• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry get together in Asheville April 1st

BGreenberg

I am trying to organize a get together of OC folks in Asheville for April the 1st in the afternoon. This will be my first attempt at a group gathering. I personally OC in Asheville and every where else that I can do so legally. Won't you come and join me. Email me guns@comporium.net or check my FB page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bennett-Greenberg-Firearms-Training/398501555173

Bennett Greenberg
Firearms Instructor
NRA and State Certified

Classes in Concealed Carry,
Home & Street Safety,
Practical & Tactical,
F.A.T.S. Instructor for Law Enforcement and Civilians

NC-Heel

I would be interested. A couple of tips to help make this gathering successful. Go ahead and have some ideas of where to meet and post the possible locations. Will help people decide if it is interesting enough for them and will start some buzz as people chime in on where they would like to get-to-gether. Possibly move it to Saturday. Sunday and it being April Fools Day will not help your turn out.

BGreenberg

Right now the plan is to meet at a restaurant (probably J&S across from the airport since they are gun and OC friendly) to discuss the plan for the day. I have OC literature to hand out if anyone wants more info on the subject. Everyone will also get a layers letter for Law Enforcement in case they are not familiar with OC and going armed to the terror of the people. My goal is for all of us to meet up again downtown and circulate amongst the people. Letting people know about OC and gun rights. The point is to be an ambassador of good will not come off as a gun toting nut that resists all authority. If the police do come, I will deal with them. I am a FATS instructor for Law Enforcement and am used to educating them on the gun owning public. If you do not feel comfortable OC than that is your choice, you can still attend. I will have a few blue guns available for those that wish to make a statement but are not comfortable carrying a real gun.

I chose April first since some have told me I am on a fools mission but I believe it is those that oppose OC that are on a fools mission. Hope to see you there.

NC-Heel

In my opinion that itinerary is not going to receive much support from this community. Actively seeking to educate the general public is usually shied away from. Just as I don't want anyone trying to "educate" me in their beliefs I try to return the favor. A gathering of like minded individuals allowing them to socialize seems to work. If it just happens to intersect with the daily activities of the general public, then so be it. I personally would rather answer someone's questions verbally if they are curious to my decision to open carry my weapon.

I am always down for some good food and socialization. Enjoy sight-seeing also.

papa bear

hey BGREENBURG, it's a little far for me but i would like to attend with you guys if possible. keep me informed

BGreenberg

In my opinion that itinerary is not going to receive much support from this community. Actively seeking to educate the general public is usually shied away from. Just as I don't want anyone trying to "educate" me in their beliefs I try to return the favor. A gathering of like minded individuals allowing them to socialize seems to work. If it just happens to intersect with the daily activities of the general public, then so be it. I personally would rather answer someone's questions verbally if they are curious to my decision to open carry my weapon.

Lets face it, everyone has an agenda. Even a social activity is more than a social activity for those participating. I agree with you that I don't want someone pushing their opinions on me. If that is the impression you got I apologize. Educating others is done by showing them that we are just like them and not to be feared. Educating others comes from people seeing me with a gun and they ask "is that legal, how do I do that". Education is when a LEO asks for your permit and you get the opportunity to explain to them OC is legal in NC and going armed to the terror of the people does not apply. It is not standing around passing out flyers and telling everyone that comes by they should carry a gun. I OC every single day, everywhere it is legal. I teach cops about the law whenever I get the chance. I have never been stopped and hassled yet. I have been asked what kind of permit I had to OC several times. I have had people comment about my cool gun. I take the opportunity to make every contact a good learning experience for all. Even if no one says a word to me, people get used to seeing others OC and so it is behavioral conditioning for the sheeple. Hope that clears it up.

BGreenberg

Almost forgot, it is educational for someone who has thought of OC but maybe a bit nervous about doing it. Being around others and seeing the sky will not fall down on you nor the earth open up and swallow you makes people feel more at ease. People OC for the first time may feel more comfortable around others who OC too.

drew9

Almost forgot, it is educational for someone who has thought of OC but maybe a bit nervous about doing it. Being around others and seeing the sky will not fall down on you nor the earth open up and swallow you makes people feel more at ease. People OC for the first time may feel more comfortable around others who OC too.[/QUOTE

unfortunately its too far for me as well, money and time restraints, or I would come. I just wanted to say something my Concealed carry instructor said that has stuck with me. "when you choose to carry a gun, like or not you become an activist." While I dont go out of my way to educate sheeple, I understand that anyone who sees me doing it will know that A: It must be legal since its out in the open, or B: I must be law enforcement(which im not). Most sheeple dont even notice unless theres more than one person carrying. The act of carrying is activism, purely because by carrying you are "acting"(doing) because that is what real activism is. No religious pamplets needed :) (I do carry an oc one incase someone asks, however.:)

NC-Heel

Sorry if I misconstrued your intentions. The whole meeting at one place and supplying people with literature then traveling to a high foot traffic area to "circulate amongst the people. Letting people know about OC and gun rights." sounded kinda like handing out pamphlets. I have never went out of my way to go somewhere so people could see that I am armed while I am supplied with literature to explain that what I am doing is legal, is all. Kind of reminds me of these people that use hidden cameras to enter various stores to see what the employees will do with no intent of buying anything. I go into a store to shop and a restaurant to eat not actively and solely to practice my Second Amendment Rights.

ncwabbit

shall we presume your quote OC literature unquote promotes your business interests per se?

and forgive me if i am not quite the energizer bunny in putting a lot of faith in quote If the police do come, I will deal with them unquote type of proposition during this ad hoc meet up.

while i thoroughly enjoy a bite to eat combined in a social environment with like minded companions, i do not feel it is my place to walk the earth and contribute to quote behavioral conditioning unquote of the masses in what appears to be a self serving agenda.

wabbit

Last edited:

BGreenberg

shall we presume your quote OC literature unquote promotes your business interests per se?

and forgive me if i am not quite the energizer bunny in putting a lot of faith in quote If the police do come, I will deal with them unquote type of proposition during this ad hoc meet up.

while i thoroughly enjoy a bite to eat combined in a social environment with like minded companions, i do not feel it is my place to walk the earth and contribute to quote behavioral conditioning unquote of the masses in what appears to be a self serving agenda.

wabbit

None of the literature has my name on it or any reference to me or my business. It is a lawyers letter explaining open carry and Going armed to the terror of the people and a pamphlet from opencarry.org. I am happy to email both of those and other info (not a promo for me) to anyone interested. Shoot me an email or your email address and I will send it to you.

I chose J&S to meet since I cannot find anything in the downtown area that doesn't serve booze. They are centrally located and easy to find and the folks there like guns. You got another idea, I am totally open to it.
And if you have no agenda of your own, than you could CC instead of OC and keep it to yourself.

I deal with training the Sheriffs department here so I think I know a few things more than the average person when it comes to this topic. I talk to people about this all the time. In my younger days when I was politically active I used to be on the speakers board for the NRA and Second Amendment Foundation. I was asked to speak on Larry King Live, 60 minutes here and in France, and other national and local tv and radio shows plus colleges and political rallies. I stood up in front of 50 LEOs, federal, state and local when they were trying to ban cop killer bullets and by the end of the lecture had educated every last one of them on the truth. You don't know me or my agenda. I do this cause I love guns and I don't want to lose them or my rights so I go out and fight for the people that won't or can't. Most of the time I spent doing this, I didn't even have a gun business and I still don't. I train people in safety and self defense with firearms. I have taught more classes for FREE than you can imagine to promote gun safety so people having gun accidents don't make the news and get our rights curtailed. Don't presume to know me or to flame me!

and that is the last I have to say about this on an open forum so talk all the trash you like, I am done

ncwabbit

sorry bennett if you felt diss'd by my comments, but golly geeee your own face book posting calls what you are organizing on this venue a demonstration w/video options!!!! you'll got a permit for your demonstration? were members of the press being invited?

if you feel slighted bennett, sorry did i misquoted your own phrasing in questioning your intention(s)?

so bennett, which are you attempting to do social or political event? which agenda did you have in mind, hummm? (video cam rolling)

wabbit

ps really, you are going to loan out mock blue pistols for a social gathering???

pps nc oc pamphlet hasnt been up dated yet...

Last edited:

ncwabbit

wait just a cotton picking minute here bennett...you told one of your followers (casey) on your face book..(six comment area)

quote Bennett Greenberg Firearms Training ‎@ Nick, yes OC is legal but there are cops and a lot of civilians that are unaware of that so my goal is to increase awareness.
@ Beau snip
@ Casey, Thanks. you need to be 21 to carry a handgun and not get hassled but I do need some video people so I will keep you in mind. Thanks everyone
March 8 at 12:38pm

quote I deal with training the Sheriffs department here so I think I know a few things more than the average person when it comes to this topic. unquote

yepper bennett...you are the rep to promote oc...nice touch telling someone the wrong info but i am sure that comes from hanging out w/sheriffs buddies for way too long

wabbit

ps...me thinks you have diss'd & soiled your own reputation bennett

pss...i cant tell poor casey he was given false info since i do not have facebook

Last edited:

NC-Heel

Video??? Can we go to the Asheville Home Depot OC'ing and have some people with hidden cameras so we can video everyone's actions? I love those type of youtube videos.

NC-Heel

Thought you weren't pushing your beliefs on someone else? Isn't that what demonstrations are? We have all seen your facebook page where you call this a demonstration. Hope no one is carrying at your demonstration, that is illegal in N.C.

North Carolina law further makes it unlawful for any person participating in,
affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line,
or demonstration upon any public place, owned or under the control of the State of
North Carolina, or any of its political subdivisions, to willfully or intentionally possess,
or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-277.2
Persons exempted from the provisions of N.C.G.S. § 14-269(b) are not bound by this
prohibition. These persons are set forth in Paragraph III. A. of this publication. A
concealed handgun permit does not allow a permittee to carry a weapon in these areas.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c

demonstration.jpg

Last edited:

ncwabbit

nc-heel, not to worry about those silly statuates, remember, bennett stated he will assist if the police come he will deal with them!!

more concerned about bennett's comment to casey about needing to be 21 to open carry?

wabbit