Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just curious... your thoughts on Glock Pistols

Just curious... your thoughts on Glock Pistols

People mention to me when they either see me carry, or know that I carry a Glock that I should get a different sidearm. They always begin with it being the world’s most dangerous gun. I simply respond with it being known as one of the most reliable guns available. And that I trust my life to my Glock. I have shot several other handguns, including revolvers and just prefer my glock. I am not trying to start a debate on who has the bigger gun or anything lol. I am just seeing what others opinions are on Glock Pistols. And in general what you carry, and why you prefer what you carry.

Carry On!
    Glock214
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Banned
    There really isnt anything wrong with a glock. they are great guns.

Some guns fit different people differently. For me, if I close my eyes, start a low ready, then present the weapon, I will open my eyes, and the muzzle will be a few degrees up from what it should be. If I do this with a 1911, an XD, or an M&P for example, the sight picture will be lined up properly.

If the gun fits you naturally, and you're comfortable drawing and firing it, then stick with it.

There is a glock/XD rivalry, but its no different than two high schools football teams from the same town. Other people like metal guns, and still others think that revolvers are the way to go. I consider a revolver to be quaint, antiquated, and lacking in capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ
    Last edited by stainless1911; 03-10-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    There really isnt anything wrong with a glock. they are great guns.

Some guns fit different people differently. For me, if I close my eyes, start a low ready, then present the weapon, I will open my eyes, and the gun will be a few degrees up from what it should be. If I do this with a 1911, an XD, or an M&P for example, the sight picture will be lined up properly.

If the gun fits you naturally, and you're comfortable drawing and firing it, then stick with it.

There is a glock/XD rivalry, but its no different than two high schools football teams from the same town. Other people like metal guns, and still others think that revolvers are the way to go. I consider a revolver to be quaint, antiquated, and lacking in capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ
    I've actually never fired a 1911, or an XD. A friend of mine has an XD and always says I should get a grown up gun lol. But yet... he never gives me why he feels that his firearm is superior than any other firearm. I have gotten so used to using Glocks, that I have yet to pick one up and not feel comfortable. I like the light frames, and no safeties, I would hate to have to toggle a switch in the event I need to draw. I am open to trying new firearms for range use, and maybe someday everyday carry. What do you carry daily stainless? You know i always carry my G23 gen 4. along with two spare mags. People tell me that is overkill. I say that's being ready for a gunfight if it ever came to that. And sometimes, honestly...I think about carrying a few more mags, but the weight drives me crazy. I need an actual gun belt, current one I'm afraid won't last to many more months. But I can't find any gunbelts that don't look like they belong on the range. And I want it to blend in and look like a regular belt, or as close as possible to one.

Glock214
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    People mention to me when they either see me carry, or know that I carry a Glock that I should get a different sidearm. They always begin with it being the world’s most dangerous gun. I simply respond with it being known as one of the most reliable guns available. And that I trust my life to my Glock. I have shot several other handguns, including revolvers and just prefer my glock. I am not trying to start a debate on who has the bigger gun or anything lol. I am just seeing what others opinions are on Glock Pistols. And in general what you carry, and why you prefer what you carry.

Carry On!
    Glock214
    I own 3 pistols. Glock 22, Springfield XDm 3.8c 40, and a Sig 238 (this gun kinda isn't in the same category). Glock 22 is my favorite by far. I absolutely love Glocks. They're not expensive, have good capacity, reliable, good trigger. It kind of makes me laugh when I tell people it's a Glock and you get the "my god" reaction. I think it's because so many rappers and the media say "Glock" even if it's a Ruger or something. Plus if you're someone who carries two guns of the same caliber (ex. G22 and G27) your Glock 22 mags will work in the G27. Assuming you have 15+1 in your G22, 9+1 in your G27, and 2 extra 15 round mags (which come with the Glock!) that's 56 rounds of ammo. And if your G22 for, whatever reason isn't working, you have that BUG that your spare mags can take. It's just a great set up.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Banned
    I carried an XD for a couple years, and absolutely adored that little gun. Now, I am the proud owner of an M&P.40 Pro 5". It has night sights and a custom trigger from APEX. Awesome gun. Im with you on the manual safety, I''ve been carrying without one for too long to ever go back.

If you ever get a chance to shoot an XD, or a 1911, by all means. You might be forced to run out and spend money you shouldnt though, you been warned.

Someday, I hope to actually own a stainless1911.

Herr Heckler Koch
    To qualify as a most anything there would have to have been many more GLOCKS for many more years to acquire sufficient instances to compare with other older, arguably more popular designs, designs. Averages, rates, are compared by variations and standard deviations and Glocks' frequency of anything distribution is sparse.

