Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC More Than One Weapon At Same Time?

Cool OC More Than One Weapon At Same Time?

Hi, I do believe in many areas of life in having a backup plan. Thoughts on more than one handgun at same time? Capacity of two Vs. extra magazines? It would be worth it for me I think. 25 .45's vs. 9 .45's and one .40 cal gun that holds 13+1 and 9 in the .45. Thank you for your time.

Herr Heckler Koch
    If two are better'n one, like tattoos, then why not three or more, limited only by one's strength and surface area?

As to magazines, it depends on ones purpose.

I carry one self-defense gun and try not to let it alter my routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    If two are better'n one, like tattoos, then why not three or more, limited only by one's strength and surface area?

As to magazines, it depends on ones purpose.

I carry one self-defense gun and try not to let it alter my routine.
    There are some folks who feel the NY Re-load is better/faster than tactical reloads/mag swaps,so why not? , I guess..
    If you have the room to comfortably carry 2 instead of 1 with spare mags..and dont mind the weight-or the "here comes Tactical Tim" comments from passerby..

If I was seriously worried about frequent violent encounters with multiple targets through out the day I would definetly recommend carrying multiple firearms and traveling in groups no smaller than 4, but as there is only a minimal chance of even one encounter in any day, I think one with 1-3 spare magazines is quite enough.

Some days I'll wear one of my primary handguns on one hip with an extra mag or two on the other hip, with my BUG (Keltec PF9) in my jacket/vest pocket or on my ankle...

If I'm not carrying like that, I usually wear my primary on one hip and my backup, worn crossdraw, on my other hip. I'm really starting to like having both my tools on my hips, at the same time, rather than one on my hip and one in my pocket. I find it more convenient, comfortable, and quicker if I ever have to go for my BUG.

Regards,
    Mall Ninja
    Last edited by carsontech; 03-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.

I rarely carry a BUG, but when I do I carry it concealed in the small of my back. I suppose you could OC a second gun, so long as it is legal.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I reside in Detroit, one of the most violent cities in America. On average, three people are shot everyday (not all of them are fatal) and on average every other day there is at least one person murdered.

Hence, I OC two FN-45 pistols and two spare high capacity magazines on a duty belt and wear body armor. One pistol is accessible for my strong arm and one for my non-dominant arm that way if one hand is injured or occupied I can still draw with the other arm and continue defending myself or others.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

I recommed carrying a BUG but have only dual-OC-ed once when going to a OC dinner and a friendly crowd. :-)

I carry my BUG concealed in a pocket. I will usually carry one additional magazine so on an average day minimum I will have 8+1 on my hip, 6+1 in my pocket and 8 in another pocket which equals 24 rounds. Today I have 15+1 on my hip, 6+1 BUG and 8 in my pocket and 14 on a mag holder equaling 45. (all in 45acp) so I feel sufficiently armed.

I also like the 15+1 of the FNP-45 like cmdr_iceman77. :-)
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 03-11-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdr_iceman71 View Post
    I reside in Detroit, one of the most violent cities in America. On average, three people are shot everyday (not all of them are fatal) and on average every other day there is at least one person murdered.

Hence, I OC two FN-45 pistols and two spare high capacity magazines on a duty belt and wear body armor. One pistol is accessible for my strong arm and one for my non-dominant arm that way if one hand is injured or occupied I can still draw with the other arm and continue defending myself or others.
    Holy smokes, that's some weight. Have any pics you can share of your edc stuff? Are they the FNXs or FNPs?
    Last edited by carsontech; 03-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeV View Post
    If I was seriously worried about frequent violent encounters with multiple targets through out the day I would definetly recommend carrying multiple firearms and traveling in groups no smaller than 4, ...snip
    I think that if I was in this situation, I might consider moving to another state....lol

Usually I just OC one fiream (fully loaded w/2 extra mags). Either my XD 40 or my concel firearm (if I ever feel like C.C.) which is my Glock 27sc Gen. 4 (both 40 Cal.) I have recently considered carrying both as the XD open on my stong side (right) and my Glock C.C. in an IWB on my left side. Based on this thread I am now thinking about OC'ing both open (as discribed above) as I have holsters to accomedate this as well.

Hhhhmmmm.....????? Probably give it a try tomorrow... Oh wait... then there is my ankle holster....

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 03-11-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

I support the thought of extra hardware, however, it seems that maintaining positive control just became twice as difficult. Ever turn away from someone standing in line because you felt they were a little too close to your strong side? I find myself doing this most places because i fear the possibility of some moron creeping in behind me and attempting to gain control from behind me. Either way you turn a gun will be facing them, leaving the other blind sided if your eyes guard it. In public, you will most likely find yourself in this scenario at some point. Maybe one CC and one OC would be the better route if you wanted the extra metal?

Quote Originally Posted by The Airframer View Post
    SNIP Maybe one CC and one OC would be the better route if you wanted the extra metal?
    +1, this is what I would advocate as well. Granted, I doubt someone could take two openly carried guns from someone, but your awareness would need to be a bit higher than normal.

Maybe one CC and one OC would be the better route if you wanted the extra metal?
    That would probably help someone with keeping their "situation" from escalating beyond their "situational awareness". Although, in states where a permit is only needed for CC and not OC, some like to avoid getting CC permits. The only way to carry two firearms, if that is a preference, is to carry them openly.

Before I got my permit to carry concealed, the only way I was able to carry my primary and BUG, in most states, was openly.
    Last edited by carsontech; 03-12-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I doubt someone could take two openly carried guns from someone
    Undoubtedly, but even if a perp were to go for one, you've got yourself a situation that could present blood on your hands that could have been avoided altogether.

Undoubtedly, but even if a perp were to go for one, you've got yourself a situation that could present blood on your hands that could have been avoided altogether.
    Never been a fan of this line of thinking.

My rights end where another person's begin, and I treat responsibility the same. Tying to say I would have blood on my hands becuase some wack job was able to somehow snatch a gun isn't something I agree with. Now if I handed a gun to a psychotic serial killer knowing full well what he would do with it . . . that is another thing.

Not saying I do not plan to thwart a gun grab, just that if one did succeed despite my best efforts it is not on my hands that it occurred, but that of the individual making an aggressive action who decided to engage in a dangerous life and death struggle for a firearm.

This to me seems like blaming the victim mentality, or the Anti2a, well if you just didn't have a gun mentality.
    Last edited by Xulld; 03-12-2012 at 01:46 PM.

I guess my point was that if they went for one, you could go for the other and you may have the upper hand because you are familiar with operating your gun while the criminal is probably not. It would be the same as a criminal grabbing your OC gun and you reaching for a CC one.

I had already contemplated OCing two handguns before reading the passage below regarding seven rational reasons for carrying a back-up gun in the book "The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" - Massad Ayoob.

This anecdote merely solidified my decision.

2) "The primary gun may be unusable because it is the object of a struggle.
    In Ohio not long ago, a police officer found himself in a desperate battle for survival as his opponent struggled to take away his department issue Glock 22 pistol. Fortunately, the department had had the foresight to issue every officer a Glock 27, a subcompact version of the duty pistol, as backup. In the last instant before the suspect gained control of his service weapon, the officer was able to draw his backup G27 and fire a shot into his would-be murder's head, killing the assailant and saving his own life."

In that last instant before I lose possession of one of my guns, due to a struggle, I don't want to find myself frantically and unsuccessfully tugging at my shirt-tail (with only one free hand) trying to pull out my back up gun. In a case like that I especially want to be able to draw instantly and smoothly with one hand.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up +1

As the wise person posting just before me does, I have oc'd two pistols. Like his example I use a secondary pistol that is campatible with my primary pistols magazines. G17/G26.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

I think anyone who OCs should carry a BUG if possible. If someone gets your primary you'll want to have something.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Activist Member
    I think it is a good idea. A lot of times I only have one, but a lot of times I have a concealed or or openly carried backup gun or an openly carried knife too.

Since we're 'Civilians'

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    I think it is a good idea. A lot of times I only have one, but a lot of times I have a concealed or or openly carried backup gun or an openly carried knife too.
    You've got to think about what your local DA's attitude is going to be. I'm in the St. Louis area. If I have to shoot someone in St. Louis County, I only want one legal weapon. In most other counties, they won't even blink at a backup gun and might even ignore the knife. Maximus has the right idea in that he's flexible about what and when he carries it.

Backup guns and blades are for when you're losing the fight.
    Last edited by tabigarasu; 03-20-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tabigarasu View Post
    Backup guns and blades are for when you're losing the fight.
    This is a truism.

I normally OC just one pistol. When I walk the woods with my dogs, I throw on a shoulder holster under my jacket. It is handy, in this case, to have a bug w/black talons for the beasties in the woods
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tabigarasu View Post
    <snip> Backup guns and blades are for when you're losing the fight.
    Well if you are losing it doesn't mean you lost yet. I would rather be losing and come out on top because of my BUG than have my family bury me.

As with everything else there are tradeoffs and it is a personel decision how much and what to carry.

If the world gets really bad to the point that I would consider double-OC normal, my primary would change to a rifle. In the mean time my BUG (45acp) rides in my pocket. :-)

I've never carried in any manner...yet.

I'm just here trying to gather information & ideas on how to do it from folks who know far more about carry than I do.

I never even considered multiple guns. I'd do my best to stay the hell away from any area where I felt so endangered as to need multiple firearms. It's most unfortunate such areas exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast