• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

European Policy in 'Outer Space'.

Beretta92FSLady

"But instead of advancing American primacy in this realm, the Obama administration has wrongly decided not only to follow a European Union draft “code of conduct” regulating outer space, but also to circumvent the Senate’s central constitutional role in making treaties.

The Obama administration recently declared that America would follow, though not sign, a European Union code of conduct for outer space — a transparent end run around the constitutional requirement that the Senate ratify all treaties. This code, drafted by Europeans who do not bear America’s global responsibilities, restricts military activities in space as well as some peaceful dual-use technologies, like the multistage rockets used to launch commercial satellites."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/opinion/hands-off-the-heavens.html

Is President Obama engaged in a not-Constitutional act? I say that he isn't because he is merely emulating European policy, not mandating.

Now something gets the little hamster in my head running on the rusty wheel: When does policy become a mandate?--five years; ten years; twenty years?

Can a policy circumvent the Constitution, even though it may not be Constitutional, simply by having the policy?--that is, until it sees the Bench!

Last edited:

Daylen

I would never!

Just curious how people feel about policy basically becoming a type of law if it is policy long enough.

Right :rolleyes:

Policy doesn't become law just from being done for a long time. It just means people don't want to change it. All it takes is a change in presidents to change such a thing and its limited to the Presidents discretionary powers. I don't see any big deal here other than more anti-American policies by our President.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This is the most UN-constitutional president we have ever had. He is a disgrace to the American country and deserves to be impeached and prosecuted. A bill has been introduced in the house to start impeachment proceedings over his unconstitutional acts of war in Lybia and now possibly Syria. The house must recommend impeachment where it goes to the senate to determine the final act. If the democrats don't want to lose control of the senate, (which I say they will), they would vote for impeachment!!

When our president calls congress "ceremonial," and says our constitutional rights and the limits placed on federal government through the very same document don't matter, and that "INTERNATIONAL" authority exceeds that of congress, then he should have been impeached months ago!!! Anyone that believes the hope and change message must be living under a rock! This man is blatantly trying to destroy this country, or I should say whoever pulls his strings and makes him work is destroying this country through him! My poor little girls are going to be left with no rights, no country, and under complete government control because of this man. Look at out national debt since he has taken office! Try adding the debt of every president from Washington to Clinton. Now compare that to the debt obummer has accumulated!!! Pretty astonishing huh? We are accumulating over 150,000,000 dollars of debt every hour, and are working over a TRILLION dollar deficit!! The liberals do what they do best and blame republicans, however they were in control of the senate, the house, and the white house until the beginning of 2011. I'm not necessarily a fan of either party, because the republicans have helped pass some serious laws this past year that erode our rights, but if they didn't get control of the house, we would be much worse off right now, if we could get any worse. Someone had to inform the democrats that they can't keep spending our money on things that are destroying this country, and that there is a document called the constitution!!

j4l

Obama working in some way against the constitution? When does he not do so on a regular basis? lol
Nothing new there, at all...

As to such a treaty regarding space...a non-issue really, but.. easily changed by the next Dictator to sit in his seat...
As for Europe... they can just get stuffed all-around..
As for Europe "regulating" anything to do with space? When they put some of their own boots on the surface of the moon, they'll have earned a place to have a say in things, until they do...they can sit on a rocket and spin...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, I wouldn't get too upset, fellas. Obama pretty much lies every other time he opens his mouth.

Remember him signing the infamous NDAA with its clause about indefinitely detaining citizens declared terrorists by the executive branch? He said he'd never use that against an American citizen. (wink, wink)

So, who the hell believes him when he says his policy in space will follow the European model? I'll bet the Europeans don't.

I wouldn't lose any sleep on this one. He's probably lying.

Gil223

Is President Obama engaged in a not-Constitutional act? I say that he isn't because he is merely emulating European policy, not mandating.

Obama IS a non-Constitutional act. He is the main "domestic threat" to the American culture. Some folks want to excuse his "mistakes" due to his inexperience, yet they are the same folks who put him in office without him having any real experience. Obama is making very few "mistakes"... he knows exactly what he is doing, and for whom he is doing it. Here's a hint - it is not safeguarding the interests of the citizens of United States of America. He bypasses Congress every time he gets the opportunity, and by not signing onto this European space crap he can obligate us (for the duration of his term, anyway) to follow the EU's rules without the approval of Congress because it is technically NOT a "treaty". What a wonderful leader! :p Pax...