I open carry a SA 1911A1 for its solid weight. I conceale carry an H&K USPc .40 for its features, smoothness and lack of weight. I cherish an Interarms American Eagle Luger for its unmatched beauty.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 03-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I own 3 pistols. Glock 22, Springfield XDm 3.8c 40, and a Sig 238 (this gun kinda isn't in the same category). Glock 22 is my favorite by far. I absolutely love Glocks. They're not expensive, have good capacity, reliable, good trigger. It kind of makes me laugh when I tell people it's a Glock and you get the "my god" reaction. I think it's because so many rappers and the media say "Glock" even if it's a Ruger or something. Plus if you're someone who carries two guns of the same caliber (ex. G22 and G27) your Glock 22 mags will work in the G27. Assuming you have 15+1 in your G22, 9+1 in your G27, and 2 extra 15 round mags (which come with the Glock!) that's 56 rounds of ammo. And if your G22 for, whatever reason isn't working, you have that BUG that your spare mags can take. It's just a great set up.
    I get the same type of nod look. It's crazy to me that people seem to look down on Glocks, I love them. I am looking at getting a G27 here soon for a bug so that I have interchangeable mags incase like you mention you need to switch guns. I've also thought about just getting another 23 and carrying two identical guns, although it is hard to conceal a G23 with my body frame. My 23 is really noticable when I'm wearing it on my hip. even when in all black. Serpa Level 2 holster so it does stick out a little ways from my body. I've only one of my buddies try a gun grab, and I corrected his *** real quick lol. And it held up without fail. (note, he wasn't trying to grab it to harm me, he was trying to prove a point of a bad guy taking my gun, major fail i might add)

Banned
    I'd buy a Glock 18 in a second.

I get the same type of nod look. It's crazy to me that people seem to look down on Glocks, I love them. I am looking at getting a G27 here soon for a bug so that I have interchangeable mags incase like you mention you need to switch guns. I've also thought about just getting another 23 and carrying two identical guns, although it is hard to conceal a G23 with my body frame. My 23 is really noticable when I'm wearing it on my hip. even when in all black. Serpa Level 2 holster so it does stick out a little ways from my body. I've only one of my buddies try a gun grab, and I corrected his *** real quick lol. And it held up without fail. (note, he wasn't trying to grab it to harm me, he was trying to prove a point of a bad guy taking my gun, major fail i might add)
    If I were you I'd just get the G27. It is a BUG and IMHO shoots just about as well as my G22. Plus you'll have something smaller incase you have to conceal and the G23 is just too big. But it's you decision.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Glocks are great guns, can't say anything bad about them, but for some people(me included) other guns are just fit better in your hands. I really like the way the XD's fit compared to the glock, so that's what I bought, but if the glock fits you good and is comfortable to shoot then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I would certainly trust my life to one.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

I had a G27 as my primary carry, and it was by far my favorite out of all the polymer guns I've owned (Sig, Glock, Bersa). The only issue I had with it is that my hands are on the smaller side, so double stack frames are harder for me to grip comfortably. I sold it, got the BP9, and went to the range with some friends to try it out. I got to shoot a friend's Kimber, and fell in love! I sold the BP9 and just got a 1911 yesterday for my primary carry.

Still like Glock, just not the best fit for me, personally.

I carried an XD for a couple years, and absolutely adored that little gun. Now, I am the proud owner of an M&P.40 Pro 5". It has night sights and a custom trigger from APEX. Awesome gun. Im with you on the manual safety, I''ve been carrying without one for too long to ever go back.

If you ever get a chance to shoot an XD, or a 1911, by all means. You might be forced to run out and spend money you shouldnt though, you been warned.

Someday, I hope to actually own a stainless1911.

Those 1911's look real nice, price...eh not so much. I like I can get a Glock once a year for about 420.00 +tax I've thought about upgrading my trigger, but I've become so used to my factory set trigger pull that I think I'd be too nervous to get the 3.5lb pull. Too many horror stories of accidental discharges that I've known have used the 3.5. I don't see how they do so, I never have my finger onthe trigger until I'm ready to destroy whatever is in my sights. So maybe I will upgrade after all, not a lot to upgrade to on a Glock though. At least that I've been able to find other than barrels, sights, and triggers.
    Oh thos 1911's look nice though, Now I wanna shoot one.

