• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Petition for State wide open carry

KBCraig

How such a bill does not unanimously pass in a state like Texas is beyond me.

"A state like Texas" is mostly propaganda, not reality.

It's easy for one of the constitutionally weakest governors in the country to brag about legislation over which he has no control. It's something else entirely for such braggadocio to become reality.

I've been following this for 20 years (19 of which I was a Texas resident, before there was even legal concealed carry in "a state like Texas").

Constitutional carry will never see the light of day in Texas. The only bills that might make it through the legislature (via the gatekeepers at TSRA) will be either licensed OC, or unlicensed OC with CHLers not allowed to OC in urban areas. Expect no protection from any "no guns" signs, even those not 30.06-compliant; that means a Class A misdemeanor for "criminal trespass while in possession of a deadly weapon", and loss of CHL (if licensed) for about 7 years. The power brokers will talk a good game about supporting OC, while warning that 30.06 signs will go up everywhere, restricting their precious government-permitted concealed carry.

The only solution for Texas, which I rate somewhere south of a snowball's chance in hell, is to nuke PC Chapter 46, entirely.

I shook the Texas dust from my feet a year ago, and happily OC in complete freedom now. And even when I CC, it's with a printed sheet of paper that I don't even have to carry, but was issued for $10 within 48 hours of dropping off my application.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Reuters News Article on Texas Open Carry Effort...

"Texas lawmakers put new gun rights laws in their sights"
Reuters (12-14-14)
By Jim Forsyth

First 2 paragraphs of article:

"Several proposed new gun laws await the new Texas legislature when it opens next month, including one to allow open carrying of handguns in public and another providing a sales tax holiday for firearms purchases."

"The Republican-dominated legislature will become even more conservative due the party's landslide win in the November election, with many members pledging to expanding firearms rights in the state often seen as an incubator of conservative policies nationwide."

<snip>

-- http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...-in-their-sights/ar-BBgNChg?ocid=ansnewsreu11

Attachments

• Come and Take It - pic by Tony Gutierrez-AP (5-29-14).jpg
    Come and Take It - pic by Tony Gutierrez-AP (5-29-14).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

markmopar

"Current Texas law grants citizens the right to carry concealed handguns with a permit."

That should read "Current Texas law restricts the rights of citizens to only carry concealed handguns with a permit."

Old Yankee

Ohio stands with you !

Ohio has HISTORICALLY always been an open carry state, no license or 'permit' needed.
I cannot understand WHY our state legislature trusts it's citizens and Texas politicians don't trust theirs.
I used to live in Orange,Texas and Texans are just as trustworthy as Ohioans or people of other states
where openly carrying firearms in plain site on one's person IS NO BIG DEAL and completely acceptable.
TEXANS ARE TRUSTWORTHY PEOPLE and citizens of the same country Ohioans are.= We are one, AMERICANS !

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)