxe

I wouldn't do it simply because most IWB holsters don't have any sort of active retention. The one I have is just a simple open top suede holster with a kydex clip for my belt. But if your flavor of IWB holster has a thumb break or something like that, I think it would be satisfactory-if a little more uncomfortable than OWB

edit: we may also want to move this thread to the holster & accessories forum.

Last edited:

Greg Bradburn

I have never had issues personally although some cop on a power trip might try to charge you with carrying concealed (should be easy to beat since would have to have seen it which means it wasn't concealed, could be a hassle none-the-less.

My biggest concern and the reason I don't open carry with my Crossbreek Supertuck IWB is that is has no retention. For OC I use my Serpa Blackhawk with level-2 retention.

FOSJosh

I apologize sovereign for not being specific. I was asking if anybody has ever had issues from the law enforcement in any form. Like in a scenario Greg is speaking of.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Open carry is a constitutionally protected right in Ky, why try and push the issue? There is no need to have half of your firearm hidden by your pants. Buy a blackhawk serpa or a good leather rig with a thumb-break and carry proudly. There is no need for you to chance getting charged for carrying a concealed weapon. Doing so could cost you your freedom for a few days or longer and a great deal of money obtaining a lawyer and fighting the charges. Until you obtain your cdwl, keep your firearm in plain view and you will be fine! Make sure you know the law and case law on OC in Ky, and carry on!!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Please remember this is an INTERNET forum, and to not take everything you hear as law or truth. Just because one person gets by without problems, doesn't mean you will. If you wind up in cuffs and try telling the officer the guys on the Internet said it would be fine, your still going to jail. I know to well how certain LEOs can be, and a great many of them do not like that we can carry a firearm. They believe they are above us, and can arrest and let the prosecutor decide to charge you.

hotrod

Please remember this is an INTERNET forum, and to not take everything you hear as law or truth. Just because one person gets by without problems, doesn't mean you will. If you wind up in cuffs and try telling the officer the guys on the Internet said it would be fine, your still going to jail. I know to well how certain LEOs can be, and a great many of them do not like that we can carry a firearm. They believe they are above us, and can arrest and let the prosecutor decide to charge you.

You are right, this is an internet forum. What we do is give our experience to others so that they may develop their own opinions. You are also correct , you can be arrested for anything, including carrying a handgun in an OWB holster. If anyone can find an arrest or conviction for concealed carry with an IWB holster, please post it.

FOSJosh

I will ask my lawyer friend tomorrow and see what he thinks about the situation. Its not a major deal personally I can buy a owb, but I am curious about situation.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
everyone is correct. I will repeat a part of my first post,"why push the issue?" OWB is much more comfortable to me than IWB, and if your "odds" go from 1 in 1,000,000 for OWB to 1 in 500,000 for IWB, that is a pretty large difference. I would not want to be the one who has to dish out thousands of dollars to decide if IWB is considered open or concealed carry. In my opinion it would be open, because part of the firearm is visible. But again I wouldn't want to spend the money to find out, when I could spend 30 or 40 bucks on a OWB and not have t worry about whether my choice of carry style is considered open or concealed. I dont care if you tuck your gun in your waistband and cover it with your shirt, that would be your choice, and you should be allowed. Just remember it only takes one time to lose a lot. Sure you risk being "arrested" everytime you carry a firearm without a permit, however being "charged" while carrying your firearm in plain view probably wont happen. They would have nothing to charge you with, and they would know it, however if part of your firearm is concealed, then the prosecutor "could" think he would win, and might charge you. And he would have a charge to throw at you, carrying a concealed deadly weapon. I'm done, it's your life and freedom, do what you wish.

KBCraig

I carry IWB alot. The same amount of my weapon shows whether it is OWB or IWB. OWB you just see the holster. I have never had a problem.
The only way I can see it being a problem, is when a ninny reports that you just had it "shoved in his pants", half hidden. They don't know there's just as much holster as if it was OWB.

There's also the perception and PR problem. We tell people that honest people wear their guns openly, but to the uninformed, IWB carry looks exactly like thug carry.

KYKevin

The only way I can see it being a problem, is when a ninny reports that you just had it "shoved in his pants", half hidden. They don't know there's just as much holster as if it was OWB.

There's also the perception and PR problem. We tell people that honest people wear their guns openly, but to the uninformed, IWB carry looks exactly like thug carry.

Most thugs carry concealed. IWB looks like IWB to me. You can see over an inch of my holster with my firearm. I have friends who are leos and they have no issue with the way that I carry. Heck I carry iwb in walmart and other stores and I don't even get a second glance from people. Most people in Kentucky know open carry is legal. So people rarely call in a MWAG. Only in places like louisville do a few people get hassled. In my opinion I don't think how you carry has ever really been a issue here except to people new to oc and want to know. When I IWB it is usually places a bit more formal like a funeral home or something. I do feel better OWB. But how I carry depends on the situation. Kentucky is a wonderful place to oc.

Thug I think is a perception. Every time I have seen someone oc IWB I have never thought thug. Most people just think detective and go on about their business here. Again it is perception. And I don't live in fear of others perception of something.

P.S. On the lawyer issue. No I am not a lawyer. But I am 50 years old and have some common sense on issues and don't feel I need to call a lawyer on everything. I don't live in fear that a cop is going to stop and hassle me. I don't carry a recorder. I have a couple of local friends who are cops and they ones I don't know have always been courteous when I have talked to them, and never have I even been asked about my weapon. :)