Glock214

I'd buy a Glock 18 in a second.

do they even make 18's anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    If I were you I'd just get the G27. It is a BUG and IMHO shoots just about as well as my G22. Plus you'll have something smaller incase you have to conceal and the G23 is just too big. But it's you decision.
    I am really leaning towards a G27 also, I like the fact that I can coneal that one alot easier. I think I will go with a 27, I'm thinking about going with a full size Glock like a 22 for home defense strictly. That and so I don't have to leave one of my carry guns at home for the gf for self defense.

Banned
    Those 1911's look real nice, price...eh not so much. I like I can get a Glock once a year for about 420.00 +tax I've thought about upgrading my trigger, but I've become so used to my factory set trigger pull that I think I'd be too nervous to get the 3.5lb pull. Too many horror stories of accidental discharges that I've known have used the 3.5. I don't see how they do so, I never have my finger onthe trigger until I'm ready to destroy whatever is in my sights. So maybe I will upgrade after all, not a lot to upgrade to on a Glock though. At least that I've been able to find other than barrels, sights, and triggers.
    Oh thos 1911's look nice though, Now I wanna shoot one.

Glock214
    A custom trigger doesnt necessarily mean a lighter pull. The FSS kit for the M&P from APEX is still at 4.5 to 5 pounds. I have mine sat at 3 1/2, but I wanted it lighter. The M&P stock trigger is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    I had a G27 as my primary carry, and it was by far my favorite out of all the polymer guns I've owned (Sig, Glock, Bersa). The only issue I had with it is that my hands are on the smaller side, so double stack frames are harder for me to grip comfortably. I sold it, got the BP9, and went to the range with some friends to try it out. I got to shoot a friend's Kimber, and fell in love! I sold the BP9 and just got a 1911 yesterday for my primary carry.

Still like Glock, just not the best fit for me, personally.

Oh, those 1911's are really nice guns, I am very interested in those now. Expensive though, but if they are great guns well worth it. I have smaller hands also, however find that my g23 fits very well, I haven't changed the strap, i've been thinking about it seeing what it would feel like with the med or large backstrap, but I figure if it's comfortable now, why change it up. I don't know if I'd like the single stack mags though of the 1911, I like having that extra capacity just incase.

Banned
    I wasnt a custom 1911 trouble is, its hard to get 5 grand in popcans.

I wasnt a custom 1911 trouble is, its hard to get 5 grand in popcans.

That's a lot of popcans man, lol. 5 grand... wow. I don't think I could ever find a Glock worth anywhere near that amount.

Banned
    I added the cost and potions up just for fun one day on a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite, it came in at over 5.

Oh, those 1911's are really nice guns, I am very interested in those now. Expensive though, but if they are great guns well worth it. I have smaller hands also, however find that my g23 fits very well, I haven't changed the strap, i've been thinking about it seeing what it would feel like with the med or large backstrap, but I figure if it's comfortable now, why change it up. I don't know if I'd like the single stack mags though of the 1911, I like having that extra capacity just incase.
    You can get a Rock Island 1911 for $399. There are many different manufacturers and many different prices. My first gun was a Bersa Thunder .380 we bought from a friend for $150. Then we ponied up for a Sig P250, then sold that and put that to my Glock 27, then sold that to get my BP9...well, as you can see, it's all about working up. You can also find great deals on used guns if you keep a sharp eye on armlist.com and gunbroker.com

I added the cost and potions up just for fun one day on a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite, it came in at over 5.
    I think I quoted a brand new gen 4 23 prior to buying mine customized with as much as I could find at the time on a glock website I found, and it was close to 1k but that was including shipping and ffl transfer fee. No where near 5k. I love that Glocks are inexpensive, I can get em with out saving a lot of pop cans lol

I think they're great guns. Their worth (reliability and accuracy for value) has been proven over and over again, so there's no point in arguing that.

That being said, I think it's a little weird to have to pull the trigger to strip a semi-auto. I'm not saying it's a bad design, as it's just a result of their simplicity. It's just that it leaves a lot of room for operator error. It's also nice to know that if I screw up, decock my Walther, field strip it and find a round still in the chamber that I'll only feel like an idiot instead of having bleeding ear drums and a hole in my floor/wall.

The one design fault I will give the Glock is the grip. If it wasn't for the grip I would have had a much harder time choosing between my P99 and a Glock 19. Even still, now that I know what I do about the XD line, I'd probably go for one of those before I would a Glock. It's a bit more comforatable, the angle is better. The only way I'd buy a Glock is if there was a grip sleeve that I KNOW would make it feel good.

