• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any owners of WASR 10's out there?

WOD

I currently have a China Sports AK I picked up for $200.00, which also came with 1000 rnds. of 7.62x39. I haven't shot the weapon yet, but everything fits where it should, and it seems in good enough condition to shoot, but I hate the one piece stock on this thing. So, I've been looking around various sites, and I really like the look of the WASR 10's with the wooden furniture. The price range for a dependable AK modeled rifle, fits my budget, so I've decided that will be my next purchase.

I haven't found any local shops that have one/any on the rack, and I don't want to pay FFL and shipping costs etc., if I don't have to. So, I'll just expand my search in the area. My main question would be, once I find one, what specific items of concern, should I be looking out for? I've been reading some articles and postings about some problems with certain remanufactures, and brands, and companies etc., the web is the web. Which country makes a better version... Russia, Poland, Rumania, Bulgaria? Again, I've seen/read differing opinions on these as well, I'd personally love a straight up Kalishnikov, but I don't have a Class 3 license. So, any helpful information would be appreciated.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I've got a WASR, it's not a bad gun. The trigger sucks, what with the slap and all. The mags wiggle in the well, but they always feed reliably. I would get a Romanian GP75 instead, or something with a milled receiver instead. It will cost a couple hundred more, but it's worth it.

Beretta92FSLady

I had a Romanian WASR-10. I replaced the foregrip with a rap-around aluminum quad rail--52 bucks at the time! Then a rail from the rear sight back to the receiver. The reason, I didn't like the wood, and wanted to be able to put drop-down front and rear sights on it.

There are other brands but my WASR-10 was a good 100 yard rifle; what more do I need in something that you can get 75 rd. drums. The WASR-10 is an urban weapon, IMO, and good in a pinch in the woods if you had to hunt, the 7.62X39 is more than enough round for the job.

You can either get a milled receiver (more expensive) typically on Chinese, if I remember right. Or you can go for the pressed receiver, and parts are easier to come by from what I hear.

There are youtube videos, if you are inclined, capable, and have the tools, you can tear down the WASR-10 and straighten out the barrel with the receiver. That way, you won't have the canted front-sight.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I've got a WASR, it's not a bad gun. The trigger sucks, what with the slap and all. The mags wiggle in the well, but they always feed reliably. I would get a Romanian GP75 instead, or something with a milled receiver instead. It will cost a couple hundred more, but it's worth it.

There's a reason for not having tight tolerances. Mine ate anything. If I had to choose between a WASR and an AR, I would take the WASR. Then again, I like cheap firearms.:dude:

Kivuli

I have a 2001 Romanian WASR-10. The furniture on it was is great shape and was matched, the front sight wasn't canted, and while it did exhibit trigger slap, a $30 tapco trigger group solved that problem. It has never failed to fire, it's as accurate as any AK can be, and while the mags do wobble a bit there's even things you can do to solve that if you're mechanically inclined. Worth their price, if you ask me.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
There's a reason for not having tight tolerances. Mine ate anything. If I had to choose between a WASR and an AR, I would take the WASR. Then again, I like cheap firearms.:dude:

The GP75 is still an AK platform, and has the standard loose tolerances. It's just a higher quality in machining and material.

WOD

I've seen plenty of testimonials about the magazine wobble, and that isn't a concern for me, everyone who says theirs had a wobble ALL said the feed was unaffected. The other thing about the mag wobble has more to do with the magazine used, and if it is a concern a good welder and some shims can fix that.

My chinese front sight post is already canted LOL, probably more from alcohol abuse than anything else, going by who I purchased the gun from. They camped a lot.

I've also seen the huge debates over stamped vs. milled receivers as well, and when I read about the Yugo version M70 I went to look at those, and there was a lot of hoopla about those as well. Everyone keeps saying these are good junk weapons.... and theirs is better than yours, and don't piss in my sandbox...etc. Then they argue about which is better Saigas or Century's or Atlantics... makes me nuts. The main problem is, almost all come from Century Arms anyways, and the good ones or the bad ones all have been through C.A.'s hands.

Even the RPK's all are imported by C.A.'s, which was another model I was considering. I like the RPK's for two reasons, AK platform, and a longer stronger barrel. They too can take a drum mag!

I'm thinking I'll have to head up Seattle way, and spend a day trolling shops with a knowledgeable person, or rifle ranges to fire a few and decide, or,spend a lot more than I care to, to get a really good one.

I prefer reliable weapons, .. that's why my baby gun is a Glock. Choice between an AR and an AK... AK hands down, since I can't afford or own the ones available that are reliable AR style weapons. I'd love the AR that Red Jacket built for the Nuke Security Contractors... *sighs* but I'd also love a few of the AK's Will has hanging on his wall too!

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Wow!

SOOO,,, you bought 1000 rds of ammo for 20 cent each,,, A BARGIN!!!
ANDDDDD,,, you got a FREEEEE GUN....

so now you want to spend a bunch of money to get a different gun. WHY??

straighten the front sight on your free gun,,, with a hammer, then get it tack welded.
buy some after market stock parts, maybe a folder, those are nice, maybe 60 bucks.
it will be a fine SHTF gun, as good as the sights and barrel will allow for 100 yd. accuracy,,, all you need.

WOD

LOL Defender!

That IS the bright side... Free Gun with every 1000 rounds! But WAIT! That's not all! I also got 2 30 rnd. mags, 1 5 rnd. mag, a bipod, a scope, and an extra receiver cover with a scope rail, a strap, a little tiny oil bottle, a cleaning rod, but no tool to drop the barrel.

j4l

If you already have an AK, and it works- you could just replace the stocks yourself. Or re-finish them, or -if you really want to get hands-on with it, just re-make them with the wood of your choice.

Most of the issues (and most of those are non-issues, really) with the WASRs, that I've heard of/seen varried, depending on where the particular example was made (China/Romania, etc).
The magazine wobble issue had to do with the indents on the mag wells of some models, if it had the indents-supposedly no or at least less wobble, if it lacks the side indents=wobble time.

WOD

Yes!! I Got One!

Yay! I got my WASR 10 Under folder today, it's a CIA M70AB23221 w Tapco G 2 trigger group, black furniture, and the previous owner straightened the sights/gas tube for me. Nothing rattles, rivets seem tight, and yes, the receiver has the dimple. IMG_0023.jpgIMG_0024.jpg Next to it is my Norinco, that I still have to fix furniture on.

Last edited: