• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Another Washington Kid Shot

hermannr

fire suppressor

Just saw this on the news. This with the little girl who just got shot in bremerton I feel like its only a matter of time before they come at our rights again. As we all know no matter what the circumstance its always the guns fault not the human behind it

hermannr

iirc, yes. Add: only if vehicle is running, apparently http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/safety-laws.php

Coming soon to Olympia: mandatory gun lock law.

Only if we let Olympia do so..

The solution to problems like this is to teach firearm safety and take the mystery out of fairearms at as young an age as is possible. If the kid (can be very young child) knows what it is, they are much less likely to handle a gun they have "found", and if they do handle one, they are more likely to handle it safely.

Also, without the CPL holder in the vehicle, the glove box was supposed to be locked, no?.

Last edited:

decklin

Of course there are the usual comments of "why do you need to carry a gun in the middle of the day? It doesn't make any sense!"

I actually ran into this same reasoning today. I was at the Foxhole in Tilicum with a buddy. I was cc and he was oc. One of the employees asked him if his weapon was loaded.

He said it was and they told him they do not allow laoded guns in the store.

I asked another employee why that was and she told me it was just store policy and that she didn't know why we would need a loaded gun in the store anyways.

I told her I was sure the people in the Reno Ihop thought the very same thing. She had nothing else to say.

Dave_pro2a

Also, without the CPL holder in the vehicle, the glove box was supposed to be locked, no?.

LEO are above the law.

My money is on the engine running too.

So two laws were likely broken (one for sure). And yet they will surely try to fix this 'epidemic' with... more laws. And the people tasked with enforcing said laws are.... the kind of guys who leave an unsecured loaded gun in a van with children unsupervised.

Wanna bet this officer faces virtually no legal or professional repercussions?

Last edited:

DCKilla

I'm extremely frustrated with the reports from this and other news agencies. I want to make sure that the little girl is going to be ok. If not ok, let us know so we can...I don't know. Is it too much to ask for? I'm a parent with young kids. It hurts me every time this happens.

fire suppressor

Only if we let Olympia do so..

The solution to problems like this is to teach firearm safety and take the mystery out of fairearms at as young an age as is possible. If the kid (can be very young child) knows what it is, they are much less likely to handle a gun they have "found", and if they do handle one, they are more likely to handle it safely.

HUGE +1! I grew up with loaded guns in the house my dad taught me from a very early age what they where and how to use AND clean them. I had a 22 rifle when I was 5 and a 410 when I was 6. While that may not be appropriate in every situation my father had taken the mystery out of firearms. I never felt a need to go snooping around and experimenting with them because I understood them so well. And if I ever did find one I would have left it alone and told my dad, not only because I was taught to "stop don't touch...." but also out of respect and fear of my father. I knew I would have been spanked for touching one without permission. Luckily in my case it never came up

Last edited:

amlevin

iirc, yes. Add: only if vehicle is running, apparently http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/safety-laws.php

Coming soon to Olympia: mandatory gun lock law.

Try and buy a pistol today that doesn't have a lock with it. Then go out and find two people that use them rather than just tossing them in the kitchen junk drawer.

If this firearm belonged to a LEO, why wasn't it on their person where it belonged? All the more reason to CARRY. So it isn't left where a child can find it.

oneeyeross

Try and buy a pistol today that doesn't have a lock with it. Then go out and find two people that use them rather than just tossing them in the kitchen junk drawer.

If this firearm belonged to a LEO, why wasn't it on their person where it belonged? All the more reason to CARRY. So it isn't left where a child can find it.

Here, here. When our older grand kids lived with us, only our "duty" weapons were unsecured...when they moved away, the gun locks came off (they really won't stop a determined adult, but will slow kids down).

Our youngest grand daughter is still too young to worry about, but soon (within six months or so) the locks will be on every weapon that isn't attached to a body...

TechnoWeenie

Try and buy a pistol today that doesn't have a lock with it.

I bought a Draco the other day....

Brand new in the box, guess what it came with?

Yup.. a cheesy.. ****** .....trigger lock.....

I had no choice but to laugh....

The kind of person buying a Draco is not the kind of person to be putting TRIGGER LOCKS on it....

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Isnt it against the law to leave children unattended in a vehicle?

I was walking thru the park and saw a baby in a car seat, alone in a parked van. No adults around (they were in the picnic area). I called 911 and was told that it was not a crime and they would not respond. The mother showed up while I was on the phone and yelled at me for interfering.

Beretta92FSLady

I was walking thru the park and saw a baby in a car seat, alone in a parked van. No adults around (they were in the picnic area). I called 911 and was told that it was not a crime and they would not respond. The mother showed up while I was on the phone and yelled at me for interfering.

When I was nineteen, in Utah, I was walking to the store one afternoon, and happen by a truck with its passenger window rolled part-way down, it was the summer time, the truck was parked in front of a bar, baby in the car seat. I immediately called the police, waited, waited, waited, waited, took half hour for them to get there. Dad was in the bar drinking. Dad got reprimanded, and that's it.

Last edited:

aktion

When I was nineteen, in Utah, I was walking to the store one afternoon, and happen by a truck with its passenger window rolled part-way down, it was the summer time, the truck was parked in front of a bar, baby in the car seat. I immediately called the police, waited, waited, waited, waited, took half hour for them to get there. Dad was in the bar drinking. Dad got reprimanded, and that's it.

And a law banning/punishing said behavior would accomplish what, exactly?