I disagree that it's a dangerous gun, but just like any other weapon with unique features, proper training is important. And if I had to use one in a life or death situation I would gladly trust my life to it. IMO they're like the Honda Civic of guns: totally reliable, completely customizable, and they just work-even when abused (ok ok, the Honda will have serious blue smoke issues if abused, but it'll still work).
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    I think they're great guns. Their worth (reliability and accuracy for value) has been proven over and over again, so there's no point in arguing that.

That being said, I think it's a little weird to have to pull the trigger to strip a semi-auto. I'm not saying it's a bad design, as it's just a result of their simplicity. It's just that it leaves a lot of room for operator error. It's also nice to know that if I screw up, decock my Walther, field strip it and find a round still in the chamber that I'll only feel like an idiot instead of having bleeding ear drums and a hole in my floor/wall.

The one design fault I will give the Glock is the grip. If it wasn't for the grip I would have had a much harder time choosing between my P99 and a Glock 19. Even still, now that I know what I do about the XD line, I'd probably go for one of those before I would a Glock. It's a bit more comforatable, the angle is better. The only way I'd buy a Glock is if there was a grip sleeve that I KNOW would make it feel good.

I disagree that it's a dangerous gun, but just like any other weapon with unique features, proper training is important. And if I had to use one in a life or death situation I would gladly trust my life to it. IMO they're like the Honda Civic of guns: totally reliable, completely customizable, and they just work-even when abused (ok ok, the Honda will have serious blue smoke issues if abused, but it'll still work).

I do agree with you, I don't like having to pull the trigger to field strip my Glock. I also find that the gen 4 grip is a bit on the rough side, took a while to get used to it, I've thought about putting a sleeve on it but have kind of gotten used to it. Still is tough on my hands when I fire a few hundred rounds through it though. I sometimes wear gloves too just to get comfortable shooting with gloves on in the event I'm outside and it's cold and I need to shoot for defensive purposes. They (Glocks) will stand up to almost anything, and still go bang when you pull the trigger, slide may lock back depending on what you did to it, however the fact that it will fire is awsome. I don't abuse mine other than, it not being fired as often as I know it should be. lol.

do they even make 18's anymore?

Yup their suppose to have a generation4 18c coming out.

Id really like to get a generation3 18. To bad you cant though.

The Glock 33 has caught my eye, a .357 sub compact. The pocket rocket.

For now I will just stick to my generation3 19, it works just fine.
    Last edited by GlockIt; 03-10-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Id rather look at my ugly Glock than shoot your fancy S&W.

My EDC is a Gen 3 G23. I can conceal it well: just a cheap, simple Blackhawk IWB like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99284758-450x450-0-0_Hawk+Blackhawk+IWB+Inside+The+Pants+Pistol+Clip+Ho.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	8106

or, if I am choosing to deep conceal, I use this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	standard.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	8107

However, I usually OC and only use the two above if I am doing something that demands I conceal.

In regards to handguns, I also owned the following before they were all lost in a very unfortunate boating accident: a NA Arms .22mag with the beltclip holster, a Heritage .22/ .22 mag that I used for squirrel hunting, a p64 in 9mm (Mak), a Nagant 1895 (7.62×38mmR), and a Ruger Redhawk in .44mag with a 7" Barrel. I would sometimes OC the .44mag when I was going shooting sometime during the day and sometimes the p64 when I wanted to "blend in". I almost always had my NA arms revolver on me and it was my "close-up and personal" bug, but I oc'd that too to avoid having to inform if I was OC. But, since the accident...

When I was going to buy my first CC handgun, I went with the Glock 23 listed above. I love it. IF people have a problem but it works for you, then who cares? One of my most embarrassing new OC moments was having the Glock in an OWB holster without any retention get knocked out of the holster when I was up on my roof doing some repairs. The pistol slid down the roof, fell a few feet to the lower section of roof, dropped off that ledge, hit my ladder, hit my deck, and tumbled down on to rocky ground. No discharge, no damage besides the edge of the rear sight had a small gash. I thought about taking it out but have decided to leave it there as a memento of my foolishness. I think Glocks are as safe as anything else I would carry, as I would never use a manual safety anyway. Keep your finger off the trigger and it should not be a problem. (Regarding reloaded ammo in a Glock, that is another issue with which I don't wish to derail this thread. Google it if you need more information)

* I did add reinforcement to my Smartcarry holster in the area near the trigger guard; when wearing the holster and re-holstering I noticed that the fabric could conceivably enter the trigger guard; I have enough children already but a shot "there" would NOT be enjoyable at all. But, as I said, any pistol would be a concern because I would never use the external safety anyway.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 03-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast