• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Motorists Association issues advisories re rights at police roadblocks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
2 great links re driver and roadblock rights:

http://www.motorists.org/dui/traffic-stop and http://blog.motorists.org/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-roadblocks

Note 1: In virginia mere reasonable suspicion does NOT allow police to demand you perform field chemical test - they must have probable cause of DUI to arrest you and take you to station or other facility to force test.

So refuse to answer police questions about your journey, whether you drank alcohol, have guns in your car, etc., and refuse to take the field chemical tests or otherwise perform stupid roadside pet tricks. All of this is just used to try to trick you into building probable cause to arrest you so that you can be forced to take the chemical test.

Note 2: Under the recent US Supreme Court case of Arizona v. Gant, merely arresting a driver does not provide a police entitlement" to search the vehicle without a warrant. "Police may search a vehicle incident to a recent occupant’s arrest only if the arrestee is within reaching distance of the passenger compartment at the time of the search or it is reasonable to believe the vehicle contains evidence of the offense of arrest. When these justifications are absent, a search of an arrestee’s vehicle will be unreasonable unless police obtain a warrant or show that another exception to the warrant requirement applies." Gant.

Gant makes clear that a mere vehicle stop made pursuant to reasonable suspicion, or a road block erected pusuant to an exception to the reasonable suspicioon requirement, see Michigan v. Sitz, is NOT an exception to the warrant requirement.

Motorists need to know when they are searched unlawfully so they can sue the police afterwards. So firmly refuse to allow a seach of you or your car.

And police need to know when searches are unlawful too so they can avoid screwing up and letting bad guys off the hook via the bad guys' lawyers' suppression of evidence motions.

Last edited:

Yard Sale

I was assaulted and kidnapped at one of these roadblocks while open carrying. I declined consent to enter my vehicle, declined consent to search my person, declined to participate in my prosecution (FSTs), and declined to answer questions. I was told I was under arrest for DUI and possession of a firearm while intoxicated, but I hadn't had a drink in months. My pistol is still held as evidence over a year after the blood test showed no alcohol whatsoever. My video camera and notebook were stolen. My trial is a week from today.

http://www.lolinter.net/badcops.pdf

sudden valley gunner

I was assaulted and kidnapped at one of these roadblocks while open carrying. I declined consent to enter my vehicle, declined consent to search my person, declined to participate in my prosecution (FSTs), and declined to answer questions. I was told I was under arrest for DUI and possession of a firearm while intoxicated, but I hadn't had a drink in months. My pistol is still held as evidence over a year after the blood test showed no alcohol whatsoever. My video camera and notebook were stolen. My trial is a week from today.

Looks like they sat around a round table and wrote out their reports together.

When you ask 4 different witnesses to an accident you get 4 different versions of what transpired, how come cops versions all come out the same? Is it trained what to say or they conspire what to say? So you may be able to ad conspiracy to the charges against them also.

Motofixxer

I noticed they all say his eyes were red and bloodshot blah blah blah. Hmm wonder what the nurse noticed...I'm guessing nothing. They all say...oh he was reaching for his gun so we relieved him of it too, uh huh sure.

riverrat10k

I am so sorry you are still dealing with this. I haven't visited the NV thread for too long.

I can't believe they still have your gun.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

If your BAC tests came back clean then what are they charging you with? Do you have an attorney?

PM me so we don't take this off-topic.

Last edited:

Stanley

Here is an example of the execution of it.

DUI checkpoint Refusal
[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=053_1329365345[/video]

If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it. Of course, I'm new to the idea of bucking the man. Need more of these videos.

sudden valley gunner

If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it. Of course, I'm new to the idea of bucking the man. Need more of these videos.

The pressure to comply is immense I have been there, you have to stand on principle that what you are doing is right. When we comply it only enables the officers that what they are doing is right.

If you go through the history of this forum you will find that there are many here who have taken stands against unlawful intrusion into your life.

Gunslinger

With light brown hair, green eyes and a Vietnam Veteran cap on the left side of the dashboard, I would probably answer "what the **** country do you think I'm from?" In a nice way, of course...

Yard Sale

I have been asserting my rights at local DUI roadblocks since September 2005 and at federal immigration roadblocks years before that. I have observed the personnel staffing the roadblocks are becoming more aggressive and less respectful of my rights.

Stanley

I've never been in a DUI checkpoint but when I was young I let the border patrol check my car regularly because I didn't know better.

Dumb question, do the federal LEOs have to follow the same rules as state/local LEO's? I'm assuming yes but watched a YouTube vid of a guy trying to assert his rights at a DHS checkpoint and the DHS guy(not sure what service) got rowdy with the citizen..,